Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL 750 Shopping List

Hi All - 

I've been reloading for 15+ years using a combination of single stage and turret presses, but given my lack of time lately and the ridiculous ammo prices, I've decide to take the plunge into a progressive setup. After tons of research, I've decided on the XL750. Given the wide array of parts available and my lack of experience with this, I was hoping you guys could look over my shopping list and give your opinions on whether I'm missing anything and/or whether I'm wasting my money anywhere. For starters I'll be loading for 223, 44mag, and 357mag, but eventually I'll probably add 9mm and 45acp. My big bore rifles will probably stay on t-7 turret press. See attached shopping list below. Dang this stuff is expensive

Thanks in advance!

-Chris

image.thumb.png.de3260a026b3a696abbf24a0d785cc6b.png

I think you're off on your price for your 750 with 223. That looks like the price of the no caliber conversion machines, which is the only way they are selling now as of last week for the time being. 

That said, there is a decent price increase coming Jan 1 across the board, so don't wait. 

I have a new primer flip tray I'll sell you for 15, so you can save a ton right there off your 2300 haha. 

Thanks for the input guys.

I already have calipers, scales, etc. I also have dies, but I’ve been reading that the Dillon dies function better with the Dillon press. They were specifically designed for progressive reloading. Is this not true?

Thanks for the tip on the swage-it tool. That looks nice. Does it replace the priming setup? If so, I’d assume that you just run your brass through the system twice?

4 minutes ago, gunrush128 said:I’ve been reading that the Dillon dies function better with the Dillon press. 
5 minutes ago, gunrush128 said:

I’ve been reading that the Dillon dies function better with the Dillon press.

ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!

5 minutes ago, gunrush128 said:

They were specifically designed for progressive reloading. Is this not true?

TRUE

7 minutes ago, gunrush128 said:

Thanks for the input guys.

I already have calipers, scales, etc. I also have dies, but I’ve been reading that the Dillon dies function better with the Dillon press. They were specifically designed for progressive reloading. Is this not true?

Thanks for the tip on the swage-it tool. That looks nice. Does it replace the priming setup? If so, I’d assume that you just run your brass through the system twice?

There are many many dies that are better than Dillon and function just fine at very high speed reloading

3 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Agreed, not functioning better, but they are a bit longer than alot of other dies but I havent come across any dies that didnt function on dillon because of length

I use a 550,  probably about the same, dont think i  currently use any DIllon dies, I think one is out in the swamp. Way less than impressed with Dillon dies. Your dies will work fine with the Dillon.
It does work better to seat and crimp in 2 different steps, and you may need to buy some crimp dies.  I have gotten away from Lee FCD and gone to taper crimps, as I pretty much only use coated bullets in handguns.
Tip with Lee dies..  Take the Lee lock ring off, flip it over so the open part is UP,, put it back on. Chuck the Oring.  Will give you a couple more threads of adjustment to make up for them being a hair short.
On some Lee position dies you may be able to put the lock under the toolhead if you have clearance. But the flip and ontop has worked for all my Lee dies I still use on the 550.

I am going to disagree (-ish) on the swage-it.   Its a wonderful product, and I own two, in fact one is installed on the press next to me as I type this.  I have used one enough to have worn it out and bought a replacement.  All of that said, the only way that really makes sense is if you are going to go with a full bore case prep setup, with a universal decap and swage it , a FL resizer, and a (motorized, dillon) trimmer.  If you are processing large amounts of machine gun brass or unknown brass then that makes sense.   If your rifle brass supply is pretty static or mostly once fired commercial, you may be better off with just the Super Swage or even just a reamer and a Lee trimmer if you dont get much new to you once fired .mil brass.

I am doing the same as you (ish) but I am setting up my (old) 550 as a dedicated case prep station and intending to load on the 750...

I also 100% agree on a light kit, but I prefer the ones that stick to the press and not the toolhead for 2 reasons.  #1 everything comes unstuck at some point, and the ones on the toolhead get jostled more, and could bugger up some shells or be buggered by them depending on the timing.  #2 I find LED lights to be a bit harsh, and the combined angles of the light, the brass, and my eyeballs was uncomfortable when the LED was shining straight down.  You aren't going to see down into the case with rifle calibers anyway, so you are better off adding a powder check die than planning on visual verification. 

Edited by barrysuperhawk

On 12/28/2020 at 12:38 PM, gunrush128 said:

Interesting...  I have a combination of Hornady, RCBS, and Dillon dies. I also use the Lee FCD for most calibers.  All fine with the Dillon? I assume I would just need to swap the lock rings?

The only reason to swap lock rings is if you want to use a particular brand or style.

As long as the threading is compatible they will work.

The caveat is some rings take up more real estate than others which can make them difficult to access.

I use a lot of Lee dies but I use Dillon 1" lock rings with them since they are a little narrower and low profile than some alternatives.