Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone here shoot Rimfire Challenge matches? I was thinking about trying a KelTec CP33, and possibly even a KelTec PLR22?

Does anyone else here shoot Rimfire Challenge? (Much like Steel Challenge using a .22) I was thinking about trying a semi-auto pistol in addition to my S&W 617 revo. I'm very intrigued by the KelTec CP33 and possibly even the PLR22. Any experiences, thoughts? Both have long sight radii which I appreciate as I shoot "limited." The PLR22 intrigues me as far as the necessary grip, although I'm not sure it can be moved as fast as a traditional pistol?

Any experiences, thoughts? Thank you.

Kel Tec CP33.jpg

Kel Tec PLR 22.jpg

Stick with traditional pistol options. I have not shot the CP33, but it's on my list and Tandemkross makes some great parts for it. Bit the 33-round mag could be problematic as RC has a 10-round limit per string. Sure you can load it up to all 33, but you can't shoot more than 10 rounds on a string or it's a 30.

The CP33 is fine for competition in Steel Challenge or Rimfire Challenge.  But you have to load the mags properly and any rimfire can be finicky with different ammo.  Again, the caveat with the CP33 for Rimfire Challenge is that there is a max round count of 10 per string.  Go over that and you get a 30seconds for the string.  So loading up to the full 33 means you might have to count your rounds if you miss a lot.

I've never seen a limit of only 10 rounds per string for Steel Challenge.  I've seen a a lot of shooters empty their 10 rounds and have to reload for the stop plate and have never seen a penalty given.  

On 2/28/2021 at 8:36 AM, bigdawgbeav said:

Stick with traditional pistol options. I have not shot the CP33, but it's on my list and Tandemkross makes some great parts for it. Bit the 33-round mag could be problematic as RC has a 10-round limit per string. Sure you can load it up to all 33, but you can't shoot more than 10 rounds on a string or it's a 30.

You may fire up to 11 rounds without reloading and not incur a penalty.  Agreed that with a fully loaded 33 round mag it would be very easy to fire more than 11 shots/string.  

58 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

I've never seen a limit of only 10 rounds per string for Steel Challenge.  I've seen a a lot of shooters empty their 10 rounds and have to reload for the stop plate and have never seen a penalty given.  

The original poster asked about Rimfire Challenge (https://www.rimfirechallenge.org) which while very similar to Steel Challenge is a separate organization with their own rules.  And, they have an 11 round/string rule.  

1 minute ago, AR_James said:

The original poster asked about Rimfire Challenge (https://www.rimfirechallenge.org) which while very similar to Steel Challenge is a separate organization with their own rules.  And, they have an 11 round/string rule.  

Thanks. My mistake.  I've never had the pleasure of shooting rimfirechallenge.

On 2/28/2021 at 6:36 AM, bigdawgbeav said:

Actually, around here the pistol shooters are allow to "barney" a round. I share you concerns about reliability, given its paramount importance. But the more I read, the more I understand that the CP33 flat-out RUNS.

The thing that really attracts me is the CP33's sight radius is 9 INCHES! That's very attractive for a limited shooter.  Anyway, thanks for your response.

5 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

The CP33 is fine for competition in Steel Challenge or Rimfire Challenge.  But you have to load the mags properly and any rimfire can be finicky with different ammo.  Again, the caveat with the CP33 for Rimfire Challenge is that there is a max round count of 10 per string.  Go over that and you get a 30seconds for the string.  So loading up to the full 33 means you might have to count your rounds if you miss a lot.

"The CP33 is fine for competition in Steel Challenge or Rimfire Challenge.  But you have to load the mags properly..."

That's exatly what I have been reading. I understand one company makes a loader, that makes the process simple.

18 hours ago, Out of Ammo said:

I've seen the pistol in the upper picture in action at a steel challenge match.  It jamed a lot, but it could have been due to the ammo being used.  Just thanking God I don't live in California.

Writes the individual who lives in, excuse me, Jackson, MS. smh.

On 3/2/2021 at 1:57 PM, Hotchkiss said:

Writes the individual who lives in, excuse me, Jackson, MS. smh.

Obviously, reading isn't a skill taught in California.  I live in Missouri, but Mississippi is a great state, too.

3 hours ago, Out of Ammo said:

Obviously, reading isn't a skill taught in California.  I live in Missouri, but Mississippi is a great state, too.

Correctamundo!  Give the man a ceegar.  The schools here are too busy teaching gender studies and critical race theory to bother with something as mundane as readin', writin' and 'rithmetic.

8 hours ago, Out of Ammo said:

Nearly as bad. Either way you're a rude/envious individual.

Edited by Hotchkiss

4 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Correctamundo!  Give the man a ceegar.  The schools here are too busy teaching gender studies and critical race theory to bother with something as mundane as readin', writin' and 'rithmetic.

Another rude POS.

To get back toward the OP I’ve got several level 1 SC matches with my CP33. It’s been totally reliable with almost any ammo IF you are careful with your mag loading. The nest loader is great for this. Kind of a hoot to shoot the whole stage without having to mess up your grip or take time changing mags. 
YMMV

RTL

3 hours ago, rtl said:

To get back toward the OP I’ve got several level 1 SC matches with my CP33. It’s been totally reliable with almost any ammo IF you are careful with your mag loading. The nest loader is great for this. Kind of a hoot to shoot the whole stage without having to mess up your grip or take time changing mags. 
YMMV

RTL

Thanks for the feedback. That's what I was hoping to see. Do you shoot Open or Limited? The CP33's 9" sight radius is attractive, particularly for those shooting in Limited. Thanks again.

On 3/2/2021 at 7:33 AM, AR_James said:

On 3/2/2021 at 7:29 AM, AR_James said:

You may fire up to 11 rounds without reloading and not incur a penalty.  Agreed that with a fully loaded 33 round mag it would be very easy to fire more than 11 shots/string.  

Not in my experience. In years of shooting action rimfire with a Remington 572 pump (loaded to 15 rounds to maintain optimum rifle balance), I have never "over-shot" a stage. "Counting" one's shots becomes second nature/subconscious, for more than one reason, namely to ensure one always has a round to hit the stop plate and not incur a +30.

On 3/9/2021 at 2:28 PM, Hotchkiss said:

Thanks for the feedback. That's what I was hoping to see. Do you shoot Open or Limited? The CP33's 9" sight radius is attractive, particularly for those shooting in Limited. Thanks again.

I’m shooting open. C class 

Edited by rtl
Fix typo