Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm PCC load pistol vs 16" barrel

First and for most f$&#k communist states!

Unfortunately i can only own 16" rifle barrel.

Is there diff set up reloadinh pistol 9mm or sbr 9mm

Vs loading 16" barrel.

Should i use slower powder or it dont matter

Taccom3g has  a few different barrels that are short barrels 5.25,”, 10”,  13”) with an extension pinned & welded to make it 16” OAL. These let you use regular pistol loads without need for tweaking for PCC. 

1 hour ago, mitommy said:

Taccom3g has  a few different barrels that are short barrels 5.25,”, 10”,  13”) with an extension pinned & welded to make it 16” OAL. These let you use regular pistol loads without need for tweaking for PCC. 

What he use on 13" to get it to 16"? Muzzle brake? Or fake suppressor (sleeve)

Firing your 9mm pistol ammo out of a 16" barrel will increase your velocity between 100 and 220fps, depending on the powder used.  The slower the powder the larger the increase.

I have both a 16" SS barrel and a Wiland USA LLW barrel.  The Wiland has a 5.5" rifled section and a welded on metal shroud to get it to 16.1".  The Wiland will let you use the same ammo for pistol and PCC.  PFs will be almost identical.

There are two schools of thought for loading 9mm PCC.  One school is to use very light loads, mostly for steel challenge.  This could be problematic in a 16" rifled barrel if you use fast powders.  You want to be sure the bullet actually exits the barrel. 

The other school goes for minimal dot bounce.  This requires tuning your buffer, spring, short stroke method and your load.  It is mostly USPSA shooters who want this, although it is valuable for SCSA as well.  It usually takes somewhere between 135 and 145PF to minimize the dot bounce.  For example, my standard 5.56 carbine spring, Blitzkrieg standard buffer and a 3/4" short stroke eliminates dot bounce with a 147 at 144PF.  Reloading this requires slower powder than used with lighter bullets.  For my 5.5" rifled section, those loads are near max.  With a 16" rifled barrel you are mid-range on pressure, because you are going to gain some velocity from the longer barrel.

So then you have to ask yourself what is more important to you.  If it is lightning fast transitions for SCSA, you want a short barrel with a shroud.  For USPSA I don't think it matters as much.

Howzit

yes you can run your pistol Ammo thru your pcc however with the velocity increase my 135pf pistol Ammo chronoed at over 150pf In the pcc
rather then work up a new load, I simply dropped my bullet weight from 135 for pistol to 115 for pcc, same powder charge,  and I don’t have to adjust anything on the press and my PF for both is 135

4 hours ago, zzt said:

Firing your 9mm pistol ammo out of a 16" barrel will increase your velocity between 100 and 220fps, depending on the powder used.  The slower the powder the larger the increase.

I have both a 16" SS barrel and a Wiland USA LLW barrel.  The Wiland has a 5.5" rifled section and a welded on metal shroud to get it to 16.1".  The Wiland will let you use the same ammo for pistol and PCC.  PFs will be almost identical.

There are two schools of thought for loading 9mm PCC.  One school is to use very light loads, mostly for steel challenge.  This could be problematic in a 16" rifled barrel if you use fast powders.  You want to be sure the bullet actually exits the barrel. 

The other school goes for minimal dot bounce.  This requires tuning your buffer, spring, short stroke method and your load.  It is mostly USPSA shooters who want this, although it is valuable for SCSA as well.  It usually takes somewhere between 135 and 145PF to minimize the dot bounce.  For example, my standard 5.56 carbine spring, Blitzkrieg standard buffer and a 3/4" short stroke eliminates dot bounce with a 147 at 144PF.  Reloading this requires slower powder than used with lighter bullets.  For my 5.5" rifled section, those loads are near max.  With a 16" rifled barrel you are mid-range on pressure, because you are going to gain some velocity from the longer barrel.

So then you have to ask yourself what is more important to you.  If it is lightning fast transitions for SCSA, you want a short barrel with a shroud.  For USPSA I don't think it matters as much.

We dont compete any 3 gun.or similar i wanna practice shooting fundemantals for standard 223 using 9mm

Transition, handling for faster follow up shots..kinda joh wick :)

45 minutes ago, Bjay said:

We dont compete any 3 gun.or similar i wanna practice shooting fundemantals for standard 223 using 9mm

Transition, handling for faster follow up shots..kinda joh wick :)

Then use the slower powder to get your comp working some.  9mm PCCs move around more than .223 AR-15s do.  You want to go for no, or very little dot bounce, because that is how properly set up AR-15s behave.

Edited by zzt
10 minutes ago, zzt said:

Then use the slower powder to get your comp working some.  9mm PCCs move around more than .223 AR-15s do.  You want to go for no, or very little dot bounce, because that is how properly set up AR-15s behave.

