Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger MKIV 22/45 Trigger Job

kotchz

I've been looking at replacing the trigger parts on my 22/45, will be following your post closely. What about the TandemKross trigger? no sear tho? I reall enjoy the 22/45, more fun than I thought. 

39 minutes ago, tomjerry1 said:

I've been looking at replacing the trigger parts on my 22/45, will be following your post closely. What about the TandemKross trigger? no sear tho? I reall enjoy the 22/45, more fun than I thought. 

Do the trigger as well...adjustable for over travel.

I compete against myself. 25yd 4" steel for speed. I don't draw from holster. I may add a trigger later. The pistol needs better sights. I have a MK II with a 2.5 lb trigger and I like it better. I can handle the 1.5 lb trigger, just don't feel as confident with it. A few shots were unintentional.

I have a Tandenkross Victory flat trigger only in our 22/45 Lite. Didn't swap out any other parts. Adjustable for pre & over travel and with my gauge at about 2.0-2.5#. Crisp & positive reset. Really liking it and fairly easy to install.

gerritm

Wow, I put the Volk kit in my wife’s lite and it was around #1.75 so I installed the factory spring and that put it right at #2.75-3. I was going to suggest the same for you but.....

Edited by Farmer

16 hours ago, kotchz said:

I don't draw from holster. . I have a MK II with a 2.5 lb trigger and I like it better. I can handle the 1.5 lb trigger, just don't feel as confident with it.

Sounds like there's no safety problem here, just a comfort level.  

I would bet that with a month's practice, you will feel more comfortable with the

1.5 lb trigger, especially if you get more hits, faster.     :) 

whats the pull weight with all the factory parts?

is it good except for weight?

Do you have the kit with the adjustable trigger?

This is for over travel and pre travel.

What do you wont it to be/do.( your trigger pull/feel)

I have some ideas but need this info.

90% of the time Rugers only need the adjustiable trigger

to remove pre and over travel.

Edited by AHI

gerritm- Did you check the trigger pull before you added the trigger?? I'm suprised that the addition of the Tandenkross trigger changed the pull weight.

Just to let y'all know if you missed it- I have the factory sear spring. The spring in the kit gave a pull of 1.5lbs and so I put the factory back in and it increased it to 1.75lbs.

I bought the kit without a trigger.

I was afraid someone would ask about the pull from the factory. I know that it was rough and too heavy. Truth is that I forgot what I had measured.

I was thinking of putting in the factory hammer after polishing it and keeping the Volquartsen sear. I just think that the hammer and sear should be a matched pair.

On 5/8/2020 at 3:49 PM, Farmer said:

Wow, I put the Volk kit in my wife’s lite and it was around #1.75 so I installed the factory spring and that put it right at #2.75-3. I was going to suggest the same for you but.....

That's the same thing I did to increase the trigger pull on mine.  VQ kit brought it to 1.5 but the OEM spring brought it back to 2.7.

22 hours ago, kotchz said:

I just think that the hammer and sear should be a matched pair.

the first time you put the trigger kit in your gun .is the first time those parts are ever together FYI.

its not a matched set per say.

Edited by AHI

Was out working on the wife's pistol, had to remove a little of the mag catch so the magazine would insert and eject properly. Well, got that fixed, but created a hole new problem! I removed the trigger to make installing and removing the mag catch easier, like a shot, the trigger spring and plunger disappeared. I knew it would happen. Anyway, found the plunger, but no spring? Ball point pen spring cut down works.

Trigger pull on the wife's pistol is 3lbs 13 0z, mine is 4lbs 5oz. I will probably take my pistol apart and try stoning the sear. 

On 5/9/2020 at 5:49 PM, kotchz said:

gerritm- Did you check the trigger pull before you added the trigger?? I'm suprised that the addition of the Tandenkross trigger changed the pull weight.

Just to let y'all know if you missed it- I have the factory sear spring. The spring in the kit gave a pull of 1.5lbs and so I put the factory back in and it increased it to 1.75lbs.

I bought the kit without a trigger.

I was afraid someone would ask about the pull from the factory. I know that it was rough and too heavy. Truth is that I forgot what I had measured.

I was thinking of putting in the factory hammer after polishing it and keeping the Volquartsen sear. I just think that the hammer and sear should be a matched pair.

Been awhile, but if I remember right it was a typical Ruger trigger weight at about 3.5-4#. It was somewhat rough and not easily controlled for SC due to the longish pretravel & overtravel.. I didn't do anything else to it.With the flat TK Victory trigger it cleans up the pre & over and smooths out the pull.

gerritm

5 hours ago, gerritm said:

.With the flat TK Victory trigger it cleans up the pre & over and smooths out the pull.

I'm thinking of getting a flat trigger for my .22/45 Lite, since I have flat triggers in my 9mm's.

Any disadvantage to the flat trigger ?

tomjerry1- I actually stretched the trigger spring a little, not much. It didn't help measurably but I really didn't want to increase the trigger pull that way.

AHI- You are right about the hammer sear not being a matched set from the factory. These guns are not handmade by any means, but without taking the two hammers and placing them side by side and doing the same to the sears I wouldn't know if the geometry is different. I was wondering the same thing about swapping triggers. The guy I spoke to at Volquartsen said that swapping out the triggers wouldn't make a difference in the pull weight. I don't know if he was right. The geometry could be different with some triggers giving a mechanical advantage in some instances. I expect the feel of the trigger to change just as pulling or measuring the weight higher up on the trigger would increase the measured weight.

33 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'm thinking of getting a flat trigger for my .22/45 Lite, since I have flat triggers in my 9mm's.

Any disadvantage to the flat trigger ?

We have them in all our PCC's, AR's, & pistols. Have found that no matter where you put your finger you get the same pull. So I don't see any disadvantage especially if you are used to them.

geritm

Looks like Volquartsen has two kits for the Mark IV -

one is $152 and the other is $181.

Not sure what the difference is ?   Anyone have any

experience with these two triggers ?  

Both are supposed to provide a 2.25 lb trigger.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I put a Volquarsten trigger kit in my MKll about 6 or 7 years ago. It is about 1.5 pounds and works great for steel challenge. I has over 30k rounds on it and works great still. The only problem is that is the gun I started my son on. It was a lot of work when he switched to 9mm getting used to a striker fire.  

I put the Voquartsen Accurizing Kit in my Mark IV 22/45 Lite and then added the Tandemkross Flat Face Trigger.  I like the feel of the TK trigger.  I had put the stock trigger spring back in to get the pull to 2.7 pounds but after shooting for a while I decided to put the VQ spring back in and got down to 1.5 pounds. I've shot over 50K with it and really love it.  I shoot it for Steel Challenge Matches.

Untitled-1.jpg