Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought a Mark 7 Evo, need help choosing dies (9mm)

45 minutes ago, Hdiamond said:

Admittedly not the full set but I picked up their sizing and crimp dies. Results weren’t what I was hoping for, especially the crimp die. Ended up going back to my old setup. 

Well that’s disappointing. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I stumbled across this thread. Has there been any update on the Mark 7 Trimmer?

On 10/21/2020 at 1:41 AM, Hdiamond said:

Admittedly not the full set but I picked up their sizing and crimp dies. Results weren’t what I was hoping for, especially the crimp die. Ended up going back to my old setup. 

Any additional feedback about the MA sizing and crimp dies?

On 11/25/2020 at 8:01 PM, Mancolt said:

Glad I stumbled across this thread. Has there been any update on the Mark 7 Trimmer?

Any additional feedback about the MA sizing and crimp dies?

MA is working on a crimp die right now. I've used both the RCBS taper crimp die and the lee factory crimp die for 9 with good results, but the Lee FCD is a little short for the thick toolhead on the Mark 7 presses. You'd have to run the lock ring on the bottom of the toolhead, which interferes with available press lighting systems. 

From a sizing die standpoint, I really like them. No coke bottle shape, and I honestly don't remember the last time I bothered with lube (I exclusively load pistol). Had to change up my flare and crimp settings some but once I got that dialed in, it's been smooth sailing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 8:01 AM, WaynePatrick said:

Take a look at the new Super Duty Smart Die for Mark 7s.

Wayne, my EVO Pro is on order, and I’ve got a shopping cart with your dies in it.  Question - What sensor port does your smart decap use? I’ve only been able to look at the manual for the Evo, so it’s not clear whether or what port to use for it if using the full Monty of other Mark 7 sensors. 

21 hours ago, Rfeustel said:

Wayne, my EVO Pro is on order, and I’ve got a shopping cart with your dies in it.  Question - What sensor port does your smart decap use? I’ve only been able to look at the manual for the Evo, so it’s not clear whether or what port to use for it if using the full Monty of other Mark 7 sensors. 

remote stop port. 

I have a Mark7 Evo in 223 on order, but I've been thinking about how to put together a toolhead for 9mm so I can divert my 650 to large primer stuff. Using the list I saw earlier in the thread, I've been parsing it out. Auto-drive is not an immediate concern; I'm willing to replace items once I make that commitment in a year or two. But if I can spend fifty bucks more and be better set for it, I'm OK with that.

1. case feed
  2. de-cap: MA Super Duty w/ pistol guide, or maybe FW Arms
  3. swage (hold down die on toolhead): FW Arms Auto-Center Swage Foot
  4. prime AND resize: Redding 3 die competition pack?
  5. case mouth expansion: Mighty Armory Flare & Expander Die
  6. powder drop: Hornady?
  7. powder check: DAA? Mark7? Is there a real difference other than the sensor compatibility?
  8. bullet drop: DAA MrBF
  9. bullet seating: Redding 3 die competition pack?
  10. crimp: Redding 3 die competition pack?

Thoughts? You can see I'm trying to figure it out. In particular, I have no idea about the powder drop and powder check situation.

I use the following: 

- FW Arms auto-popper decapper (it’s on back order and at coating according to the owner). It’s an improved version with a spring to prevent primer pullback.

- FW Arms Swage foot die

- Lee U-die if you can find one if not, Redding is another choice ( I have both)

- DAA powder funnel

- MBF dropper

- Lee FCD/ Redding taper crimp die (I use both depending on bullets being loaded)

1 hour ago, George16 said:

I use the following: 

- Lee U-die if you can find one if not, Redding is another choice ( I have both)

- Lee FCD/ Redding taper crimp die (I use both depending on bullets being loaded)

What's your criteria for the Redding vs Lee dies for these? Which powder drop are you using, the Mk7?