Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger Precision Rimfire vs American for PRS?

mgkrs

35 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

If possible try to check them out at a gunshop. I wanted the RPRR in the worst way till I saw one in person.

I agree. It wasn’t very aesthetically pleasing or feeling. I though it felt exceptionally cheap

On 5/4/2020 at 5:00 PM, Nathanb said:

I agree. It wasn’t very aesthetically pleasing or feeling. I though it felt exceptionally cheap

How does the 22lr Ruger Precision Rifle compare to the other larger caliber versions? 

I've never seen a chassis design that will come close to shooting as well as a target stock design. I've always felt and believed that a chassis design has to much whip and vibration throughout the design to compete with a solid stock design...I picked up one of the Ruger Precision Rimfire a while back..its horrible IMO..felt cheap and plastic like to me...

Edited by falconpilot

I don’t feel that way at all.  There are a crazy amount of true chassis guns that just flat out shoot.  

even the ruger precision’s that aren’t 22lr Are shooters and I consider them to be the entry level chassis guns. 

we’ve had multiple rprs and my tikka tac out at the same time and they fall into the boringly accurate category.  

Chassis may shoot ok for PRS, but walk the line at a F-Class or IBS nationals and you’ll not find a Chassis gun anywhere..my experience is that they tend to act like a tuning fork with lots of barrel vibration and whip..just may take on it, I’m sure some like them..

On 5/9/2020 at 6:58 PM, falconpilot said:

Chassis may shoot ok for PRS, but walk the line at a F-Class or IBS nationals and you’ll not find a Chassis gun anywhere..my experience is that they tend to act like a tuning fork with lots of barrel vibration and whip..just may take on it, I’m sure some like them..

That's because you don't have to move it. You can just wheel your log out there and drop it in the grass.

• 2 weeks later...

lol! True.

There are a ton of great options. The RPR has a lot of great features that didn't exist at that price point before, but the industry is catching up. It used to be that you had to drop $8k to be competetive, but not any longer.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Prange said:

None that I can find: https://ruger.com/products/precisionRimfire/models.html

I'd see if I could get to a match and see what's being used and ask around a bit.

It's always more expensive to buy twice.

Yeah, they don't have one. It was sort of a rhetorical question. They probably use a sporter chamber as well instead of a Bentz.

I personally avoid anything Ruger that I want to use for precision. I have been burned too many times with inaccurate Rugers.

My choice would be a Bergera B14 22, or the CZ mentioned above.

On 9/5/2020 at 7:37 AM, mpeltier said:

Yeah, they don't have one. It was sort of a rhetorical question. They probably use a sporter chamber as well instead of a Bentz.

I personally avoid anything Ruger that I want to use for precision. I have been burned too many times with inaccurate Rugers.

My choice would be a Bergera B14 22, or the CZ mentioned above.

You and I are on the same page with Ruger's definition of "precision". I have a Bergara on order,(steel barrel). Tikka would also be an option.

On 5/9/2020 at 10:58 PM, falconpilot said:

Is this experience verifiable (instrumented testing, etc) or is it just a hunch?  Many sports are very set in their ways and a lack of adoption of something by them in no way indicates a problem with the gear/system in question.

And let's just assume for a moment that your hypothesis is correct, it still doesn't matter because the point of precision rifle is not the smallest possible group while taking one's own sweet time and removing as much shooter influence as possible.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

It's my experience in never getting a Chassis to shoot anywhere near as good as a stocked rifle, whether it be a custom chassis built with a custom action(Bat, Panda, etc) or a stock chassis gun such as a Christensen Arms  Modern Precision Rifle in 6.5PRC. I know there are some custom built Chassis that will shoot lights out, but I'm referring to the OP question, and why I would pick the stock over chassis..

If the gun isn't capable of hitting what your shooting at, then my point does matter...

Edited by falconpilot

I thought the NRL22 shooters mostly used CZs. Tikka is thought to be a good competitor because the full size action gives more chassis options.

Admittedly an older article: 
https://nrl22.org/sports/nrl22-2018-nationals-gear-survey-results/

But of the two OP wanted to choose between, I would pick the RPR because of the shorter barrel. I'd prefer the American stock, but wouldn't want the longer barrel if I'm trying to stuff it into ports.

On 9/8/2020 at 7:58 AM, belus said:

I thought the NRL22 shooters mostly used CZs. Tikka is thought to be a good competitor because the full size action gives more chassis options.

Admittedly an older article: 
https://nrl22.org/sports/nrl22-2018-nationals-gear-survey-results/

But of the two OP wanted to choose between, I would pick the RPR because of the shorter barrel. I'd prefer the American stock, but wouldn't want the longer barrel if I'm trying to stuff it into ports.

At our monthly rimfire PRS/NRL matches about 1/2-3/4 of the shooters are using Vudoos.  The rest are a mixture of CZ and Ruger.  I am using Vudoo and Remington 40X Elrod repeaters.  Everyone once in a while I break out my Anschutz 1727 or CLE AR-15, just because I can.

The Ruger Precision and Ruger Americans have put out some decent barrels and some horrible barrels.

On 9/7/2020 at 11:58 AM, falconpilot said:

It's my experience in never getting a Chassis to shoot anywhere near as good as a stocked rifle, whether it be a custom chassis built with a custom action(Bat, Panda, etc) or a stock chassis gun such as a Christensen Arms  Modern Precision Rifle in 6.5PRC. I know there are some custom built Chassis that will shoot lights out, but I'm referring to the OP question, and why I would pick the stock over chassis..

If the gun isn't capable of hitting what your shooting at, then my point does matter...

There are way too many people with incredibly accurate rifles in unbedded, mass produced chassis to give any credit to your sample size.

This isn't benchrest or F class.  What they do or don't do is irrelevant.

SGT

What do you define as accurate? That may be where our definitions are different..accurate for me is 10 shot groups at 600 yards with my 284 or TAC40 under 2 inches..at 1000 yards that 10 shot group must be under 5 inches with 284 and 300 WSM..

Edited by falconpilot