Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Walls...What Happened to the Walls?

RacerX1166

Having taken 2009 through 2018 (and most of 2019 / all of 2020) off from the sport (and paying zero attention to it), it's been interesting to see what's changed and what hasn't, both in the sport itself and equipment race.  One of the most significant I've hit on is how stages are designed and constructed.  Specifically, with few exceptions, walls appear to be universally built with snow fencing, instead of plywood or another opaque material.  They've become simple boundaries, with the vision barrier component removed, which creates a different dynamic when shooting a stage.  I've also noticed there's a lot more backing up and such that we previously avoided like the plague.  I'm guessing that bit was added to spice up stages, now that you could see targets at a position long before you reached the appropriate port?

TLDR - Was there a conscious decision to make all the walls out of snow fencing?

18 minutes ago, RacerX1166 said:

Having taken 2009 through 2018 (and most of 2019 / all of 2020) off from the sport (and paying zero attention to it), it's been interesting to see what's changed and what hasn't, both in the sport itself and equipment race.  One of the most significant I've hit on is how stages are designed and constructed.  Specifically, with few exceptions, walls appear to be universally built with snow fencing, instead of plywood or another opaque material.  They've become simple boundaries, with the vision barrier component removed, which creates a different dynamic when shooting a stage.  I've also noticed there's a lot more backing up and such that we previously avoided like the plague.  I'm guessing that bit was added to spice up stages, now that you could see targets at a position long before you reached the appropriate port?

TLDR - Was there a conscious decision to make all the walls out of snow fencing?

There were a couple incidents where competitors were caught down range and not seen.. then most started moving to snow fence... 

Snow fence is also a Hell of a lot lighter and easier on the setup/teardown crew.  IDK if it was a conscious decision, or just a good idea that took off

1 hour ago, RacerX1166 said:

There was an infamous video of some dufus collecting brass while a shooter was ripping down a stage.  That might have had something to do with it.

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

There was an infamous video of some dufus collecting brass while a shooter was ripping down a stage.  That might have had something to do with it.

This played a big part of our entire section moving to mesh walls

I have been downrange taping targets when the RO started the "Make Ready" cycle.  That was back during the days of solid walls and lack of visibility for the RO over the stage.  As an RO, I like the mesh walls and the ability to see the stage well enough to ensure safety.

The original impetus, as I recall from 25 or so years ago when I first came across them, was they were less prone to blowing over in high winds.  Additional benefits included they were much lighter and way cheaper to make.  Later, it was decided they improved visibility for all concerned making the game safer and more fun to watch.

11 hours ago, RJH said:

Snow fence is also a Hell of a lot lighter and easier on the setup/teardown crew.  IDK if it was a conscious decision, or just a good idea that took off

our setup crew is a bunch of older retired guys. The young range ninjas are too busy practicing...

On 5/17/2021 at 8:01 AM, Schutzenmeister said:

The original impetus, as I recall from 25 or so years ago when I first came across them, was they were less prone to blowing over in high winds.  Additional benefits included they were much lighter and way cheaper to make.  Later, it was decided they improved visibility for all concerned making the game safer and more fun to watch.

The berms at the club were built from dirt generated by an expressway dig quite a few years ago and are about 65' tall.  They act like reverse chimneys, sucking wind to the range floor.  The plywood walls had to be staked on both ends with support beams that ran to the ground or they would blow over.  Sometimes they still blew over, even with the double direction supports on both ends.  It really sucked when you were coming into a shooting position and the wall suddenly came at you.....

Snow fence became the way.

BC