Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

50 Yard Group Shooting

Matthew_Mink

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patrick Sweeney told me how to shoot a group in another thread, so I tried it last night. One shot at 50 yards netted a center hit, with a measured group of .45" out of the CZ 97B. Patrick is a wizard!

well???

link???

what's the trick??

:D

Edited by eerw

Patrick Sweeney told me how to shoot a group in another thread, so I tried it last night. One shot at 50 yards netted a center hit, with a measured group of .45" out of the CZ 97B. Patrick is a wizard!
:lol:

If you can cover the 50 yard group with your front sight..that's pretty good.

There's a difference between shooting a good group at 50 yds. and hitting the target at 50 yds.

I find hitting the target easier :)

What I consider good enough is this: I take the smallest target I ever expect to see in an IPSC match and try to hit it 100% of the time. To me that would be a Classic target cut in two or a 6" plate.

spook:

You kind of lost me there. Does that mean you would honestly expect to see a target the size of a 6 inch plate at 50 yards? Just curious because around here I wouldn't expect to see an accuracy requirement greater than an 8 inch plate at half that distance.

Ron - in a match, yeah, you likely wouldn't see that. But having the ability to hit a 6" plate at 50 yds would be a fantastic arrow to have in your quiver, no? It would make those 8" plates at 25 seem huge.

The Bianchi crowd back home regularly shot the Plates at 50 yds for practice.

But having the ability to hit a 6" plate at 50 yds would be a fantastic arrow to have in your quiver, no?

I think having those arrows in my quiver is what allowed me to start IPSC so late in life and progress so quickly on speed shoots and standards (i.e. classifiers). Any good PPC or Bullseye shooter who can learn to quit obsessing over the sights should do very well shooting out of Box A. Alas, there is so much more to the game than Box A, lol.

Lots of good info from you guys, thanks. Lots to think about...

OTOH, I checked my loads today and realized that my 9mm settings from 6 years ago sucks on the press. Too much crimp, too much bell, not enough sizing.... Reset the dies, made up some 'good' ammo and will test this out tomorrow hopefully. Group sizes could decrease just by making the ammo a little better with a LOT less crimp. As a complete reloading newbie 6 years ago I musta thought that more crimp is better, and set the die on 11.

spook:

You kind of lost me there. Does that mean you would honestly expect to see a target the size of a 6 inch plate at 50 yards? Just curious because around here I wouldn't expect to see an accuracy requirement greater than an 8 inch plate at half that distance.

Well, I have never seen a 6" plate at 50 yds yet in a match. The toughest shot I've ever encountered was a 50 yd mini-popper. But it wouldn't surprize me if I would ever have to shoot one at a match (even one of the small national matches).

I love to practice shooting groups, but I rather practice hitting the target ;)

Where the bullets land is more important than how close they are together IMO :D

Edited by spook

Thanks Spook. I thought that's what you meant. I was just curious about the difference in accuracy requirements in European IPSC vs. our typical USPSA match locally. If I set a pair of full size poopers at 50 yards the guys around here would string me up, lol.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

Thanks Spook. I thought that's what you meant. I was just curious about the difference in accuracy requirements in European IPSC vs. our typical USPSA match locally. If I set a pair of full size poopers at 50 yards the guys around here would string me up, lol.

Yeah, well they do that at our matches too. I guess our match directors just don't give a sh!t :lol:

We had one nice stage some time ago that consisted of 6 poppers at 50 meters (about 55 yards). The Stage designer did not make many friends with that one.

We had one nice stage some time ago that consisted of 6 poppers at 50 meters (about 55 yards). The Stage designer did not make many friends with that one.

Man, I love to see 50 yd stuff at matches. Hell, I'd love to see 50 yd shots with a rifle, let alone a pistol. :wacko:

Tried this again with a different pistol and different load, my new 'corrected' 9mm 130.3pf load. Groups have shrunk to around 8" on average. I had one 6" group with a flyer that was conveniently located another 6" away. I think my bad ammo was partly to blame cause I know I did not shoot groups this good before with the load/pistol. I think I have some more technique to clean up now.

Man, I love to see 50 yd stuff at matches. Hell, I'd love to see 50 yd shots with a rifle, let alone a pistol. :wacko:

Same here Dave. I love a SHOOTING challenge. The funny thing is that is really not that difficult to hit a 50 yd popper. I think most people are more intimidated when they hear how far they are away than how hard they are to hit.

Difficult shots make a match a fun to me.

If you guys want accuracy, I really suggest you come to visit Europe some time. There are many great matches and almost all of them require a great deal of real accurate shooting.

well???

link???

what's the trick??

Yea, inquiring minds want to know...

Pretty Please with ketchup on top... :D

Ira

well???

link???

what's the trick??

Yea, inquiring minds want to know...

Pretty Please with ketchup on top... :D

Ira

I may be mistaken, but he mentioned shooting a .45ACP earlier... Key word was ONE shot with a measured group of .45" ;)

One major I went to had a stage consisting only of two Bianchi plate racks at about 45 yards. It was ugly. Todd and the other GMs knew exactly where their shots would land and with what hold, and, of course had the skills to do it, but the rest of us mere mortals suffered horribly.

Ironically, the stage was thrown out because more than a few C and D class shooters who were seen to literally run out of ammo on the stage had hit factors up there with TJ and Co. Turned out that some of the inexperienced RO's on the stage hadn't noticed that the timer had cycled over the max of 100 seconds, and were recording only the last 20 seconds of a 120 or 220 second run... :P

• 2 months later...