Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Dies lead time?

3 minutes ago, AKJD said:

I called Dillon today to order a steel .223 trim die and they said 2-3 month wait. I load in the winter so not in a hurry.

Lyman have the .223 Pro trim die in stock. I bought one as a spare for my Dillon Carbide trim die. it’s $59 plus shipping now. It used to be $42 plus shipping. 

https://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman-pro-trim-dies

Edited by George16

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, George16 said:

Lyman have the .223 Pro trim die in stock. I bought one as a spare for my Dillon Carbide trim die. it’s $39 plus shipping. They also offer a 10% military discount.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman-pro-trim-dies

I wonder if they just increased prices. It says $39 but when you select the type it shows $52. But it is free shipping over $50.

Any insight into the quality? Was looking at whidden but they are out of stock.

1 minute ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I wonder if they just increased prices. It says $39 but when you select the type it shows $52. But it is free shipping over $50.

Any insight into the quality? Was looking at whidden but they are out of stock.

I have not used it yet. But by the looks of it, the quality is good. There are no burrs or nicks that I have seen when I checked it with a magnifying lens.

I won’t hesitate using it once my Dillon trim die wears out.

4 minutes ago, George16 said:

I have not used it yet. But by the looks of it, the quality is good. There are no burrs or nicks that I have seen when I checked it with a magnifying lens.

I won’t hesitate using it once my Dillon trim die wears out.

Thanks. I may have to order one then since it's in stock.

10 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Thanks. I may have to order one then since it's in stock.

Yeah, give it a try. It’s better than waiting for months on out for a different brand. Remember, they also offer these Pro Dies for use on their automated presses.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, 3gunDMD said:

Do these also full length resize like the dillon trim dies?

I also have the Lyman trim die that comes with the Mark 7 trimmer kit. I can confirm that it does size, to what degree I don't know. I sized a case on a dillon carbide sizer die and it fits very snug into the Lyman trim die, almost doesn't fully insert. I would assume it sizes even further than the Dillon sizing die. Which makes me think that I should use a universal decapper on the initial station and have the trimmer die do the sizing for me. I hope someone can confirm on this for us.

9 minutes ago, Baragasam said:

I also have the Lyman trim die that comes with the Mark 7 trimmer kit. I can confirm that it does size, to what degree I don't know. I sized a case on a dillon carbide sizer die and it fits very snug into the Lyman trim die, almost doesn't fully insert. I would assume it sizes even further than the Dillon sizing die. Which makes me think that I should use a universal decapper on the initial station and have the trimmer die do the sizing for me. I hope someone can confirm on this for us.

Sounds similar to the dillon trim die. I use the dillon 223 decap/resizer before the trimmer - but I don't have have it down nearly as far as I would if I were using it to resize on its own.  The trim die trims and does the rest of the resizing.   Good to know that there are other options. Dillons dies have gone up a ton in price the last year or so.  

3 minutes ago, 3gunDMD said:

Sounds similar to the dillon trim die. I use the dillon 223 decap/resizer before the trimmer - but I don't have have it down nearly as far as I would if I were using it to resize on its own.  The trim die trims and does the rest of the resizing.   Good to know that there are other options. Dillons dies have gone up a ton in price the last year or so.  

Oh I see, so you use the trimmer dies to do the final sizing step while the initial sizer does the majority portion of the sizing. Back in 2020 I was inquiring M7 about what I need to start trimming brass on my press, they told me to just get the Bosch trimmer kit as it has Bosch's warranty on the router motor. Come to find out the die that came with the kit fits way too deep into the tool head so I think I may need to get their offset tool head now. Had they told me back then....

4 minutes ago, Baragasam said:

Oh I see, so you use the trimmer dies to do the final sizing step while the initial sizer does the majority portion of the sizing. Back in 2020 I was inquiring M7 about what I need to start trimming brass on my press, they told me to just get the Bosch trimmer kit as it has Bosch's warranty on the router motor. Come to find out the die that came with the kit fits way too deep into the tool head so I think I may need to get their offset tool head now. Had they told me back then....

Nice, I didn't know they made a trimmer as well.  What a pain though!  The dillon RT1500 has worked pretty well for 223 so far.  

Just now, 3gunDMD said:

Nice, I didn't know they made a trimmer as well.  What a pain though!  The dillon RT1500 has worked pretty well for 223 so far.  

Lyman acquired Mark 7 a year or so ago. And indeed Lyman made their own trimmer for Mark 7 presses. But the Bosch one is just a kit they piece mealed together with Dillon vacuum housing kit, Lyman pro trim die and their version of the honey badger trimmer adapter. In several ways I wished I would've just gotten Dillon everything and get the Mark 7 auto drive. The M7 powder measure hardware also broke on me with their custom machined bolts snapping. I've gotten 50/50 customer service since. 

1 minute ago, Baragasam said:

Lyman acquired Mark 7 a year or so ago. And indeed Lyman made their own trimmer for Mark 7 presses. But the Bosch one is just a kit they piece mealed together with Dillon vacuum housing kit, Lyman pro trim die and their version of the honey badger trimmer adapter. In several ways I wished I would've just gotten Dillon everything and get the Mark 7 auto drive. The M7 powder measure hardware also broke on me with their custom machined bolts snapping. I've gotten 50/50 customer service since. 

That's too bad - dillon customer service is usually pretty great.  

4 minutes ago, 3gunDMD said:

That's too bad - dillon customer service is usually pretty great.  

Right, I've had no problems with them replying me with updates on my shipment so far and I heard they are good at warranty broken parts as well. I definitely regret not getting the RL1100 instead...

54 minutes ago, Baragasam said:

Yes, you’ll definitely need the offset/trim tool head or else you won’t be able to mount the Bosch trimmer properly. 

I’m using the Bosch trimmer/Dillon carbide trim die on my processing tool head.

49-AA2-D6-F-1-B0-A-4-BA5-8175-464851-BE2

@George16 thanks for the picture and reply. After tinkering around yesterday with the trimmer and my standard Evo toolhead there is no way a 223 case will clear the tool head, you are right. I am working on getting the offset tool head from M7. I just wish I knew sooner when I was inquiring their CS back then about my whole reloading process. Nice setup!

29 minutes ago, Baragasam said:

@George16 thanks for the picture and reply. After tinkering around yesterday with the trimmer and my standard Evo toolhead there is no way a 223 case will clear the tool head, you are right. I am working on getting the offset tool head from M7. I just wish I knew sooner when I was inquiring their CS back then about my whole reloading process. Nice setup!

Thank you.

No worries. I made the same mistake myself 😉.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/8/2021 at 8:22 PM, Baragasam said:

Update on this, I just received my 223 carbide die set about 2 months ago. Still waiting on the Carbide pistol dies since February. 

I ordered .223 dies January 2021 still don't have them. It appears they are not filling orders in order they are received.