Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heaviest WML?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best cheapest route would be a knockoff that takes the fat cr123a batteries, like the x300, and then doing something tricky with the batteries, like one real battery and the other being a lead or tungsten weight of the same shape.  As long as it conducts electricity, the light should still work.  I can't imagine Lok putting this into production for less than $200, especially if it lights up.  They'd make more money creating a battery shaped weight.  It could be put into production way faster.  

On 4/22/2021 at 7:24 AM, ngodwetrust21 said:

LOL, thanks!  i just can't bring myself to do it.  

I've increased the weight of my G34.4 to over 30 ounces (no mag) without hanging s#!t off of the gun.  Add Tungsten here and there, but hanging 7 more ounces off of my gun is not going to make me any faster, smarter, stronger or prettier. Won't make me practice more than I do, and I sit here shaking my head.  I can't change the profile of my gun but I can hang ugly crap that serves me no other purpose than to make me feel I can compete with a 59 ounce steel gun. 

No thanks.  I will remain a super senior permanently stuck in B class as the hit factors soar in carry optics due to 9mm guns that don't fricking move, just like an open gun.

So why keep major/minor anymore if the alleged difference in scoring is to handle the greater recoil forces generated by the "higher" calibers?

Edited by vluc

Ok, I did a thing. Got Blue Demon tungsten electrodes used for welding (3/16" X7"), cut them up using a Dremel and glued them to the bottom of a Streamlight. I them covered them with bondo, sanded and painted it. Inside, I used tungsten weight used for pinewood derby cars to fill one of the battery compartments, filling the remaining space with more cut rods. I also used the tungsten putty from the derby weight kit to pack around the weights in the battery compartment to eliminate rattle. I made sure to place the weights to have conductivity in the battery compartment. Now, I have a working light (using only one battery) that looks stock and adds a nice heft to my CZ for relatively cheap. Heck. the new tungsten CZ quite rods go for $120 and I did my light for about half that (not including the light). And, I also made my own tungsten guide rod to boot! Just cut a rod to size, grind a small bump in one end, ground the corners off a nut and epoxy the nut to the tungsten rod. Easy!

Edited by Russty

2 hours ago, vluc said:

LOL, thanks!  i just can't bring myself to do it.  

I've increased the weight of my G34.4 to over 30 ounces (no mag) without hanging s#!t off of the gun.  Add Tungsten here and there, but hanging 7 more ounces off of my gun is not going to make me any faster, smarter, stronger or prettier. Won't make me practice more than I do, and I sit here shaking my head.  I can't change the profile of my gun but I can hang ugly crap that serves me no other purpose than to make me feel I can compete with a 59 ounce steel gun. 

No thanks.  I will remain a super senior permanently stuck in B class as the hit factors soar in carry optics due to 9mm guns that don't fricking move, just like an open gun.

So why keep major/minor anymore if the alleged difference in scoring is to handle the greater recoil forces generated by the "higher" calibers?

If you don’t think adding more weight is going to make you any prettier, why did you even bother adding any weight to the gun at all? 🧐

I mean after all, the real winners in this sport are the ones that have runs that look pretty on Instagram.

Edited by ngodwetrust21

X300U-A Weight 4.0 oz (with batteries)

TLR-1 HL Weight 4.32 ounces

3.77 oz for a knock-off is not too far off from the mainstream lights.  It might not include the batteries weight as well. 

On 4/25/2021 at 6:40 AM, obsessiveshooter said:

I dont think you would actually want 7.5 oz added up front unless you are doing a lot to balance it out.  

Well apparently the new lok light released and its 7oz.

49 minutes ago, mwc said:

Now...that's funny!  Gamers going to game when we play a game.

just hope people take into account about balance. Idk how 7+ oz out front is gonna feel. Guess you'd have to experiment.

My buddy took a stream light trl3 and put 9 size buck shot in it. It still works also, you can just barley see light coming out the front. Weights like 4-5 oz

in the grand scheme of things tho a light won’t make a difference so don’t get to caught up in it. 

A cr123a battery is 17mm diameter. You can get 6" long,  11/16" [17.48mm] diameter brass rod on Amazon for $30.   Someone could get 4 full battery size weights from that.  Maybe there are 3V buttons batteries that could go on top so you could replace both batteries.  Not something I care to pursue, but it would be interesting to try different weight combos.  

On 4/30/2021 at 8:51 PM, mrvip27 said:

just hope people take into account about balance. Idk how 7+ oz out front is gonna feel. Guess you'd have to experiment.

It will be fine. As soon as magwells are allowed, I will get a brass one 😂