Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Lynx Belt - Initial Review

StefVanHauwe

I recently ordered and received the newest DAA Lynx belt system. I put it together for my open handgun and my PCC rigs. I wanted to share my initial observations, tips and points of attention. More interesting Practical Shooting content and polls on the "Community Tab" on my Channel! Let me know in the Comments below ! DVC

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like an interesting concept, and I want to like the idea, but I'm still skeptical for now.  30 links, 29 pins, a buckle, silicone o-ring and 16 or so screws is a LOT of potential points of failure.  Not to say those don't exist in current inner/outer belt combinations also, but it seems as though it's an exponential increase in potential failure points.  

I will say though, it does look nice, and the concept is one i think we will see more of.  Modularity is nice, and the ability to make it compact for travel, coupled with the ability to change sizing by adding or removing links is forward thinking.  I am interested to see how it holds up long term, and how this thought process may drive industry to think outside the box.  

Update 25072021: Lynx belt was still a little to large, which made the holster stand off the inner belt and the magnet and pouches wiggle alot. I removed a link and repositioned the holster. Update after next IPSC training.

16 hours ago, WildPete said:

Did you try to mount other mag carriers/holsters to the Lynx belt besides the DAA branded offerings?

My belt has shipped. When I get it in I’ll try a boss hanger, springer hanger, cr speed pouches, bladetech teclocks, etc. I’ll try to remember to post all my findings in here 

5 hours ago, jpeters11 said:

My belt has shipped. When I get it in I’ll try a boss hanger, springer hanger, cr speed pouches, bladetech teclocks, etc. I’ll try to remember to post all my findings in here 

Thanks, that sounds great. I also ordered a belt and will try my Ghost options on it.

I've got a Lynx sitting in my DAA cart right now.

How "sticky" was the velcro on the Lynx?  And is the velcro the molded type?  I've noticed the brackets on gear tends to push down the velcro behind the belt, which is to be expected, but means if you move things around the belt might not stick as well where the pouch/holster used to be.

The Velcro is super sticky, it is molded into the each individual link. Great system. Very stable and no sag. 

I just finished putting mine together using a ratchet strap instead of the buckle. Not because the buckle is not up to the task but just because I like the ratchet and am used to it. 

I wonder how feasible using a ratchet type system is on this kind of belt...  I would think it would stress the pins, and in turn the molded plastic the pin runs through if you were to tighten the ratchet system a bit too much.   I'm interested to see how these fare throughout a season or two. 

21 hours ago, cbrussell said:

The Velcro is super sticky, it is molded into the each individual link. Great system. Very stable and no sag. 

I just finished putting mine together using a ratchet strap instead of the buckle. Not because the buckle is not up to the task but just because I like the ratchet and am used to it. 

How did you end up attaching your ratchet system?  I got the Lynx and didn't like it as much as my SC belt with ratchet.  It seemed to sag a little with my open gun.  Having said that, I also think I fall between links and if they had a half link it would work better for me.  However, if I can ratchet that mutha, it may be the best of both worlds.

The Velcro is super sticky!!  And also, you can fit the Safariland 015 holster.  It's snug, but it fits.

I used a 1/4 x 20 tee nut set into the back of the end links. Then attached the ratchet assembly with a screws. I used this 

https://m2inc.biz/product/single-ratcheting-padded-click-strap-rps/#padded-strap. I used a 7 inch flexible strap on the other side.

I made the belt smaller so this attaches in the front with no overlap. I also attached some Velcro to the back of the padded sleeve.

Seems to work well so far. Time will tell.

7 minutes ago, cbrussell said:

I used a 1/4 x 20 tee nut set into the back of the end links. Then attached the ratchet assembly with a screws. I used this 

https://m2inc.biz/product/single-ratcheting-padded-click-strap-rps/#padded-strap. I used a 7 inch flexible strap on the other side.

I made the belt smaller so this attaches in the front with no overlap. I also attached some Velcro to the back of the padded sleeve.

Seems to work well so far. Time will tell.

Excellent, thanks.  I'm assuming you just drilled through the links to mount the buckle and strap.

Got my belt in. Boss hanger is fine, everglades holster is good. Surprisingly, I was able to get CR speed pouches on my Lynx. Probably not ideal since they take up more than 1 link, but I got one on there. I can’t find my Springer hanger, but I assume it’d work just as well. 

Honestly, I’m not the biggest fan of the belt and I’ll be sticking my my normal DAA. It’s a bit more of a pain to put on and I didn’t see any upside compared to the older belt. 

F0C5465F-3E48-409B-A38E-5261A4B1A0C2.jpeg

D649E283-2178-4976-B500-04825B099CCB.jpeg

C1409D57-294F-4FE4-96CD-7B3F9FE7E5CC.jpeg

Haven’t tried it, but for CR speed pouches, a hole could be drilled in a link with a tee nut inserted for direct mounting. I’m surprised DAA didn’t release these with sockets for Alpha Xi pouches. 

Update: About the wiggling of the pouches and magnets: DAA contacted me and stated that it's best to install the brackets with screws directly onto the hinges, and not on the links themselves. This will improve the fit and avoind wiggling of the gear.

1 hour ago, StefVanHauwe said:

Update: About the wiggling of the pouches and magnets: DAA contacted me and stated that it's best to install the brackets with screws directly onto the hinges, and not on the links themselves. This will improve the fit and avoind wiggling of the gear.

I am having this issue, not a huge problem but an annoyance. Question; if I understand correctly, install the magazine pouch with one of the screw brackets directly over the hinge, with the other being on the link?