Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Dies lead time?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke with Dillon Precision in late May (24th) and was told that what few carbide dies they are receiving are being used to support their 9mm press orders.  When I say few he described and several forum members here have posted just now receiving their January 2021 complete press orders in the last couple of weeks….Because of the comments from forum friends here I changed mt complete RL1100 press order with 9mm dies to no dies and my unit is in transit now (about a month later)…

The Dillon CS rep stated that they were running 9-12 months behind right now on receiving the carbide 9mm dies they need to support their complete press backorders and this did not account for stand alone die orders….This is all the details he provided.  If you call I am sure they can provide you a more detailed update….Mark

I wonder what is causing the die shortage?

I was able to find a set of Dillon 9mm and .380 dies a couple of months ago just by calling a few local gun shops that I knew stocked a some Dillon supplies. Also grabbed a spare parts kit for my 550 which was long overdue. 

5 hours ago, Cuz said:

I was able to find a set of Dillon 9mm and .380 dies a couple of months ago just by calling a few local gun shops that I knew stocked a some Dillon supplies. Also grabbed a spare parts kit for my 550 which was long overdue. 

Dillon rep said they were sourcing carbide rings in Israel and covid severely impacted shipped and then the conflict made it worse.

Rumor mill is they have been looking to source elsewhere and may have found a solution. But the backorders are still huge.

12 hours ago, Cuz said:

I think this is the best way to find Dillon carbide die sets at reasonable prices. I am betting most gun stores that have a small reloading section do not order replacement items until they sell an item(s) and when they go to reorder that is when they realize the situation/cost issues…..

8 hours ago, Furrly said:

There are much better dies out there then dillion

. Readly avilable 

Sometimes, it could be helpful to offer up your opinion of which dies are better, so we don’t have to wait a day for someone to ask you, and then another day for you to reply. 

maybe you could have said there are much better dies out there, such as…

:)

27 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Sometimes, it could be helpful to offer up your opinion of which dies are better, so we don’t have to wait a day for someone to ask you, and then another day for you to reply. 

maybe you could have said there are much better dies out there, such as…

:)

RCBS, LEE, REDDING.. just to name a few 

3 hours ago, Furrly said:

RCBS, LEE, REDDING.. just to name a few 

thanks, I always thought they were all pretty much equal, but I’ve only ever used Dillon or Lee dies. 

3 hours ago, Cuz said:

thanks, I always thought they were all pretty much equal, but I’ve only ever used Dillon or Lee dies. 

Anytime!, I personally think Dillion is at the bottom of this list. when I started Loading I used Dillion as well since I own several of there presses but i had nothing but issues with there dies. I.e. sizing issues, de-capping issues 

14 minutes ago, N7VY said:

I was in Dillons last week and we were talking about dies. They said that they have 90% failure rate for the carbide part of the dies.

What exactly does that mean?

How do they fail?  What happens?  Will I know it when a die I’m using fails?

The carbide portion of the dies aren’t making it through Dillons quality control. Not sure how many companies make that type of product but I would think that Dillons would have other suppliers if there were any. I’m sure the China virus has effected all of this. I’ve looked at other die companies and the supply is limited. Good thing dies don’t really wear out. 

54 minutes ago, N7VY said:

The carbide portion of the dies aren’t making it through Dillons quality control. Not sure how many companies make that type of product but I would think that Dillons would have other suppliers if there were any. I’m sure the China virus has effected all of this. I’ve looked at other die companies and the supply is limited. Good thing dies don’t really wear out. 

okay, so the 90% failure rate isn’t on the dies they’re selling. Those have (hopefully) already passed the quality control phase. It’s on the dies coming into Dillon to be sold, right????

WOW - I guess this is why Dillon is struggling to provide complete reloading press systems (with dies) and what is causing their delays…I hate to hear this because I am sure there are limited sources for Carbide Dies available and qualifying a secondary or back up supplier must not be easy…..Hope they can get this part of their business turned around. 

From the Dillon rep in discord, they source from California and Israel and the covid lockdowns have really hurt both areas and the quality has suffered as a result. I'm sure there are other suppliers but since all dies have been in demand I'm sure no one is taking on new products to make as they are likely already at capacity.