Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Casefeeder keeps jamming

I continue to have the same problem.. new 750XL (5 months old).  I've had to readjust the 'dislodge wedge" down a few times.  and Just bought a Double Alpha one to see if that helps.

I get a wedge jam (at the top) several times per 30-40 cases.    

5 minutes ago, Momoz said:

If you are still discussing the Dillon unit, check the leading edge of the wedge.  I noted the plastic on the leading edge of the wedge had become mucked up and needed to be cleaned up due to previous jams.   I would make sure that is not mucked up.  Maybe contact Dillon. 

I was having issues as well with the new Dillon case feeder I purchased for my Roll Sizer, but have since moved onto the DAA unit, and have had zero issues after switching.  I never really fleshed out the jamming issues completely before switching.

19 hours ago, Momoz said:

I continue to have the same problem.. new 750XL (5 months old).  I've had to readjust the 'dislodge wedge" down a few times.  and Just bought a Double Alpha one to see if that helps.

Keep us posted.  If I load more than 200 cases, the shell plate jams in mine constantly.  Such a let down. 

On 2/15/2022 at 8:05 AM, Boomstick303 said:

If you are still discussing the Dillon unit, check the leading edge of the wedge.  I noted the plastic on the leading edge of the wedge had become mucked up and needed to be cleaned up due to previous jams.   I would make sure that is not mucked up.  Maybe contact Dillon. 

I was having issues as well with the new Dillon case feeder I purchased for my Roll Sizer, but have since moved onto the DAA unit, and have had zero issues after switching.  I never really fleshed out the jamming issues completely before switching.

Agreed. With the DAA turbo plate, any feeding issues that I had with my variable speed Dillon have been solved. I used to get a jam every 20 - 30 casings, now I get none -- ever. Easy $40 fix.

After hearing of a couple of people (from this board and being contacted by others) having the same issue with new Dillon Case feeders, I am starting to think there is an issue with the plate, bowl, and/or wedge.  If you are still having issues I would contact Dillon.

I have both issues. The "wedge" jams up whenever a case comes through at an angle. Its easy the fix. Just take a Dremel and reshape or remove the leading edge of the wedge. This only happens on the 1050 I use for 9MM. I have another dedicated to 40 and it never fails like this.

The worse problem is my case feeder motor dying on a five month old 1050. Since I have 3 1050's and a 750 I'm concerned they are all crap. Since the 1050's are only warrantied for a year its likely I'll have to buy several motors in the future. I have submitted a warranty claim to Dillon on this failure so we will see. Unfortunately since Dillon doesn't hurry on anything I had to buy a new motor in order to keep using this press which I need almost daily. At least the replacement (if I actually get one) will give me a backup.

I'm a Dillon fan so I don't usually bitch about them so I'm disappointed in them. They have always taken too long to ship orders but using Ben Stoeger Proshop and Alpha Dynamics for parts solves that problem. Unfortunately the dealers don't stock all parts though. This wedge and motor issue is different. Its just plain sloppy engineering and testing. No other explanation possible. The wedge regardless of the height position you use jams solid with 9 mm cases. Thats a simple design problem that occurs so frequently that a child should have caught it in testing.The motor problem also seems pretty easy to find. I sure had no problem finding it and its a $200 fix on a new machine unless you can wait forever for Dillon to think about what they will do. 

Lousy Dillon. Really lousy work

Edited by Brooke

one of you . that keeps having issues with jamming etc.  Would you be willing to try something . That really doesn't make any since to the issue you have. Try tightening the two clutch screws on the plate (3/32 allen bolts) about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. This has fixed  a few case feeders. That were jamming .

Edited by AHI

On 2/17/2022 at 9:28 AM, Boomstick303 said:

After hearing of a couple of people (from this board and being contacted by others) having the same issue with new Dillon Case feeders, I am starting to think there is an issue with the plate, bowl, and/or wedge.  If you are still having issues I would contact Dillon.

The issue is with the case feed motor.  Case feed motor on RL1100 would run for a few mins with about 2 large cups of .45 brass before shutting off.  If I let it cool, it would start running again.  I had the clutch adjusted so it would not slip.   The fix for me was to do the Immortal arms case feed motor upgrade.  On the commercial Rollsizer I have the CPU Pro (case feed upgrade Pro with waterfall prevention and auto reverse for jams) running 6K+ hour without any issues using the stock dillon case feed plate.  

Edited by 67isb

16 hours ago, 67isb said:

The issue is with the case feed motor.

The issue I am talking about is jams. Not motor issues. It would seem many who have purchased a case feeder recently are having jamming issues with the Dillon plate and Wedge. This would lead me to believe it is possible that there is a manufacturing issue. 

After instslling the DAA plate and wedge I have had zero jams. The plate more than keeps with my roll sizer so I am happy. I do intend to upgrade motors down the road but that is way down on the priority list. I will purchase a DAA for my S1050 sooner than later to help minimize run time on the motor because the DAA plate is way more effecting than the Dillon plate. 

I have the older style casefeeder with the high/low switch, and I have never had it jam.  I have loaded over 5,000 rounds of 9mm now, but I only put 100 at a time in the feeder.  I do batches of 100 since that's how many primers fit in a tube.

Mike

Edited by VortecMAX

Thanks Markimm, I’ve been wanting to order the upgrade also but figured they were having supply issues like almost everyone else in the world. Just have to be patient. That’s hard. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2022 at 9:05 AM, Boomstick303 said:

That leading edge on mine had the smallest edge you could imagine, jamming cases in there.   A little sandpaper and I’m running 100%.

I have the Dillon variable speed case feeder and I could really never get it to handle more that 100 9mm cases. Frustrating. I bought the new DAA case feeder plate and it’s solved a lot of my feeding problems. I haven’t tried more than 500 cases buts been a very good improvement. I wanted to order the ammortobot upgrade but supply issues will keep me away for a while but someday. 

Edited by N7VY

1 hour ago, 0099 said:

That leading edge on mine had the smallest edge you could imagine

If you are talking about the deflector block that was what I was going to try next, but just moved onto the DAA plate.  Good to know if I ever need to use the Dillon deflector block I removed.

10 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

If you are talking about the deflector block that was what I was going to try next, but just moved onto the DAA plate.  Good to know if I ever need to use the Dillon deflector block I removed.

yep, that was it.   I probably ran 200 thru it tonight. It just worked.

EFCF4D8C-522E-4369-A6DE-9763C6EB597B.jpeg

I have a two speed casefeed on a 650 and my main problem was log jambs at the top but the little funnel fixed that. Then I have variable speed casefeeds on my 750 and Rollsizer. The Rollsizer use to jamb between the shellplate and the drop opening but Kevin gave me a tip and I went to the router table and radiused the bottom of the shellplate and that pretty much fixed that. The other problem I had on the Rollsizer is it would sometimes pull brass under the shellplate and boy was that a bear to clear with a bowl full of brass. Dillon gave me a huge washer (like the one for taller cartridges) and said throw it under the shellplate, it helped a little by tipping  the plate up. Then I noticed the shellplate on my 750 ran flush with the bowl and the one on the Rollsizer didn't. I looked at way to fix it but finally just bought a new bowl that runs flush and that's a problem of the past. I can now run the Rollsizer at full speed (like 6K/hr) or little over 3/4 variable speed and don't have any more problems.