Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What brass for 929?

Jory45acp

Since Federal and even Win brass are still impossible to find, what brass options are viable for starting out a new 929 project? All the big factory names seem to no stock in near term, hell even Blazer is a ghost at this point. With a new revolver just sitting here I'm wondering if there is anything to get to start loading for it.  Any realistic options are appreciated. 

Try a local gun club or shooting range for range brass till it comes available. I am fairly new to the 929, so I have learned more than I wanted to know about revolvers. I shoot Open class in USPSA, 1911 style, so my views are a bit skewed. I'm use to a 2.5lb single stage trigger, my 929 had a 14.5lb double action and a 7lb single action pulls, this was definitely not where I wanted to be. Single action is out of the question in USPSA, so I began the quest for the lightest double action pull I could get. Am currently at 5.5lb, (involved a spur less hammer setup) someone else maybe able to get that lower? but 5.5lb will not reliably set off most primers, so Federal primers are the game, now have reliable ignition. Now you have moon clips, there is an assortment, I have .035, .037, and .040, and I understand there maybe more? Which brass for which moon clip? I am still trying to narrow that one out, why, because the bullets will walk out of the cases during recoil, I have never had that issue with a semiauto. Before you get to far with cases, slug your cylinder and barrel, I have read that there are many variances, mine slugged at .358 in the chamber, .357in the throat, and .354 through the barrel. So .358 bullets are what I am using, it has decreased the bullets walking out of the cases, but not completely. Now I am trying different manufacture cases to see if that will stop the walking. Once I iron out the bullet walking out issue, then I will start the process of selecting which moon clips I will use. With the material shortages, this is a bad time to be experimenting. There is some pretty good info on this forum about the 929, good luck.

DAA .040 moons are good with either Blazer or Federal.  Winchester is too tight for DAA  but works well with TK .040 moons.

I use .358  165gr coated in all 6 929’s I reload for.  Never had an issue as I added guns.  I had Dave Olhasso do all our guns.

As for creep, over crimp.  Like really leave a really good indent.  Doesn’t effect accuracy.

and POI can wildly change on 929’s with different ammo.

I use a Lee U die and roll size.  Never had sticky extraction even with a moon with several cracked cases (in practice)

There's a guy local to me that sells once fired, cleaned, and roll sized brass (your choice of headlamp) for 80 bucks per thousand, delivered to your door.

I've found Federal brass with .035 TK moon clips work best for my 929.

PM me if you want his contact info.

Well today I tried 7 different brass in a quest to solve the bullet creeping out while firing. The load is 3.7gr Vectan, 147gr .358 dia Bang and Clang bullets, .378" crimp, Overall length is 1.2 inch, and Federal spp and TK .040" moon clips. Cases are listed by the least to most creep with average velocity and power factor:

CBC    .026"   925fps    135.98pf

S&B    .037"    915fps    134.51pf 

FC      .046"    890fps    130.83pf

WIN    .055"    924fps    135.83pf

Blazzer .068" 889fps     132.15pf

I also tried PMC and A-USA, I discarded their info because, although their bullet creep and pf were good, they would not stay in the TK moon clips.

So now I'm off to my buckets of 9mm brass to look for CBC and S&B brass to continue my quest. I will say that I've been talking with a few revolver shooters, and they suggested to learn to accept a certain amount of creep? I will also try .035 and .037" moon clips in the future. Right now I'm trying to narrow down variables.

17 minutes ago, tomjerry1 said:

Well today I tried 7 different brass in a quest to solve the bullet creeping out while firing. The load is 3.7gr Vectan, 147gr .358 dia Bang and Clang bullets, .378" crimp, Overall length is 1.2 inch, and Federal spp and TK .040" moon clips. Cases are listed by the least to most creep with average velocity and power factor:

CBC    .026"   925fps    135.98pf

S&B    .037"    915fps    134.51pf 

FC      .046"    890fps    130.83pf

WIN    .055"    924fps    135.83pf

Blazzer .068" 889fps     132.15pf

I also tried PMC and A-USA, I discarded their info because, although their bullet creep and pf were good, they would not stay in the TK moon clips.

So now I'm off to my buckets of 9mm brass to look for CBC and S&B brass to continue my quest. I will say that I've been talking with a few revolver shooters, and they suggested to learn to accept a certain amount of creep? I will also try .035 and .037" moon clips in the future. Right now I'm trying to narrow down variables.

