Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone here shoot Rimfire Challenge matches? I was thinking about trying a KelTec CP33, and possibly even a KelTec PLR22?

The weight is not an issue for me. It’s very light and I suppose I could just use a partial load and change mags during the stage. I get a kick out of shooting the whole stage without reloading, lets me lock up the grip and just maintain it. 
I have fairly large hands and had a little trouble getting it to point consistently for me. A Hogue handall helped a lot along with several dry fire sessions. I’m finally at the point where I can see the dot consistently as I bring it up.  
It’s been extremely reliable since brand new and runs on just about any ammo. Only issues were with the mags and the Nest Loader took care of them. I’ve got a Holosun 507 on it and the combo works fine. 

RTL

51 minutes ago, rtl said:

The weight is not an issue for me. It’s very light and I suppose I could just use a partial load and change mags during the stage. I get a kick out of shooting the whole stage without reloading, lets me lock up the grip and just maintain it. 
I have fairly large hands and had a little trouble getting it to point consistently for me. A Hogue handall helped a lot along with several dry fire sessions. I’m finally at the point where I can see the dot consistently as I bring it up.  
It’s been extremely reliable since brand new and runs on just about any ammo. Only issues were with the mags and the Nest Loader took care of them. I’ve got a Holosun 507 on it and the combo works fine. 

RTL

First hand feedback.  Particularly on the Hogie Handall... Thank you!

I’ve been shooting Rimfire for several years at 3 different clubs. I have always used a Volquartsen 22/45 pistol and a SW 15/22 rifle with a JP Enterprise trigger and a Volquartsen extractor. The pistol is very pricey but I have never had a failure shooting 10000’s of thousand rounds. The 15/22 is just as reliable after installing the extractor and the trigger is smooth at 2 3/4 #. With Rimfire reliability counts for a lot, failures ruin your match and 22 ammo is so picky. My guns have never had anything but CCI Standard Velocity 1040 ft shot thru them.

I'm ready for this Sunday's Steel Challenge.  I've always shot revolver centerfire and did pretty well.  Sunday I'm going to shoot my S&W 617 using DS-10 Speed Loaders.  I have 15 all loaded up and ready to go plus another 300 rounds in boxes ready to transfer to my loaders.

Lately my Black Mamba has been giving me fits so until I can fire 1000 rounds without a failure I'm benching it. If I get a failure to fire it's easier to just pull the trigger for the next round then to clear a jam.

With Iron Sights.jpg

I've shot 7 SC matches with my CP33 and like it a lot. As others have mentioned, it runs pretty much flawlessly as long as you use 40gr ammo. I shoot RFPO(A class), and have mine set up with a Falcon comp, 12moa C-More, TK trigger, thumb rest and safety. At this point, I know for sure it isn't holding me back and reliability isn't an issue. I broke my speed loader, so now I just load by hand which isn't a big deal. One thing I've noticed is that ammo under 40gr occasionally moves in the mag and becomes rimlocked. This is why Keltec specifies a 40gr minimum.

If Rimfire Challenge limits you to 10rd strings, downloading mags would mean buying more of them. CP33 mags are $50 ea. so you'd better be good at counting your shots. 😁

Edited by EarlKeese
Added comment.

4 hours ago, EarlKeese said:

I've shot 7 SC matches with my CP33 and like it a lot. As others have mentioned, it runs pretty much flawlessly as long as you use 40gr ammo. I shoot RFPO(A class), and have mine set up with a Falcon comp, 12moa C-More, TK trigger, thumb rest and safety. At this point, I know for sure it isn't holding me back and reliability isn't an issue. I broke my speed loader, so now I just load by hand which isn't a big deal. One thing I've noticed is that ammo under 40gr occasionally moves in the mag and becomes rimlocked. This is why Keltec specifies a 40gr minimum.

If Rimfire Challenge limits you to 10rd strings, downloading mags would mean buying more of them. CP33 mags are $50 ea. so you'd better be good at counting your shots. 😁

Thanks for your input. Rimfire Challenge limits to 11 rounds. I routinely shoot firearms holding 12 and 15 rounds respectively. I can't remember the last time I even came close to shooting more than 11.

