Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are terraced ejector stars a functional improvement?

speederlander

Well if it means anything I had to look up what on earth that is.

My $.02 

No not a improvement, moon clipped guns have pretty thin stars to begin with so cutting grooves in it would make it weaker and that can not be a good thing.

If your load leaves un burned powder you need to change your load, the load I run allows me to go thousands of rounds without brushing the cylinder let alone leaving powder under the star.

looking at the picture on pistol forum (the only referance that came up on GOOGLE) it would only work if the powder was sticking under the arms of the star so it does nothing for powder stuck by the ejector rod so it seems like a very partial solution to a problem that you shouldn't have on a race gun.

The only revolvers I have that would benefit with that modification would be my 617's . About all the 22lr ammo I have used leaves lots of unburnt powder residue under the star . My centerfire revolvers with the right powder I've never had that problem.

7 hours ago, Cherokeewind said:

Hey Mike, 

What powder would that be?

TIA.

I run Clay dot now used to run Clays but when the factory in Australia burned down it got hard to find so I switched,  (that is now made in the same factory so they are very very likely the same powder now) charges run about the same as new Canadian Clays with in what I would expect for lot to lot differences. 

5 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I run Clay dot now used to run Clays but when the factory in Australia burned down it got hard to find so I switched,  (that is now made in the same factory so they are very very likely the same powder now) charges run about the same as new Canadian Clays with in what I would expect for lot to lot differences. 

I'm using either also, whichever one is cheapest.  So far that's been ClayDot.

18 hours ago, PatJones said:

Looks like a solution to a non-existent problem.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

Funny story.  Back in the 80's when I got my first revolver (Lew Horton 3" round butt S&W 629) I  was shooting it a lot with reloads using 240 gr. lead bullet and Unique powder.  One range session I reloaded and could just not get the cylinder closed? It was close but it would lock in and I couldn't see anything wrong that was causing it.  I was a relatively new shooter at this point and this was my first revolver so after not being able to troubleshoot the problem I put it away for the session.   

Later I took at it to try and find the issue and looked it all over even looking at the part of the cylinder under the extractor star and found nothing. I kept at it and finally looked at the underside of the extractor star and found one perfect flake of unburned Unique stuck to the underside of the star that was causing a headspace problem.  A quick brush off and everything was back to normal. It was then I realized than a small thing can put a revolver out of commission.  At that time with no internet to consult I actually came to  the same conclusion and took a Dremel cutoff wheel and grooved the backside of the extractor star to provide clearance for crud.   It made sense at the time but because of this  experience I also started regularly brushing under the star on the cylinder and on the back of the star. I also learned the lesson of using a clear burning powder.  With the many revolvers that came after that, I never did the Dremel thing again, just kept them clean. 

Just a story to show that it can be a problem. Now if I had not had that problem back then and started cleaning my revolvers properly (and using cleaner powder) I would have never known it could be a problem.  With the internet shortening the learning curve for shooters today, it is probably not an issue anymore.  

Funny story.  Back in the 80's when I got my first revolver (Lew Horton 3" round butt S&W 629) I  was shooting it a lot with reloads using 240 gr. lead bullet and Unique powder.  One range session I reloaded and could just not get the cylinder closed? It was close but it would lock in and I couldn't see anything wrong that was causing it.  I was a relatively new shooter at this point and this was my first revolver so after not being able to troubleshoot the problem I put it away for the session.   

Later I took at it to try and find the issue and looked it all over even looking at the part of the cylinder under the extractor star and found nothing. I kept at it and finally looked at the underside of the extractor star and found one perfect flake of unburned Unique stuck to the underside of the star that was causing a headspace problem.  A quick brush off and everything was back to normal. It was then I realized than a small thing can put a revolver out of commission.  At that time with no internet to consult I actually came to  the same conclusion and took a Dremel cutoff wheel and grooved the backside of the extractor star to provide clearance for crud.   It made sense at the time but because of this  experience I also started regularly brushing under the star on the cylinder and on the back of the star. I also learned the lesson of using a clear burning powder.  With the many revolvers that came after that, I never did the Dremel thing again, just kept them clean. 

Just a story to show that it can be a problem. Now if I had not had that problem back then and started cleaning my revolvers properly (and using cleaner powder) I would have never known it could be a problem.  With the internet shortening the learning curve for shooters today, it is probably not an issue anymore.  

Funny. My 627 has never seen a powder other than unique. Been trying to move to bullseye, but people keep giving me free bottles of unique. Seriously, many of them are cardboard.

Full length 38 special with a roll crimp too. I guess I'm kinda old fashioned.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

Also case volume is a factor for powder burn with light charges, smaller combustion area is better. In my case the volume of the .44 Mag case I was using was a determent, case volume in a .38 spl is much better. As I said, I was a newbie and started using faster burn rate W231 because it was cleaner and got in the habit of using a small brush to keep things clean and never had an issue again. 

20 hours ago, PatJones said:

Funny. My 627 has never seen a powder other than unique. Been trying to move to bullseye, but people keep giving me free bottles of unique. Seriously, many of them are cardboard.

Full length 38 special with a roll crimp too. I guess I'm kinda old fashioned.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

I have about 1/3 of a can of a pound of Unique I bought in 1973?  I even loaded some 44 special SWC loads last year with it, and it still worked good!