Are you using a Lee U sizing die? That solved my bullet creep issue. Well, that and I crimp the s#!t out of my rounds.

Forget measuring crimp.   You need to keep crimping until the bullets don’t move.  don’t worry about indenting rounds.  I also ran a U die.  Again, you need to leave an indent.  It works but there are those here who claim it won’t/shouldn’t 

I personally ran a 165gr N320 @2.8 gr.  I think, it might be 2.9 for 129pf.  I originally used 2.7 for icore @121pf. But the sights return faster at a higher pf.

Brass needs to match moons,  not super tight but loose is bad IMO.  S&B?  They fall out of DAA moons forget it with TK dont waste your time.  WIN brass works with TK.

I also use a Lee FCD.  Again there are eno’s posters who swear it won’t work, resizes bullets etc. But it works.

2 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

loose is bad IMO

Agreed, although I shoot .38 Short in a .357 gun. You need to be much more careful with alignment if the brass wobbles in the moons.

Also agree on the FCD. There are two active parts: a crimp shoulder (larger than the bullet, sized to the brass) and the carbide ring. The crimp shoulder could possibly swage a bullet down, but only the part under the brass, or else the case won't even go all the way into the die. For a 9mm FCD die, the carbide ring has to be bigger than the bullet, because 9mm is tapered. If the carbide ring could size the bullet, you'd have cases with a base diameter of .354" or so—those would rattle in a chamber.

Maybe the .040 are tighter but I had to mix WIN with FED or Blazer.  Win alone wouldn’t work.  Only reason I went all Blazer is I discovered the Blazer were giving me no light strikes.  It was the other 2.  Mind you my guns had rather lousy action “jobs” at the time. But I was committed and worked towards a nice stockpile of Blazer over 3 years.

Lee Undersize Die in second station (1050) factory crimp in last. 
My 929 does not like Zero JHP.  Round nose seems to load smoother for me. 
Actually, after adjusting the trigger spring I am getting reliable ignition.  
 I have been trying using different stamps with no issues. 
I received some polymer moon clips that work just fine.  
Also Federal SPM for primers. 
Shout out to Kodiak Precision for the excellent work.  

• 1 month later...

I have used fc, rp, and speer in both my 929s and all work totally fine.   Right now im using rp because i have like 6k of them.  The rp need the 341 tk pockets.  I load with standard dillion dies, 160 rn hitek bullets, usually 356 only because they tip less on mark 7...

Fed primers, my actions are super light at 3.5 lbs and everyone that finger bangs them says they are to light and shouldnt work yet they do.

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

I get it.  I just had RP fall out of DAA moons when I first started this game.  TK are even looser.  Odd side note RP must use some nasty priming compound,  they are hard to get clean. 

yeah, RP brass, the groove is not SAAMI spec hence the specific clips.   Ended on RP because of a sense of primer pocket tightness/consistency but I think its probably not an issue.   

20 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I found for me in my 929 Federal brass with .035 TK moon clips worked best.

Your millage may vary.

Before my I got my guns from Olhasso I was having light strikes.  One day I was hammering out the rounds and I notice there were no Blazer in the pile.  It was all win and fc.  Just so happens Blazer is the most common brass around here.  I stopped sorting out Blazer at 27k, not including 9k I loaded about 11 times and sold off.  And with .040TK  moons Blazer is  just perfect 

9 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

Before my I got my guns from Olhasso I was having light strikes.  One day I was hammering out the rounds and I notice there were no Blazer in the pile.  It was all win and fc.  Just so happens Blazer is the most common brass around here.  I stopped sorting out Blazer at 27k, not including 9k I loaded about 11 times and sold off.  And with .040TK  moons Blazer is  just perfect 

Yep, I don't think there's one right answer. It's what works best in your gun and your moon clips.

22 hours ago, testosterone said:

yeah, RP brass, the groove is not SAAMI spec hence the specific clips.   Ended on RP because of a sense of primer pocket tightness/consistency but I think its probably not an issue.   

I think you'll find RP brass does fall within the SAAMI spec. The allowable diameter on the groove is .347 - .020

You can find the SAAMI cartridge specifications here: https://saami.org/technical-information/cartridge-chamber-drawings/

Screenshot_20210917-174653.png