I'm curious. Do they mags appear to be of high quality? Thanks!

On 3/12/2021 at 3:02 PM, Copskid said:

I’ve been shooting Rimfire for several years at 3 different clubs. I have always used a Volquartsen 22/45 pistol and a SW 15/22 rifle with a JP Enterprise trigger and a Volquartsen extractor. The pistol is very pricey but I have never had a failure shooting 10000’s of thousand rounds. The 15/22 is just as reliable after installing the extractor and the trigger is smooth at 2 3/4 #. With Rimfire reliability counts for a lot, failures ruin your match and 22 ammo is so picky. My guns have never had anything but CCI Standard Velocity 1040 ft shot thru them.

What does any of that have to do with either the KelTec CP33, or the KelTec PLR22?

On 3/12/2021 at 4:16 PM, AzShooter said:

I'm ready for this Sunday's Steel Challenge.  I've always shot revolver centerfire and did pretty well.  Sunday I'm going to shoot my S&W 617 using DS-10 Speed Loaders.  I have 15 all loaded up and ready to go plus another 300 rounds in boxes ready to transfer to my loaders.

Lately my Black Mamba has been giving me fits so until I can fire 1000 rounds without a failure I'm benching it. If I get a failure to fire it's easier to just pull the trigger for the next round then to clear a jam.

With Iron Sights.jpg

What does any of that have to do with either the KelTec CP33, or the KelTec PLR22?

5 hours ago, Hotchkiss said:

Thanks for your input. Rimfire Challenge limits to 11 rounds. I routinely shoot firearms holding 12 and 15 rounds respectively. I can't remember the last time I even came close to shooting more than 11.

I'm curious. Do they mags appear to be of high quality? Thanks!

One of mine had a cracked feed lip. Keltec replaced it under warranty, service was quick-less than a week. The mags seem to be good quality, but I think cracking is fairly common with clear plastic. The downside is that clear plastic is a requirement so you can confirm correct cartridge stagger.

8 hours ago, EarlKeese said:

One of mine had a cracked feed lip. Keltec replaced it under warranty, service was quick-less than a week. The mags seem to be good quality, but I think cracking is fairly common with clear plastic. The downside is that clear plastic is a requirement so you can confirm correct cartridge stagger.

Thanks! Getting FIRST HAND feedback from a CP33 owner who actually shoots Steel Challenge is just awesome!

• 7 months later...

Now that the 2021 season is almost over, I thought I'd update my experience with the CP33. Still reliable in matches(2 per mo), but I've had to replace a couple more mags due to cracked feed lips even though I always store them unloaded. I do load them the night before a match, but that is the only time they sit loaded.

I'm also on my third bolt/buffer assembly. The buffer has rubber inserts in a 3d printed plastic block, which starts to crack around 1500-2000rds. It hasn't affected reliability and Keltec warranty is quick so far. They wouldn't sell me a spare buffer, which is a little disappointing. Overall I still love the gun and will shoot it next season as well. In my experience, it's one of the more reliable rimfire pistols at matches I attend.

2 hours ago, EarlKeese said:

Now that the 2021 season is almost over, I thought I'd update my experience with the CP33. Still reliable in matches(2 per mo), but I've had to replace a couple more mags due to cracked feed lips even though I always store them unloaded. I do load them the night before a match, but that is the only time they sit loaded.

I'm also on my third bolt/buffer assembly. The buffer has rubber inserts in a 3d printed plastic block, which starts to crack around 1500-2000rds. It hasn't affected reliability and Keltec warranty is quick so far. They wouldn't sell me a spare buffer, which is a little disappointing. Overall I still love the gun and will shoot it next season as well. In my experience, it's one of the more reliable rimfire pistols at matches I attend.

Thanks again for your first-hand feedback. It's much appreciated...

On 11/11/2021 at 7:39 AM, EarlKeese said:

Our season in AZ is just getting rolling. LOL

I’ve been happy with the CP33 for this past year. I did crack a mag and I agree about Kel-Tec support, they sent me a replacement and a paid envelope for returning the broken one in two days. 
I’m up to about 5000 rounds through mine now, no problem with the bolt/buffer but I’ll keep an eye on it, thanks. 

RTL