Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Johnny glock competition trigger gen 5 g34 customer review

Bunnies4r5

Hey guys,

So I have been using Johnny glock triggers in all my glocks for awhile now. I always went with his combat trigger as my 19 and 43x are primarily self defense guns. I got into uspsa a few months ago and I'm slowly working towards B class, right now my scores are typically high C. During League I'm pretty consistently getting B percentages but that's against other league members and not the national grandmasters. We do have 1 Grand Master and 3 or 4 Masters at our club, all but 1 of the Masters is shooting CO.

When I decided to pull the trigger on a g34 I wanted the best trigger I could get for it, it was between Johnny glock or timney and I went with Johnny's because I know his products well and I was wary of the sluggish reset from the timney.

So it arrived yesterday and I got out to the range for some practice last night and wow this trigger feels amazing. Break weight is sub 3lb, reset is amazing and break is nice and clean. I'm using a polished 4.5lb striker spring with an oem firing pin, reduced weight plunger spring and Johnny glock polished plunger. This is my first time going down to 4.5lb striker spring and my primer strikes where totally good to go. I shot about 300 rounds of wwb, with no light strikes. During actual competition or league I use federal 9mm.

It is very unique because although I have a gen 5 g34 he uses a gen 3 trigger bar with gen 5 housing. It really changes the break feel and reset feel and sound for the better. When it first arrived I thought he sent me the wrong trigger but he explained to me why he uses the gen 3 bar.

The only downside to this trigger is the price. With the flat face trigger shoe it was $290 but honestly it's worth it. I have felt a bunch of different glock triggers and it doesn't matter if it's the combat or the competition I have never felt a trigger that feels as good as his. I use the combat in my 19 and 43x and those both feel great as well. They have a more pronounced wall than the competition but still break around 4 to 5lb depending on striker spring.

I would like to shoot the timney trigger at some point but I am really happy with my decision. If you are in the market for a glock trigger I suggest you start out at Johnnyglocks.com

Could you elaborate on the gen5 housing and the gen3 trigger bar. Do you have a gen3 gun or a gen5? The gen5 housing does not have the hole for the trigger return spring to be able to use the gen3 bar. And vice versa. The gen5 bar does not have the drop leg to attach the trigger spring. Could you maybe take some pics?

8 minutes ago, rooster said:

Could you elaborate on the gen5 housing and the gen3 trigger bar. Do you have a gen3 gun or a gen5? The gen5 housing does not have the hole for the trigger return spring to be able to use the gen3 bar. And vice versa. The gen5 bar does not have the drop leg to attach the trigger spring. Could you maybe take some pics?

I can take some pictures tomorrow when I clean it after league but to better elaborate, I have a gen 5 glock 34. His competition gen 5 trigger uses a gen 3 bar with with a gen 5 housing. The bar is modified to work with the gen 5 style trigger return spring so it fits in the little piece of metal attached to the gen 5 return spring in the same way a gen 5 bar does.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 11:08 AM, Bunnies4r5 said:

Hey guys,

So I have been using Johnny glock triggers in all my glocks for awhile now. I always went with his combat trigger as my 19 and 43x are primarily self defense guns. I got into uspsa a few months ago and I'm slowly working towards B class, right now my scores are typically high C. During League I'm pretty consistently getting B percentages but that's against other league members and not the national grandmasters. We do have 1 Grand Master and 3 or 4 Masters at our club, all but 1 of the Masters is shooting CO.

When I decided to pull the trigger on a g34 I wanted the best trigger I could get for it, it was between Johnny glock or timney and I went with Johnny's because I know his products well and I was wary of the sluggish reset from the timney.

So it arrived yesterday and I got out to the range for some practice last night and wow this trigger feels amazing. Break weight is sub 3lb, reset is amazing and break is nice and clean. I'm using a polished 4.5lb striker spring with an oem firing pin, reduced weight plunger spring and Johnny glock polished plunger. This is my first time going down to 4.5lb striker spring and my primer strikes where totally good to go. I shot about 300 rounds of wwb, with no light strikes. During actual competition or league I use federal 9mm.

It is very unique because although I have a gen 5 g34 he uses a gen 3 trigger bar with gen 5 housing. It really changes the break feel and reset feel and sound for the better. When it first arrived I thought he sent me the wrong trigger but he explained to me why he uses the gen 3 bar.

The only downside to this trigger is the price. With the flat face trigger shoe it was $290 but honestly it's worth it. I have felt a bunch of different glock triggers and it doesn't matter if it's the combat or the competition I have never felt a trigger that feels as good as his. I use the combat in my 19 and 43x and those both feel great as well. They have a more pronounced wall than the competition but still break around 4 to 5lb depending on striker spring.

I would like to shoot the timney trigger at some point but I am really happy with my decision. If you are in the market for a glock trigger I suggest you start out at Johnnyglocks.com

I’ve been going between the two triggers for my CO gun, but I’m not sure I want to plunk the money for both triggers. Sounds like it’s hard to go wrong either way 

I've had 4 of his triggers.  3 combat triggers and 1 competition trigger.  I didn't care for the competition trigger at all.  Sure it was light, but kinda mushy with no distinct wall.  His combat triggers are not light, but they are super short and crisp.

Hard pass on any trigger that need a 4.5# spring for me. It’s not worth the risk for a slight reduction in pull weight. 

The Timney delivers a 2.5# pull with a slightly long reset using a stock 5.5# spring. I’ll take that reliability all day long. 

Timney > all

Hi Dirty_J,

I’ve been running JG  Competition Triggers in my 3 Glocks for the past  3 or 4 years. They all have the 4.5# springs and I haven’t experienced any light hits. I use factory ammo and the guns go bang every time. Super reliable for me.  

8 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

Hard pass on any trigger that need a 4.5# spring for me. It’s not worth the risk for a slight reduction in pull weight. 

The Timney delivers a 2.5# pull with a slightly long reset using a stock 5.5# spring. I’ll take that reliability all day long. 

Timney > all

Mine did not even come close to that weight.

57 minutes ago, JBP55 said:

Mine did not even come close to that weight.

Which model gun and which Gen? 

My backup bone stock Gen 5 34 gave me 2lb 4.6oz with the Timney. 

My primary Gen 5 34 that had a TTI GM kit in it and all polished up gave 1lb 15oz with the Timney. 

21 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

Which model gun and which Gen? 

My backup bone stock Gen 5 34 gave me 2lb 4.6oz with the Timney. 

My primary Gen 5 34 that had a TTI GM kit in it and all polished up gave 1lb 15oz with the Timney. 

Ten pull average on my trigger gauge 3# 6 oz. on a Gen 5 G45 and Gen 5 G17.

• 1 month later...

I don't mean to s#!t on JG because I love his YT videos but I didn't find the trigger to be worth anywhere near the price.  The trigger kit I bought was over $300 after options and would frequently double fire until I replaced the connector with a Ghost.  I eventually sold it and have just been using a Ghost connector and light striker spring and have found it to be 90-95% as good for a fraction of the price and completely reliable.  The only other competitor I know personaly that's had a JG trigger had reliability issues with it too. 

I don't have any experience with the Timney trigger but I'd be looking at that if I was in the market but at this point I don't feel like the trigger is holding me back.

• 1 month later...