Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which aftermarket barrel?

twister

I don’t have a problem with the stock barrel, it shoots very well, just like the gun a lot, and wanted to tinker with it. The barrel weight is something that’s interested me for awhile. Thanks for the KKM suggestion.

Just now, twister said:

I don’t have a problem with the stock barrel, it shoots very well, just like the gun a lot, and wanted to tinker with it. The barrel weight is something that’s interested me for awhile. Thanks for the KKM suggestion.

Depends on your trigger control, stock barrel is very accurate.

Hello, my gen 5 17 is not as accurate as I thought it would be at 25 yards offhand. I am still sorting out loads for it. I may look at the Glock factory threaded barrel or the KKM as well. The KKM barrels for the Glocks I have had have been very good. The 1911/2011 barrels have been hit or miss--(get it) for how long they last. Thanks, Eric

Faxon. 1in10 twist just like factory. Button rifled. Salt bath nitrided. The only draw back is extremely short chamber. Not suitable for some bullet shapes unless you load short. Commercially  loaded ammo runs fine.

22 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, my gen 5 17 is not as accurate as I thought it would be at 25 yards offhand. I am still sorting out loads for it. I may look at the Glock factory threaded barrel or the KKM as well. The KKM barrels for the Glocks I have had have been very good. The 1911/2011 barrels have been hit or miss--(get it) for how long they last. Thanks, Eric

Eric,

What type of projectiles are you using?

15 minutes ago, Custom Glock Racing said:

About the only way to increase the mechanical accuracy of a Glock is with barrel fit.  If you buy a drop in aftermarket barrel you are throwing away accuracy.  If you are going to do it, do it right.  Get a fitted barrel from Bar-sto

I'd have to agree with Matt on this. You may get lucky and get a barrel that locks up nice and consistent or maybe not. With a fitted barrel, you will never wonder. One less variable in the mix.

I’ve owned them all and KKM is who I’d recommend based on price/what you get. Get the gunsmith fit and send in your slide to have them do it. Doesn’t get a ton better with BarSto, Or any others. Better yes but not enough to justify the increased cost.

Edited by Steven420

I too have used a variety of aftermarket barrels in my Glocks - KKM, BarSto, Briley, and Jarvis. BarSto is far and away the most expensive now, but have always performed at or near the top with either gunsmith fit or semi-fit (all of the semi-fit I have needed at least some fitting). I tried to get mine with a discount coupon from match prize tables to save a bit. Every Barsto I have has also needed a bit of throating as they have a very short leade to the rifling and can be bullet and OAL picky. Briley barrels down in Houston are all gunsmith fit last time I checked, but do perform well when fitted properly. No one has mentioned Jarvis in Montana, but I have found them to be exceptional performers and they are made of 4140 barrel steel, not 416 stainless. They offer gunsmith fit (send in slide) or drop-in. I have three drop-in's in 9 and 40 and they have been very good with accuracy as is. Jarvis is also about the same price as KKM. I would say given the expense that Jarvis and KKM gives the most bang for your $$, but I like the tough 4140 steel Jarvis uses.

I have had both gunsmith fit and drop-in KKM's, mainly because at some point a few years ago KKM dropped the gunsmith fit barrels for Glocks. This was back a few years ago when Kevin was still alive and I actually called him about it. He told me they dropped gunsmith fit because too many amateur gunsmiths were screwing them up, then sending them back demanding a refund. That could have changed by now, but in checking KKM a few minutes ago I could not find any gunsmith fit barrels for Glock. Their drop-in barrels do just fine in most cases for USPSA accuracy purposes and have done well in my guns.

• 3 weeks later...