Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon clip saver

BadShot

2 hours ago, Toolguy said:

How does it save moonclips (bent ones, I presume)? There is no explanation or information about it on their website, only a way to buy one.

There's some high-level instructions and a few photos on its product page: https://tkcustom.com/products/accessories/moonclipsavertool/moon-clip-saver-tool

By popular demand the TK Custom Moon Clip Saver Tool is back in stock! This tool can straighten bent full moon clips.

Moon Clip Saver Tool

S&W 6, 7 & 8 - Shot (User Instructions)

A Hard-flat surface is recommended to push against.

• Place the bent moon clip onto the beveled depression/machined circle in the base.
  • Place the center press pin starting angle “B” facing out, into the top.
  • Insert top assembly into the base holding the bent moon clip.
  • Give several forceful presses down onto the moon clip, flip the moon clip over and repeat.
  • Do this until one side of the moon clip (is cupped at this point) has all the outside edges resting evenly on a flat surface.
  • Reverse the center press pin so finishing angle “A” is facing out, and reinsert into the top.
  • Place the moon clip with the cupped side down into the beveled depression/machined circle of the base.
  • Insert the top assembly into the base.
  • Press down on the moon clip tool and gradually lighten the pressure until the moon clip is straight.
    • A Hard-flat surface is recommended to push against.
  • Check for straightness/flatness on the flat bottom of the base.
  • Repeat the steps if necessary, until moon clip is straight and flat.
Edited by matteekay

I got my moon clip saver this morning.  I had 11 moon clips to fix.  9 of them went smooth as can be, some required 4-5 of the required pressing down.  2 of them required all of that and some tweaking of the prongs with a pair of needle nosed pliers like Mike mentioned.  But all of them now go thru my moon clip checker, which has much tighter tolerances that my revolver.  Very good product that works just like everyone said that it would.  Again, thanks for your input...