Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing Protection

chrsb

I was shooting a match yesterday and noticed on the further out Targets I was having issues hearing the report. I don’t wait for the report to transition targets and sometimes can’t see the hit. Is there a brand of hearing protection you guys recommend that has fast response time. I’m currently using Peltor 500 tactical. Maybe I’m just getting old. 

If you are shooting rimfire, just turn it up.  If centerfire you'll have to make a judgement.  They use analog circuitry, so the attack time is relatively long.  It is long enough that you hear the beginning of the bang before it turn it down.  There are electronic muffs out there with digital circuitry with attack times as low a a millisecond.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

If you are shooting rimfire, just turn it up.  If centerfire you'll have to make a judgement.  They use analog circuitry, so the attack time is relatively long.  It is long enough that you hear the beginning of the bang before it turn it down.  There are electronic muffs out there with digital circuitry with attack times as low a a millisecond.

I thought I had them all

the way up. I’ll play with them some more. I am shooting rimfire. Pistol and rifle. 

I know that certain locations where I shoot I have a very hard time hearing hits even on plates at 20 yards or so.  It must be the acoustics of the individual bays.  For instance, when I shoot at Quantico, I have to have my volume all the way up or else I can't hear anything. The echoes are bad enough that I usually try to time starting my strings in between when the people next to me are shooting, just to eliminate some of the echoes.

However, at Area 8 this past week I could was able to use my Decibullz in ear with the percussive filters with no issues.

I was a professional musician and DJ for a long time, so my hearing is far from perfect, but I am definitely better off shooting at some locations than others.

I am shooting rimfire as well, and using the Walker slim ear pro.  I would imagine if I went with some better quality electronic ear pro it would probably help.

I use 3M Peltor TEP-100 ear buds. Rechargable.  Two levels of sound control.  They are a bit pricey.  Took a little time to get used to them in the ear.  Most matches I runs on lowest level.  There is a match that has the plates against a horizontal bottom bar that tends to mute the ringing sound.  I usually "re-set" them around stage 3 to insure full match.  I use the highest sound level for this match.  Steel matches that use a bolt and spring or swinging hook make the loudest sound....love those matches.

I have a short neck and I find external ear muffs can interfer with with my butt stock...RFRO and PCCO.  

Good luck....

I, too, use the 3M Peltor TEP-100's with the foam skull screws.  I don't like muffs covering my ears.  When i step to the line i amplify the ears to hear better.  When done i take them back to the normal setting.  Of course this also does depend on the location and the plates.  I've shot some places where their plates are dead.  even hitting them with a PCC they just don't report.  

Any suggestions for something decent in the $150 range?  I know that may be a stretch, but it helps to keep within the ol' budget.  Plus, not getting divorced would be a plus... 

On 5/26/2021 at 10:47 AM, chrsb said:

I’ll take a look at the Peltor TEP-100. I’m also looking at Etymotic Gunsport

I looked at Etymotic Gunsport.  Nice looking.  I asked Etymotic for a comparison to Peltor TEP-100....NRR and dB, etc.  To my surprise, Etymotic answered promptly and said the Etymontic GSP15 was comparable to Peltor 100.  Sign of good company to me.

Looking closer at Etymotic, which is a bit cheaper than Peltor, it appears that each earbud has a battery and the case is for safe carrying......batteries are not chargable.  Double check me on this for sure.  Peltor's are recharegable and the charging is in the carrying case.  This could be the only real difference and perhaps the source of the added cost.

Both look good to me as a Peltor user.

Good luck.

I use the Peltor TEP-100. I have tried several in ear solutions and the TEP-100 have been the best for me. I use the Skull Screw foam tips to get the max rating. Peltor also makes an EEP-100 version that are green and come in a case that can charge the units with a USB cable but do not have a battery in the case to charge the plugs without a USB like the TEP-100 has. The EEP-100 is supposed to be the same otherwise and is much less expensive and may be worth checking out. These guys are good to deal with..

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/3m-peltor-eep-100-electronic-earplug-kit.html

21 hours ago, jrdoran said:

@chrsb

How are the EEP-100 working out ?  Have you had a chance to use them ? 

Haven’t received them yet. Ordered from Environmental Safety on 5/29, still hasn’t shipped. 

14 hours ago, Texaspaul said:

So I have higher end hearing loss and need to increase the sound a 22LR makes against steel challenge targets, are there any headphone that have a forward facing pickups to increase the ping?

They all have forward facing pickups and they are all equipped with omnidirectional mics.  Your problem will be the lower frequencies that are not reduced as much by muffs as the higher frequencies are.  So as you increase the level to hear the high frequency pings you risk getting too much low frequency sound.  I'll echo what others have said.  You do not wait for the ping before moving on to the next target.  You call you shot, then move.  The sound is only a conformation while you are transitioning to the next target.  Waiting for the ping is much, much slower.  I'll also say that if you have the guts to let your subconscious do the targeting, you will be even faster.

"The sound is only a conformation while you are transitioning to the next target."

I think this is one of the hardest skills to master in steel challenge and the key to unlocking real speed.

7 hours ago, EarlKeese said:

I ordered same day. Was told they're backordered until July.

I sent an email asking if they had the TEP-200 in stock and if I could switch. After a couple emails, a salesman called me and gave me a deal on the TEP and free 2 day shipping. As we were talking he said they had one EEP in stock(this was yesterday). I decided to switch to TEP. So if you email or call  they might have it in stock. 

Edited by chrsb