Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ICORE major scoring

6 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Ran a COF at a local USPSA Match couple of years ago with my 627, Full Power Reloads 125 JHP's @ 1450 f/s, from an IWB holster.  Just to check out the EDC gear.  Warned the RO beforehand, as I usually shoot 160's @ 820 f/s.  Still scared the bejesus out of him.  Worked good, times were good, reloads went great just more thumpin' to the hand.  I'm sure it cost me a few seconds more, but not a lot.  It was fun, though it would get expensive!

I was running a .357 in IDPA for a bit. Honestly, I didn't mind the thump. The bigger issue was trying to reload those long, skinny cases efficiently, which is why I switched to a .40 . 

I actually just sold off my 9mm Rhinos and I'm going all .40/major from here on out. I don't notice any difference in recoil and the reload times make it worth it.

6 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

40 and 45s both load quicker than 38 or 9

I used to agree with that statement. By ~.10ish.

Now I think it’s even. I think some form of tests are in order. 

23 hours ago, matteekay said:

I was running a .357 in IDPA for a bit. Honestly, I didn't mind the thump. The bigger issue was trying to reload those long, skinny cases efficiently, which is why I switched to a .40 . 

I actually just sold off my 9mm Rhinos and I'm going all .40/major from here on out. I don't notice any difference in recoil and the reload times make it worth it.

I used Starline 357 mag cases, 124 JHP MG (.355's) 17.? gr 2400 for 1450 f/s in HearthCo moon clips. so they went in the same as my match loads.

16 hours ago, MWP said:

I used to agree with that statement. By ~.10ish.

Now I think it’s even. I think some form of tests are in order. 

I'm definitely not at your level, have to really work hard to get under 2 sec for a reload, but my limited testing has shown no difference either.  If anything the 38 short colts with tight moon clips are a bit more consistent.  I also seem to have less issues with a moon clip flipping back up and sitting on the cylinder with the 38's.

Seems to me the physics aspects would have no bearing and the technical aspects are equal, bad or malformed equipment are always an issue.  The biggest factor is the consistency or ease of use by the operator.  The human element is the factor that can't be easily controlled.

On 5/29/2020 at 9:19 AM, pskys2 said:

I'm definitely not at your level, have to really work hard to get under 2 sec for a reload, but my limited testing has shown no difference either.  If anything the 38 short colts with tight moon clips are a bit more consistent.  I also seem to have less issues with a moon clip flipping back up and sitting on the cylinder with the 38's.

Seems to me the physics aspects would have no bearing and the technical aspects are equal, bad or malformed equipment are always an issue.  The biggest factor is the consistency or ease of use by the operator.  The human element is the factor that can't be easily controlled.

Well, when you nail a reload that’s in the 1.3s or less, you nail it, it doesn’t matter if it’s 6 rounds or 8. A lot more goes into that speed than just throwing a moon and closing the gun. For example, the way the moon hits the cylinder has to do with the way the fingers grasp it, which makes it way back to how the moon is oriented on the belt, and also if it is spun on the post or exactly in the proper position to hit the cylinder before it even enters the hand. 

An average, repeatable number would have to be used. But, reload speed isn’t what separates 6v8 on the score card, it’s simply the sheer amount of reloads. 

I still think separate power factor scoring in icore is a bad decision. 

16 minutes ago, MWP said:

reload speed isn’t what separates 6v8 on the score card, it’s simply the sheer amount of reloads. 

I would more, its the forced standing reloads, harder shots/extra transitions you make to save a reload, and near total lack of makeup shots, that make 99% of the difference. 

• 2 years later...
8 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Is there a stage roundcount rule or shots per view rule like in USPSA ?

No not in Icore. It's common to use more shots per view to balance the reloads between 6 vs 8 rounds such as a 9 shot array.

5 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Is there a stage roundcount rule or shots per view rule like in USPSA ?

There was a 6 shot limit at one time (can't remember if it was set in stone or a suggestion), but it was eliminated several years ago when they began the L6 Division.

Edited by pskys2

I have watched some video's of ICOR matches, doesnt seem like it is quite the track meet that USPSA turned into,,, but does seem to be more of a reloading contest than a shooting match. I'll take some time with the rule book, and probably still check it out.
Had to order a new belt set,,,  My old belts all shrunk about 4 inches. 

On 7/25/2022 at 12:29 PM, Joe4d said:

I have watched some video's of ICOR matches, doesnt seem like it is quite the track meet that USPSA turned into,,, but does seem to be more of a reloading contest than a shooting match. I'll take some time with the rule book, and probably still check it out.
Had to order a new belt set,,,  My old belts all shrunk about 4 inches. 

Yes and No, the Time based scoring puts a premium on shot placement.  You can't make up enough time to cover dropping seconds.  So we move fast, and shoot deliberately.  

On stand and shoots the reloads make a difference, on a Field Course it's less of an issue as you have time to do the reload.  

The good thing is there's no 12 shot revolvers to trick up a stage!  It's 6 or 8.

16 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Yes and No, the Time based scoring puts a premium on shot placement.  You can't make up enough time to cover dropping seconds.  So we move fast, and shoot deliberately.  

On stand and shoots the reloads make a difference, on a Field Course it's less of an issue as you have time to do the reload.  

The good thing is there's no 12 shot revolvers to trick up a stage!  It's 6 or 8.

I would assume each club has its own flavor, and I'll be the odd guy out with a 7 shot shooting limited I think.

6 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I would assume each club has its own flavor, and I'll be the odd guy out with a 7 shot shooting limited I think.

Nah, just another Revolverlero!  Show up, shoot safe and have fun is what we're all about.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 4:17 PM, pskys2 said:

Or 9 or 10!  I've seen two such revolvers and really drooled over them!

Pure custom revolvers (read "expensive"); .32 H&R Mag; one is a S&W N frame (the 10 shot) and one is an Astra frame (the 9 shot); and custom moon clips too. 

WAY COOL.  IF money were no object, I would have one custom built!  

But, alas and alack, I'll likely have to stick with my M627 and M625.

13 minutes ago, varminter22 said:

Or 9 or 10!  I've seen two such revolvers and really drooled over them!

Pure custom revolvers (read "expensive"); .32 H&R Mag; one is a S&W N frame (the 10 shot) and one is an Astra frame (the 9 shot); and custom moon clips too. 

WAY COOL.  IF money were no object, I would have one custom built!  

But, alas and alack, I'll likely have to stick with my M627 and M625.

Yep they are a possibility just not seen very often.

• 7 months later...

So I shot a match last year in Nevada called the World Revolver Championship Series. It had a Heavy Metal division. They used NRA D1 targets but according to the rules, you can use ay target type the MD chooses. Rules were simple. 165pf, iron sights, six shot cylinders and 165pf. 610s, 625's, 629's all had a home. The match was shot together with other ICORE similar ruleset. HM division was shot using the same time as others with a scoring advantage. ABCM targets were scored with AB (8"&10") ring +0sec, C+2sec and M+5sec. Worked well. Was told USPSA targets can be used as well. Just define the scoring zone times in the stage description. No one complained. Was a huge hit. I look forward to shooting it again in Morro Bay this summer. If you are on facebook check out World Revolver Championship Series.