Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Legion for Carry Optics

Desk-Jockey

Diving back into USPSA after a long hiatus.  I have been a glock guy and shooting my 17 in production for the last few months.  Thinking about moving up to limited or carry optics.    Leaning toward carry optics.   Pricing a glock 34 MOS ($700) and all the things You “have” to do to them to get them shooting right, I will be well over $1k in just the gun and upgrades.  That Has me comparing to other options and the X5 legion has caught my eye.  

I have found a few threads here and there but I am curious what mods people are doing to their carry optics X5 legions.  

I put talon grips on mine, that’s about it. In GA summer I feel like they really help. Recently some members recommended the sig armorer trigger job, might be looming at doing that 

I like the GrayGuns trigger kit over the stock Legion trigger, but it's marginal. It's mostly just a better reset. I really like the Springer Precision paddle mag release.

I tested out a tungsten guide rod and for the life of me couldn't tell a difference so it definitely wasn't worth the $100+.

I also did a silicone carbide grip job and it makes a world of difference in grip in hot areas. It isn't terribly hard to do yourself, but there are guys doing really nice jobs for reasonable prices.

I'm also using a Springer Precision plate for the Romeo 3 Max dot.

No plans to change anything else right now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you can run a G17 like a boss I would put a SRO 5moa on it to see if you even like CO. There’s a learning curve and for me it took 1500 rds just to stop looking at the dot and feel comfortable with it like you would a front sight. I shot a stock Legion for a while and didn’t mind it over my prior very worked up Stock 2s. I wish it was as accurate. On a 124gr Ibejiheads on 4gr WST at 1.14” I’m seeing 3” off hand at 15yards vs 2" before.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly it doesn’t need anything. I would just shoot the thing and decide from there. While I have done many things discussed by others above they were not required to compete. I like to tinker and mostly most of what I have done was not required. The one exception is doing something grip wise. Grip tape, stipple job, or some other sort of texturing should be done. The grip works fine but I can see where it would get slick with sweaty hands. 

With that said for the tinkering types.  Custom stipple and Cerakote job. The Cerakote on both the frame and the slide seem to make the action a touch smoother than stock setup. Tungsten guild rod with Wolff 11# spring. GrayGuns drop in trigger. I am running 2 Legions with SROs. Durability wise I have no issue with the SROs. I love them. There is the double dot issue when pointed into a low sum on the horizon. Therefore I am going to start running a Sig Romeo 3 Max but I have already had to send one back after only about 500 rounds through it. I have a new one that has been shipped. A buddy is running 2 Romeo 3 max with no issues. So hopefully the new one lasts.