Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who has built an Open Gun? Let’s see your pic.

Nic_USPSA_C

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

Looks like it would be fun to shoot - thanks for sharing.

It was. I went to a match yesterday, that's why the barrel is so dirty. Compared to what I've shot before, including this same gun configured for Production Optics, it felt like I was cheating, it shot so well. Now I have to work on myself and my speed, because I love how it's set up now. Thank you for the reply.

I guess I built mine? I assembled it, at least - some things were beyond my skill level so I had to pay someone else to do it.

50386854437_45bac52d97_b.jpg

This started life as a really beat-looking STI frame. I built up the bottom end and fit the .45 ACP top end to it (had gunsmith help with the slide/barrel fitting) and shot it as a Limited gun for a while. I converted it to Open when I decided that I wanted to learn to shoot dots. I had Magnaport add the V8 porting and Brazen TiN'd the barrel, then had the slide milled for a Viper. The Viper didn't survive very long so I installed the sideways C-More on a frame mount, bought a cover plate and racker, and had Protocall (Toolguy) mill the plate and attach the racker to it. I can always switch back to a slide-mounted dot by removing two screws

The comp does literally nothing (it's a bushing comp) – the gun just looked too stubby without it, lol. The ports do all the work of mitigating the, erm, mighty .45 ACP recoil.

Speaking of, is it dumb to have a .45 Open gun? I'd say "probably", though now that small primers are unobtainium I'm less disappointed in myself.

Years ago I had a Tanfo Eric Gold in .45 (got a really good deal) and it shot flat running major factory loads. Problem was the capacity of the double stack factory mags. If I remember right it would only hold 12, no 170mm available and they were very un-reliable. Shot it in some pistol pin matches and did quite well. Sold it to a guy in Hawaii with 10 round limits.

gerritm

23 hours ago, matteekay said:

Speaking of, is it dumb to have a .45 Open gun? I'd say "probably", though now that small primers are unobtainium I'm less disappointed in myself.

I don't think it's dumb. But my open gun is 9x25 Dillon. Which was only used for like 2 years, 30 some odd years ago, then died. Sure, it's loud, it's odd,etc. But I don't care. I just tell ro's that they should probably double up on ear pro. Run what you got.

24 minutes ago, Benevolence said:

I think the issue with 45 open is having enough gas pressure to work the compensator and porting, as opposed to 9mm Major or 38SC.

Right. That's why the comp is really just cosmetic - the round isn't going fast enough (or bringing enough gas) to do much with it. The porting is more effective at reducing recoil but it's never going to be as good as a properly popple'd and comp'd .38 Super or 9 Major. As it sits, the dot goes to the top of the window under recoil but doesn't leave it.

9 minutes ago, gerritm said:

Years ago I had a Tanfo Eric Gold in .45 (got a really good deal) and it shot flat running major factory loads. Problem was the capacity of the double stack factory mags. If I remember right it would only hold 12, no 170mm available and they were very un-reliable. Shot it in some pistol pin matches and did quite well. Sold it to a guy in Hawaii with 10 round limits.

gerritm

Yep. No one makes a 170 that I've found, so I'm using 140's with Gram's 11mm basepads and Gram's guts. I get 17 reloadable (barely), 16 easily reloadable, but they run consistently so it could be worse. I've tried MBX (they claim 18/17 reloadable) but they didn't want to feed in this gun.

4 minutes ago, nhyrum said:

I don't think it's dumb. But my open gun is 9x25 Dillon. Which was only used for like 2 years, 30 some odd years ago, then died. Sure, it's loud, it's odd,etc. But I don't care. I just tell ro's that they should probably double up on ear pro. Run what you got.

Fair point. At least I'm not deafening people, lol ;) .

1 minute ago, matteekay said:

Right. That's why the comp is really just cosmetic - the round isn't going fast enough (or bringing enough gas) to do much with it. The porting is more effective at reducing recoil but it's never going to be as good as a properly popple'd and comp'd .38 Super or 9 Major. As it sits, the dot goes to the top of the window under recoil but doesn't leave it.

Yep. No one makes a 170 that I've found, so I'm using 140's with Gram's 11mm basepads and Gram's guts. I get 17 reloadable (barely), 16 easily reloadable, but they run consistently so it could be worse. I've tried MBX (they claim 18/17 reloadable) but they didn't want to feed in this gun.

Fair point. At least I'm not deafening people, lol ;) .

It was actually really fun to shoot. It had V-8 porting so not sure what the comp did over the ports.

gerritm

• 3 weeks later...

Hello: It is a Limcat Aluminum magwell with the steel insert. I also have a Brass one with the steel insert as well. Not sure which one I like the weight of yet. With a steel mainspring housing it comes very close to the weight of a metal grip setup. Thanks, Eric

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished this one. It started off as just replacing a cracked slide. Bought a Brazos' slide, but barrel and comp didnt fit well, so bought an Infinity barrel and Binary Engineering Ti comp and fit it to the Brazos slide. Wanted to stroke the gun, but the existing frame was a short dust cover. So, I bought a LSI long dust cover frame and stroked the gun .200" after extending the rails. I had to grind the beaver tail to fit the LSI frame and the slide and frame were both in the white so decided to try Cerakoting at home. Beadblasted all the parts and picked stainless steel and graphite black for the two colors. Wish I had picked a more silver colored color, but it is what it is now. Kind of looks like raw SS, but the black was just what I wanted. Here's a pic,,, buying parts now to try making a gun from start to finish instead a piece at a time.

2011 new build 1.jpg

14 minutes ago, texasdawg said:

Just finished this one. It started off as just replacing a cracked slide. Bought a Brazos' slide, but barrel and comp didnt fit well, so bought an Infinity barrel and Binary Engineering Ti comp and fit it to the Brazos slide. Wanted to stroke the gun, but the existing frame was a short dust cover. So, I bought a LSI long dust cover frame and stroked the gun .200" after extending the rails. I had to grind the beaver tail to fit the LSI frame and the slide and frame were both in the white so decided to try Cerakoting at home. Beadblasted all the parts and picked stainless steel and graphite black for the two colors. Wish I had picked a more silver colored color, but it is what it is now. Kind of looks like raw SS, but the black was just what I wanted. Here's a pic,,, buying parts now to try making a gun from start to finish instead a piece at a time.

2011 new build 1.jpg

Looks Nice.

I just picked up a Brazos Slide and Frame for from their Black Friday sale.  My next build starts soon.  I have to work on fitting the barrel, I haven’t fit a barrel right yet.