Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Casefeeder keeps jamming

so i've been running my case feeder hard with 9mm for a project to sort brass by headstamp, and the case feeder keeps jamming up and stalling the motor.  Brass is getting lodged between the sidewall of the bowl and the small pistol plate.  Have to turn the case feeder power off, and manually turn the plate backwards (counterclockwise) about 1/8-1/4 of a turn then power it back up to get it to work....   

I've cleaned the case feeder up of any debris and wiped it out with a rag.  Any ideas what the fix is? 

The new Dillon variable speed case feed motor are very weak and prone to failing.  You put in 500 pieces of brass, it will not have enough torque to turn the case feed plate.

The motor overheats and shuts down.  Once cooled, it will work again.

The fix is to get a much better and (2X+ torque) casefeed motor from Immortal Arms.    Mark is in the process of making the case feed motor with sensors to check brass and prevent it from "waterfalling."   Should be out anytime now.

https://immortobot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=315

I have the case feed motor upgrade and it is very fast and durable.  Can process over 6K pieces of brass per hour on the Rollsizer.

Disclaimer:  not affiliated with any vendor and I paid for all my stuff.

Edited by 67isb

10 minutes ago, 67isb said:

The new Dillon variable speed case feed motor are very weak and prone to failing.  You put in 500 pieces of brass, it will not have enough torque to turn the case feed plate.

The fix is to get a much better and (2X+ torque) casefeed motor from Immortal Arms.    Mark is in the process of making the case feed motor with sensors to check brass and prevent it from "waterfalling."   Should be out anytime now.

I have the case feed motor upgrade and it is very fast and durable.  Can process over 6K pieces of brass per hour on the Rollsizer.

I agree. I think the variable speed motor is weak. Too many cases = not happy.

And it fails. I'm on my second. First failed after about 40k.

After the next failure I'll get the Immortal Arms upgrade.

I’m thinking of installing one of 550 motors from one of my old RC truck when my casefeeder’s motor go out. The 550 motors (made by Mabuchi) are more powerful than the stock caseffeder motor. This motor used to power up my 12 Lb Traxxas Emaxx.

4 hours ago, 67isb said:

I would love to see this new product; I am sorely in need of a waterfall solution.

On 5/6/2021 at 6:18 PM, Jsjac said:

Do you have the spacer washer under the shell plate?

I'm not sure, i'll have to check, it's possible i misplaced it.

22 hours ago, ddc said:

Is this a new problem? Has it worked ok in the past?

It worked ok before I moved!  I've had nothing but problems since

It's definitely jamming, i can't even manually advance the shell plate without a lot of effort..  I have to turn off the motor and spin it backwards.  

18 minutes ago, FingerBlaster said:

@67isb That looks nice, might be worth looking into.  I have an older style case feeder with the High/Low switch.

The Immortal Arms motor upgrade is definitely worth it.  Much more powerful and faster than the stock Dillon motor.   It is really a shame that Dillon would cheapen out with a under powered AC motor instead of using DC motor which will have more torque.  I'm sure it was all based on making as cheap as possible.  I will be upgrading all of my Dillon case feeders with Immortal Arms motor upgrade.  I've yet to be disappointed with anything they make.  

2 hours ago, FingerBlaster said:

I'm not sure, i'll have to check, it's possible i misplaced it.

It worked ok before I moved!  I've had nothing but problems since

It's definitely jamming, i can't even manually advance the shell plate without a lot of effort..  I have to turn off the motor and spin it backwards.  

I'm wondering if something got tweaked during your move or something was left out when reassembled.

19 hours ago, ddc said:

I'm wondering if something got tweaked during your move or something was left out when reassembled.

I'm thinking tweaked, i double checked everything it seems fine.  The case feeder is kind of old and beat up, lot of scratches/gouges inside the bowl and on the shell plate, wondering if that's causing an issue.

11 hours ago, RGA said:

Fwiw, this happens to me when I place a Dillon caseplate in the Hornady casefeed my MK7 press came with..... I tried that for fun.

definitely using all dillon gear.

On 5/6/2021 at 1:15 PM, FingerBlaster said:

so i've been running my case feeder hard with 9mm for a project to sort brass by headstamp, and the case feeder keeps jamming up and stalling the motor

Try running it slower?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 1:51 PM, ysrracer said:

Try running it slower?

I tried, it jams and stalls more frequently.  It isn't due to the weight of the cases, something is mechanically jamming the case plate. If i try to manually spin it forwards you can feel something is bound up and it won't go without a fair bit of force, but if i spin backwards a bit, then forwards it's fine.

4 minutes ago, FingerBlaster said:

I tried, it jams and stalls more frequently.  It isn't due to the weight of the cases, something is mechanically jamming the case plate. If i try to manually spin it forwards you can feel something is bound up and it won't go without a fair bit of force, but if i spin backwards a bit, then forwards it's fine.

Mine does that on occasion. Thankfully not often enough to be more than a minor irritant.

I could see it being quite annoying depending upon frequency of occurrence.

• 7 months later...

In the process of switching my 650 over from 38 special to 9mm and got lots of jams in the casefeeder.  Never had a problem with 38 special.  Small disk for both.  No spacer.  Put the casefeed adapter in.  The worst was when a case would cock up at about 45 degreed and jam between the casefeeder disk and the tab on the shell that is designed to tip the cases upright.  I had to push the casefeed disk backward and flick the case out with the other hand.  Looked at it and decided that problem was the casefeeder disk.  The edges of the openings are sharp and also have a small burr.  Took a small half-round file and rounded the front of the disk and just took the burr off the other three edges.  Not perfect but much better.  Also had to turn the clutch adjustment up about a half of a turn for 9mm cases vice 38 special.  

Tom-C

• 2 weeks later...

I just started a 750 with case feeder with 9mm recently.  Test runs with 100-200 cases fed flawlessly, but yesterday I loaded up the case feeder with around 500 cases.  It began to stick pretty regularly, with a single case jammed in the 2nd or 3rd hole in the plate before the drop - right about where the shell is stood up vertically.  The case was jammed between the shell plate hole and some obstruction on the inside of the bowl.  I'm going to take it down and see if there are flaws in the side of the bowl that I can sand and smooth down at that spot. 

When loading 45acp I had no problems, but running 40 s&w the case would jam between the disc and the plastic shell stopping the disc from rotation.

I used a small round file to elongate the slotted holes to lower the shell fixture reducing the gap to the disc. 
  So far it has been 100% feeding.

• 2 weeks later...