Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"female" As A Descriptor

Patrick Sweeney

I hate that, for whatever reason, someone has decided that "female" describes everyone from the little tyke next door to granny. Now, I can understand its use in some technical settings.

A Doctor writes "18 year old female presents with...." he's writing the description. In that context there are two: male and female.

A police officer writes "arrested a 15 year old female....." he's presenting the situation in as neutral a manner as possible. "Girl" might imply something else, given her solicitation arrest. "Boy" in some places gets you an automatic lawsuit.

And I understand that neither wants to be using "boy" "girl" "son" whatever, as they have nothing to do with the job at the moment.

But as one example, the new TV show with Geena Davis. Headline: "First female President." Unless the journalist writing it has a bag over his/her head and hasn't seen her int he last twenty years, Geena Davis is a woman! Not a girl, or a female. A female is the group of any population capable of a certain manner of procreation. It must always be modified! To say someone is female leaves off the important part. So, Geena Davis plays the first female President, what? Human? Chimpanzee? Rainbow Trout?

Pardon me while I slip into profanity here [seventeen second gap in tape] use the frakkin' language properly, or learn how, you over-educated, under-taught "graduates" of a journalism school.

I hate it that 16 years in the frinkin' military have re-wired my brain to use "female" and "male" just as Patrick ranted. I hate it, and I STILL talk like that.

Stupid government-ese...Borg government-ese... :P

Alex

I also use female and male all the time. In business, self-preservation makes things like that a habit.

To stay on topic, I hate that I do that.

However I WOULD describe Geena Davis as "female".

All,

Quite the opposite from Alex, it doesn't bother me. Never has. The description doesn't matter. When I tell people to look for me, I mention a couple of things: Wakal, TSgt-type, mouthy, redhead, female, one each.

No one has had to look for me twice. :)

Liota

Gina and the rest of that crew are just getting us used to the idea of Pez. Hillary.

You want, Gina will be interviewed about her impact on US politics for playing a president, same as Glen Close and Sheen.

Why do all the liberals get to play the country saving president.

hmmm, interesting, yes provacative. <_<

Here's a laugh, did you see George Clooney gets to play Bob Baer. Woof. :wacko:

Will she be led down the primrose path by her National Security Advisor probably a good looking guy, will she go to bed with a male intern, will she invite M. Moore to the White House, will she hold a picnic in the rose garden for all her Hollyweird friends, stayed tuned.... :lol: