Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your powder selection for revolver? 9mm

mikeAZ

929 S&W revolver. I had a small amount of Clays powder I wanted to use up BUT I had another revolver shooter tell me as far as case expansion, Clays was to fast??... Which maybe true, as I had some moon clipped cases that didn't extract easily recently and this was when using Clays.... My load is 2.8 grains of Clays , Acme 145gr. red coated bullet, 1.10 OAL( same load  used for PCC carbine) cronos consistant 129 power factor. Dillon 650 /Lees "U" die, Shockbottle gaged, Fed nickel brass. I have 3n37, 1# of 231, lots of CFE pistol,and Auto Comp, Fed 100 primers. Since the PCC uses Glock styie mags , I didn't want to change the OAL for revolver (I know they could be a bit longer for the revo..). Anyone have the same results with Clays?. 

I don't load 9mm for revolver but in my Glock/1911's Clays/ClayDot filled the case and reached a point where velocity ceased to rise with increases of powder.  That is usually a sign that you've reached the end of its range, and pressures usually start rising exponentially rather than in a linear fashion.  The problem was I was just below of my target velocity.

I also loaded the same bullet with ClayDot (the newer Clays and ClayDot in my guns run virtually the same velocities), same charge, at 1.115 OAL and also achieved a 129 pf, with no issues.  But accuracy wasn't as good as the 3.0 Titegroup load.

The other issue is getting Clays/ClayDot to meter from a Dillon type measure below 2.8 grains, Dillon actually makes a special "Small Charge" Powder Bar to address that issue.

So for my 9mm 1911/Glock's I settled on Titegroup.

Name: 9mm: 158gr Berry's flat point: Titegroup 3.1gr Win Case 929
Notes: S&W 929 5" barrel
1.15 oal
Federal primer
Win case
Shots: 8
Average: 797 ft/s
SD: 15 ft/s
Min: 766 ft/s
Max: 816 ft/s
Spread: 50 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 125
Power Factor Low: 121
Power Factor High: 128
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 62 F
Weight: 158.0 gr.

Name: 9mm: 125gr Berry's flat point: Titegroup 4.0gr Win Case
Notes: S&W 627 5" barrel
1.075 oal
Federal primer
Winchester case
Shots: 8
Average: 1031 ft/s
SD: 7 ft/s
Min: 1022 ft/s
Max: 1042 ft/s
Spread: 20 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 128
Power Factor Low: 127
Power Factor High: 130
Weight: 125.0 gr.

I load 160 gr. bullets for my 929.  I mostly use N320 but since I use a lot of WST in other loads I tried it also for the 929 and it worked well.  Both of these powders are very clean in the 929 loads which is important for me.

11 hours ago, triplesinglestack said:

I had same problem years ago, I use wst now and am happy.

Jason

Be aware that WST is Inverse Temperature Sensitive,  it will lose velocity as the temps heat up.  I noticed it in 45 acp years ago and a buddy went to no score in an ICORE Regional due to it in his Revolver, I think it was 38 Special.

8 hours ago, Intel6 said:

I load 160 gr. bullets for my 929.  I mostly use N320 but since I use a lot of WST in other loads I tried it also for the 929 and it worked well.  Both of these powders are very clean in the 929 loads which is important for me.

Can you post some load data, please?

20 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Be aware that WST is Inverse Temperature Sensitive,  it will lose velocity as the temps heat up.  I noticed it in 45 acp years ago and a buddy went to no score in an ICORE Regional due to it in his Revolver, I think it was 38 Special.

I am aware and have had no issues at majors, lowest chrono I've had was 129. Thanks

Name: 9mm: 124gr Xtreme RN, Win 231, 4.5gr, Win Case 929
Notes: S&W 929 5" barrel
Shots: 15
Average: 995 ft/s
SD: 23 ft/s
Min: 954 ft/s
Max: 1032 ft/s
Spread: 78 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 123
Power Factor Low: 118
Power Factor High: 127
Barometric Pressure: 29 in Hg
Temperature: 60 F
Weight: 124.0 gr.
Powder: Win 231 4.5gr
Case: Win
Primer: Rem SPP
Bullet: Xtreme 124gr RN
OAL: 1.15

Sport pistol and both SNS & Bayou have worked well in my 929. Have shot 0.358" 160's more than anything but have seen good results with 125's.

A thing about my 929, change bullet and you need to adjust sights, fussiest gun about point of aim versus bullet that I have ever had.  

On 10/6/2020 at 5:11 PM, ysrracer said:

Can you post some load data, please?

160 gr. Bayou @1.170"

Win Case

Fed 100

3.1 grs of N320 gives me 804 fps ave. (129 PF) out of my S&W929 

3.1 grains of N320, 150 Blue Bullets (listed at 147, but .356 diameter, so they are 149-150), 1.120 OAL, Federal #100 (or GM), Federal brass.

The two components that are revolver-specific are the brass (bought it new and only use it for revolver) and primers (I save Federals for revolver, mostly use WSP for all other loads). I prefer to keep the powder dispenser and bullet seating dies calibrated and not tinker with them, so my shorter OAL allows me to load 9mm for my CZ-s with shorter chambers by simply using mixed brass and WSP. I will have to change things a bit when I start loading different bullets, which I have to to do because Blues are fouling my PCC comp pretty bad and accuracy is crap (6" at 25 yards, so clearly there is at least quite a bit of contact with the compensator). 

7 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

2.9gr N320 165gr .358 Ibeji’s @1.85 Fed100 Blazer brass = 128pf

You like them loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong... 🙂