Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for both 380acp and 9mm

Muddawg900

About to start reloading 380 for my mom so she can do some shooting, since it's even more expensive and harder to find than 9mm. 

I'm looking for experience with a good powder for both 380 and 9mm. Also looking for something relatively clean. Recommendations are appreciated!

I'm also looking for 380 dies. If you have some you'd part with please pm me.

I tried titegroup and it was dirtier and hotter than I prefer. 

Right now I've got several different 1# jugs that I was going to experiment with for 40maj in USPSA. N320, cfe pistol, W244, sport pistol, and silhouette is my current powder for 9 minor. 

Are 380 and 9mm close enough that you can pretty much interchange powders in them?

I'm very curious about sport pistol. Heard good things about it. 

Also have heard that e3 is a smooth and clean burning powder for 40 and 9. Would it work alright in 380? And how low would I need to go to safely shoot it in 380?

I would think w244 would be a good choice. I have used it in 38 / 357 w good results but not 9 or 380. 572 is pretty slow and would be best w full power loads not sure what your intentions are. SWP is I think it's the same as AA5 I have no experience though. 

Squirrel45, I'm using w244 in my new 45 loads and it seems to do pretty well. Kinda thinking about going with that just for quantity sake. 

All I'm doing is loading range training ammo. Doesn't need to run crazy speeds, just enough to reliably cycle the slide on a G48mos, G43x (with a dot) and a S&W 380ez. 

My purpose for looking at several different powders is for availability sake when it's time to resupply. 

22 minutes ago, TJ_FARMER said:

I used to load 380,9 and 45 with hp38,w238. Since taking some advise and trying sport pistol awhile back. I love it in 9 and 380

Thanks, I've been wondering about sport pistol. I have a little bit I can try with before I buy big jugs of it. Ultimately, the goal is to narrow down my selection and buy big bulk.

6 minutes ago, Farmer said:

Out of what you have I would try the 244 for target work. It’s allot like 231 but cleaner and takes less. Sil might be a bit dirty at lower levels but may be more accurate with SD loads.  Just my 2 cents. 

I'm using 244 in some 45 loads I just worked up and I really liked them. I'm kinda thinking I might start off with this since I can get it right now, and it wasn't very smokey in the 5gr range. 

8 hours ago, TJ_FARMER said:

I used to load 380,9 and 45 with hp38,w238. Since taking some advise and trying sport pistol awhile back. I love it in 9 and 380

Cannot find loading data for SP in 380ACP, anyone care to share?

Thanks in advance,

Mark