N320 or 330 or 350

Those are the powders i have.

I also have some wst w31 and titegeoup

WST is too fast.  Titegroup sucks.  N320 will work, but it's fast and you won't make much gas.  Assuming you want at least 135PF, N320 is too fast for 115s, N330 gets you there at max.  N350 makes more gas and you can go higher if you need more PF to match your set up.  With 124s, N320 gets you close. The others make it with ease.  For 147s, N320 is too fast.  Both N330 and N350 will get you there with ease.

4 minutes ago, zzt said:

WST is too fast.  Titegroup sucks.  N320 will work, but it's fast and you won't make much gas.  Assuming you want at least 135PF, N320 is too fast for 115s, N330 gets you there at max.  N350 makes more gas and you can go higher if you need more PF to match your set up.  With 124s, N320 gets you close. The others make it with ease.  For 147s, N320 is too fast.  Both N330 and N350 will get you there with ease.

What bullet combo with 330 and 350 for 16 9mm pcc.

Ty for help brother stay safe everyone

14 hours ago, Bjay said:

What bullet combo with 330 and 350 for 16 9mm pcc.

Ty for help brother stay safe everyone

I would start with 124s, then try 147s.  Load a ladder at 130, 135, 140, 145PF and see what works the best with your buffer/spring combo.  Then do the same with the 147s.  I started with 147 plated RN, because I had them on hand.  I'm about to do the same with the 124s I have coming in.  My PCC does not like JHPs, so I had to order some RNs.

5 hours ago, zzt said:

I would start with 124s, then try 147s.  Load a ladder at 130, 135, 140, 145PF and see what works the best with your buffer/spring combo.  Then do the same with the 147s.  I started with 147 plated RN, because I had them on hand.  I'm about to do the same with the 124s I have coming in.  My PCC does not like JHPs, so I had to order some RNs.

Is it accuracy or FTF issues?

I do have a lot of FP 124 135 147 from rmr

Edited by Bjay
2 hours ago, Bjay said:

Is it accuracy or FTF issues?

I do have a lot of FP 124 135 147 from rmr

It is failure to feed when using Glock or Magpul mags.  I just got some ETS mags, and they sit higher.  So I'll give them a chance.

For my Wilson Combat AR9 with a 14" barrel I use very fast powders.  3.3gr - 3.4gr N310 @ 1.130, with a 115gr blue bullet. I tuned the buffer, spring, short stroked.  I don't worry about the comp as there will not be enough gas after 14" - 16" of burn in the barrel to work the comp no matter how slow a powder you use.  My dot hardly moves and I get 130pf - 135pf.   I have tested 115gr, 125gr and 147gr bullets. Fast powders - Slow powders.  N310, N320, SP,N330, N350 Auto-comp, 3N38. The fast burning powders will give you the least amount of dot movement, you will make PF with the smallest powder charge in a PCC with a 14" - 16" barrel. in a pistol my load only makes 109pf - 116pf

• 2 weeks later...

I use 4.0 pwr pistol with BlueBullets 147rn.  Out of the pistols, I get about 135PF, my sbr is the same, and out of my GMR13, it gets to about 160pf.  I ended up using the MBX adjustable buffer system to reduce recoil, so now I can make all my 9mm minor or pcc ammo the same. 

I shoot 147 Berrys or Xtreme plated bullets for USPSA. Shadow 1 load 3.0TiteGroup in my PCCs  over 100 FPS more thorugh my Scorpion right at 100 FPS more in my JP GMR15. I load 2.8 Titegroup for PCC for the 147. Steel Challenge I shoot Berrys 124 with 3.0 TiteGroup for the Shadow and the PCCs. Runs reliably in all 3. 

Im pretty sure barrel length will play pretty big rule...? When picking powder for load combo?

Mine its going to be 16" or maybe ill cut it into 14.5 with pinned brake..

Now, pf wont matter for my purpose since we dont do any competition here.but it will be range practicing speed shooting..

I was shooting 124g jacketed w/3.6-3.7g of N320 in a 16" RRA and it ran great once I got the right buffer spring, spacer, etc. dialed in.  Basically the same load I run in my 5" 2011.  Not sure what the pf was through the rifle, but it was accurate and 100% reliable.

4 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I was shooting 124g jacketed w/3.6-3.7g of N320 in a 16" RRA and it ran great once I got the right buffer spring, spacer, etc. dialed in.  Basically the same load I run in my 5" 2011.  Not sure what the pf was through the rifle, but it was accurate and 100% reliable.

I got 4lb of 330 have you tried them before? 

For dot bounce reduction.  Try balancing your rifle to the mag well or a little further towards the butt stock.  It my experience it drives the recoil direction rearward lessening raise and help eliminate nose dive.  To me a balanced gun transitions easier.  Amazon sells lead wire. 7$.