Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1100 Broken Cam Guide Bolt (P/N 12486) HELP!!

Hello,

I was converting my RL1100 yesterday, and while removing the ratchet my cam guide bolt was incredibly tight... so tight that it completely shattered as I was trying to unscrew it. Needless to say all my toolheads are getting their ratchets removed.

I've been trying clamps, vise grips, pliers, etc to grab it and unscrew it, but nothing seems to be grabbing. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove it? Pic related.

Depends a little on what it actually looks like. If it’s almost flush you may have to drill it out and rethread it. Or send it in for warranty. If you opt to drill then it’s important to get it straight and centered. 

By far the best tool I've found for this type of thing is the Rigid screw extractor.  You should be able to find them locally and they're not that expensive.  Basically, you drill a hole in the center of the broken bolt, tap the extractor in, put the adapter on, and turn it out.  Works about 99% of the time and no damage to the threads if done correctly.  As stated above, it sounds like they used red loctite on that part, so remember to heat it nice and warm before you try to extract it.  I would use a propane/map gas torch if you have one.  Or a lighter will work.  Be sure to remove the powder, etc. before!

Mine broke today while loading.  Of course it broke below flush with nothing to get ahold of.  I don't know why they would use a cheap ass pot metal screw stud, then loctite it in.

Now I have to deal with this after waiting months for the press, a week on the parts they forgot to install and however long this takes.

On 5/12/2020 at 8:47 PM, HOGRIDER said:

Next time my Cam Guide Bolt is out, I'm going this direction with a replacement since I'm not using the Toolhead Ratchet............

https://www.mcmaster.com/precision-shoulder-bolts/alloy-steel-precision-shoulder-screws-8/

Lee know which one you go with and how it works. This looks promising 

It's a 1/4-20 bolt.  When mine broke I bought a stainless steel bolt at Home Depot and ground the head off.  Worked fine and got me back reloading until I could order one from Dillon.  I forgot to order it until just recently so ended up using my McGiver fix for about 6 months!

On 5/8/2020 at 5:30 PM, LeviSS said:

Mine broke today while loading.  Of course it broke below flush with nothing to get ahold of.  I don't know why they would use a cheap ass pot metal screw stud, then loctite it in.

Now I have to deal with this after waiting months for the press, a week on the parts they forgot to install and however long this takes.

It’s insanely ridiculous the direction that Dillon is taking... by using cheap pot metal,  and other cheapen out parts when it wouldn’t cost most to use the right bolts, screws, springs etc. So much for “team Blue Dillon is the best” and all this none sense. Now I have tap and drill that bolt screw off and find some after market option. No wonder there’s such a huge aftermarket support for mods and accessories for Dillon 🤦‍♂️😡 luckily my Mark7 doesn’t suffer from the same issues as Dillon does... it’s so frustrating! 

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, chumly2071 said:

I just had this same failure with a brand new toolhead.  I was cruising along, noticed it was loose, and when I tightened it, it shattered.  Pretty disappointed.

Some related info from users with the same dilemma.........

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/285434-issues-with-rl1100/page/2/

The guide bolt appears to now be a MIM part that is, IMO, a poor quality part!  Several users here with much older machines have never experienced a failure using the same part.  Some for over 20 years!

According to Dillon, this part is NOT supposed to be installed with any loctite!

Call Dillon they'll send you replacements; or just buy several spares to keep on hand.  And yes, they are included in the RL1100 spare parts kit.  😲

• 6 months later...

My fairly new RL1100 cam guide bolt snapped too. Felt a tiny bit of resistance on the up and POP off it went. I think a primer got jammed somehow but not sure that's what caused it. I can't see anything else that looks damaged, just wondering if there is anything else I should be looking for?

This is my first Dillon press totally so not familiar with them yet as I've only loaded bout 4000 rounds of 9mm on it, although I'm not new to reloading or progressive presses (I have Hornady and RCBS progressives as well as a couple of single stage presses)

Thanks, this looks like a great forum for Dillon information. 

10 hours ago, WSA said:

My fairly new RL1100 cam guide bolt snapped too. Felt a tiny bit of resistance on the up and POP off it went. I think a primer got jammed somehow but not sure that's what caused it. I can't see anything else that looks damaged, just wondering if there is anything else I should be looking for?

This is my first Dillon press totally so not familiar with them yet as I've only loaded bout 4000 rounds of 9mm on it, although I'm not new to reloading or progressive presses (I have Hornady and RCBS progressives as well as a couple of single stage presses)

Thanks, this looks like a great forum for Dillon information. 

Same thing happened to my 1100 shortly after I got it. I figured it was a fluke but it seems to be a bit bigger than that.  There was enough left that I could keep going and they sent a new one right away.  If it goes again I'll be looking for another solution.

18 minutes ago, WSA said:

Luckier than I was! Mine broke off flush so need to drill and extract it I guess. They should put a hex head socket on each end of this thing! :)

After reading some of these stories I do feel like I got off easy.