Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead deposit?

I would expect leading to occur nearer the chamber where the pressure and temperature are much higher.    However, if the bullet you are using is really having the exposed base eroded, there are several options:

1. A fully enclosed jacket bullet like Montana Gold's "CMJ" (Complete Metal Jacketed) which has a brass disc covering the base of the bullet as well as the regular jacket. 

2. Plated bullets as these have no exposed lead at all.

3. Polymer coated bullets which are also fully covered.

49 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I would expect leading to occur nearer the chamber where the pressure and temperature are much higher.    However, if the bullet you are using is really having the exposed base eroded, there are several options:

1. A fully enclosed jacket bullet like Montana Gold's "CMJ" (Complete Metal Jacketed) which has a brass disc covering the base of the bullet as well as the regular jacket. 

I wanna go back for more load dev.

Should i completely remove lead before anything?

What solvent can i use?

There are numerous commercial lead removing solvents and any gun shop and many big box stores with a sporting goods department will sell them.  One of them and a cleaning rod with a bronze barrel brush should remove it.   A Google search will turn up a lot of recommendations and videos on how to use them.

12 minutes ago, copterdrvr said:

This.

That is a heck of a weird place to have a lead deposit and in that specific pattern, ESPECIALLY if there isn't any lead anywhere else in the barrel.

Its not handgun..its PCC 14.5" with brake

1 hour ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I wanna go back for more load dev.

Should i completely remove lead before anything?

What solvent can i use?

16 minutes ago, copterdrvr said:

That makes it even stranger to me to think that the bullet makes it 14 inches down the barrel and THEN leaves a very narrow ring of lead in it...................

IMO its the brake that causing  it..the pressure behind the bullets before leaving muzzle..once hitting muzzle brake wall its the ring of pressure/fire including carbon and left over residue ie. Melted lead?

Its the only explanation i could come up with lol

Like how suppressors got dirty?

Edited by Bjay
2 minutes ago, copterdrvr said:

Actually, that's a pretty darned good guess!!!! 😆

If it's not a barrel ring, what the heck else could it be.

I myt switch to blue bullets or any full coated lead from now on :)

Hmmm i tried jb compound even soak it with hoppes 9

Scrubbed it with boy copper wrapped on bronze brush..the ring got larger in width?

Is it possible that ring is a exposed barrel steel.from nitrited coat bore?

IPC_2020-07-23.12.20.26.4210.jpg

Edited by Bjay
31 minutes ago, Nolan said:

How is the muzzlebrake attached?  Threaded, then pinned and welded or ???  If it's threaded 1/2-28, they may have pinched the barrel when they tightened the brake before pinning and welding.

Nolan

I pinned it myself..

It was timed and contour by my smith

Brake

Edited by Bjay
29 minutes ago, Nolan said:

How is the muzzlebrake attached?  Threaded, then pinned and welded or ???  If it's threaded 1/2-28, they may have pinched the barrel when they tightened the brake before pinning and welding.

Nolan

Yeah I was kinda thinking maybe the brake got over tighten and stretched the metal just enough to make a circular low spot which is causing the leading.

41 minutes ago, Dwbsig said:

Yeah I was kinda thinking maybe the brake got over tighten and stretched the metal just enough to make a circular low spot which is causing the leading.

With chrome moly salt bath nirited barrel? I highly doubt that unless barrel was orange heated

2 hours ago, Dwbsig said:

I thought that treatment was only a couple thousand deep?

Yes but it also a process that hardened a steel..chrome moly is even harder than stainless. 

43 minutes ago, 427Cobra said:

this aint precision benchrest, put the borescope away, clean or don't clean, its a pistol round loaded at low pressure

11 minutes ago, assaultthesalt said:

This.....Choot it ! :) 

Second!!

I love all those little hammer-forging marks in the bore......whoever it was that convinced the public that hammer-forged was superior to cut or button rifling must be the Pelé of marketing.