Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inclement Weather and You

apoc4lypse

So I shot a match today, and between stages 2 and 6, the weather started to get really bad - alternating between drizzles and bursts of steady rain.  I figured what the heck, everyone else is dealing with it it's the luck of the draw whether your turn has a weather hazard. 

Only afterward did I notice that a sub-squad of competitors, who shall go unnamed, decided to wait out the rain and shoot their stages near the end of the event after the sun had come out and most other squads had finished shooting.

Is this against the rules?  One would think that if you are not with your squad and ready to shoot at the appointed time, you would forfeit that stage.  No making it up later when conditions are ideal.

19 minutes ago, apoc4lypse said:

So I shot a match today, and between stages 2 and 6, the weather started to get really bad - alternating between drizzles and bursts of steady rain.  I figured what the heck, everyone else is dealing with it it's the luck of the draw whether your turn has a weather hazard. 

Only afterward did I notice that a sub-squad of competitors, who shall go unnamed, decided to wait out the rain and shoot their stages near the end of the event after the sun had come out and most other squads had finished shooting.

Is this against the rules?  One would think that if you are not with your squad and ready to shoot at the appointed time, you would forfeit that stage.  No making it up later when conditions are ideal.

What match? A major match?

20 minutes ago, apoc4lypse said:

was the aforementioned sub-squad summarily beaten after the match?  asking for a friend...

No, a tier 1 match.  Not a major match.

Unfortunately they weren't summarily beaten as it's a bad idea to hit people who have guns :(

In the SCSA rule book, 6.5.1 is the definition of the Rimfire Pistol Open division.  Are we looking at the same thing?

5 hours ago, apoc4lypse said:

By sub-squad, do you mean part of a squad did not shoot with the rest of the squad?  If so, that is pretty crappy.  I don't know if it could be called 8.41 Unsportsmanlike Behavior, but I would certainly be tempted.

Alternatively, if I was RO'ing that squad, I would call the creeps name in the shooting rotation and when they sat out their turn, I would score it DNF for that stage and continue on with the shooters who were present.

Edited by Ming the Merciless

7 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Alternatively, if I was RO'ing that squad, I would call the creeps name in the shooting rotation and when they sat out their turn, I would score it DNF for that stage and continue on with the shooters who were present.

That is exactly what should have happened.  I've shot in the rain several times.  I admit it's tough, especially when you see 8 dots instead of one.  You soldier on, or you quit.

53 minutes ago, apoc4lypse said:

What gets me is the guy who did it is on several of the GM top 20 lists.  You'd think he would know better.

Uhh.......that means zilch. Hell, I worked a major a few years ago and there was a past National Open Champion on one squad. He sat in his chair until he was up and sat right back dow when done. This was 75 and sunny.🧐

I have no qualms about walking up to the shooter that's not helping, explain there are ... many shooters in the squad and everyone is supposed to help.  If they don't get the hint I hand them the scoring board right before it's my turn to shoot and shame them into helping.  I don't care if the are a GM, past National Champion or the Big Fish in our pond.  Everyone needs to help.

Most will get the hint and then help for the rest of the day.

On 3/13/2021 at 1:01 PM, Sarge said:

Uhh.......that means zilch. Hell, I worked a major a few years ago and there was a past National Open Champion on one squad. He sat in his chair until he was up and sat right back dow when done. This was 75 and sunny.🧐

Wow. I've heard of the "GM syndrome " but never actually seen it. I have seen A class and B class shooters try to play the I'm better then yall and reseting is beneath me game and it never worked out. Both at locals and majors. But the biggest crowd of those types seems to be in the 12-17 crowd at least from what I've seen. 

7 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Wow. I've heard of the "GM syndrome " but never actually seen it. I have seen A class and B class shooters try to play the I'm better then yall and reseting is beneath me game and it never worked out. Both at locals and majors. But the biggest crowd of those types seems to be in the 12-17 crowd at least from what I've seen. 

I just hand them a paint can as there are usually a limited number of those on each stage.  If they don't head down range to paint, I just leave a 2-3 plates unpainted.  They get the hint real quick.

As far as rain goes, if the radar available on my phone indicates a short shower, I'll wait it out.  If it's going to dump all day, I'm done.  There are always other matches to enjoy versus a ride home soaked to the skin.

BC

On 3/13/2021 at 2:05 AM, Ming the Merciless said:

if I was RO'ing that squad, I would call the creeps name in the shooting rotation and when they sat out their turn, I would score it DNF for that stage and continue on with the shooters who were present.

This right here

As Walter Sobchak said: MARK IT ZERO

Edited by SGT_Schultz

A little late to this party here's my 2 cents worth. Unless the match is stopped by a match official then everyone continues to shoot. It's really no different than the position of the sun during the day or wind direction or a thousand other factors. I'd DNF them as well and move on. If they want back and shot afterwards and removed the DNF then that's on the MD and his or her integrity.