Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traditional fiber front (Dawson) vs Manny Dot

MJinPA

Anyone have experience with both? If so does the manny dot provide any advantage or disadvantage while shooting fast? Seems like it would be more precise but wondering if it feels slower. 60fd9caacf687234aa5814f3c65f623e.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used both, I like the Dawson myself. I have the Manny Dot that came one one of my limited guns. I ended up putting the fiber all the way through, I never really could get used to it.

I have used both, I like the Dawson myself. I have the Manny Dot that came one one of my limited guns. I ended up putting the fiber all the way through, I never really could get used to it.

Does it basically just make the fiber appear smaller?

The question is a little vague because the Dawson and Manny Mini Dot sights have two huge differences between them. The primary difference is the width of the front sight. The narrowest Dawson front sight you can get is a 0.090. The Manny Mini Dot is 0.070 which is visually much narrower. We all have different visual abilities (Focal speed and clarity) so what overall width of front sight post you need is primarily going to be determined by the limitation of your eyes. This is especially true when shooting in less than optimal lighting conditions.

The size of the fiber bulb you see is the second difference. The Manny mini dot puts the fiber bulb behind the front most post which has an exact 0.040 size hole in it. This produces a consistent size fiber bulb you see while looking at the front of the sight which is a good and bad. Its good because the bulb size you see is consistent regardless of how big the actual melted bulb is. But its also bad because the small 0.040 hole can be too small for some people and they don't see enough fiber bulb. The Dawson front sights can have a varied size front bulb based on how much you melt the tip of the fiber. Melt it less results in a smaller bulb, melt it more and it makes a bigger bulb. This is a good tuning option for aging eyes when people want to increase the bulb size to see it better. But it is also bad because it can be difficult to replicate the exact same bulb size when replacing the fiber.

Front sights are tuning options to help you find the balance between seeing enough while shooting fast and not being too overwhelming so that you can't aim precisely. Since there are seemingly endless combinations available to test out, and everyone's eyes are different, there isn't a magical front/rear sight configuration that works best for everyone. This means that you need to throw down your hard earned cash and buy several different sight setups to see what works best for YOU.

The question is a little vague because the Dawson and Manny Mini Dot sights have two huge differences between them. The primary difference is the width of the front sight. The narrowest Dawson front sight you can get is a 0.090. The Manny Mini Dot is 0.070 which is visually much narrower. We all have different visual abilities (Focal speed and clarity) so what overall width of front sight post you need is primarily going to be determined by the limitation of your eyes. This is especially true when shooting in less than optimal lighting conditions.

The size of the fiber bulb you see is the second difference. The Manny mini dot puts the fiber bulb behind the front most post which has an exact 0.040 size hole in it. This produces a consistent size fiber bulb you see while looking at the front of the sight which is a good and bad. Its good because the bulb size you see is consistent regardless of how big the actual melted bulb is. But its also bad because the small 0.040 hole can be too small for some people and they don't see enough fiber bulb. The Dawson front sights can have a varied size front bulb based on how much you melt the tip of the fiber. Melt it less results in a smaller bulb, melt it more and it makes a bigger bulb. This is a good tuning option for aging eyes when people want to increase the bulb size to see it better. But it is also bad because it can be difficult to replicate the exact same bulb size when replacing the fiber.

Front sights are tuning options to help you find the balance between seeing enough while shooting fast and not being too overwhelming so that you can't aim precisely. Since there are seemingly endless combinations available to test out, and everyone's eyes are different, there isn't a magical front/rear sight configuration that works best for everyone. This means that you need to throw down your hard earned cash and buy several different sight setups to see what works best for YOU.

Thanks. I’m not at all unhappy with the Dawson I use now. Just building a new top end and thought I’d explore something different. Will likely just stick with what I know.

I know you are comparing the Dawson  vs. Manny  dots, but if you are not completely satisfied, look into the Robert Vogel sights. It made a big difference to me as far as acquiring targets faster vs. Dawson's sight.

Another option. 

Edited by Hperea

I have an .090 Dawson in my gun. Yours is probably a .100. You can check it out tomorrow

I guess it’s a good time to compare rear sights too. Never put too much thought into before and just ran with what it came with.

I love my Manny dot with a wide rear notch. I think the smaller width of the sight in the larger notch makes it easier to align the sights with more "daylight" in between. I'd say the width is the biggest difference that I notice. I also like the length of the fiber. It can get dirty and still reflect the light well. I feel like the Dawson was a bit shorter.

On 2/8/2020 at 8:03 PM, MJinPA said:

I guess it’s a good time to compare rear sights too. Never put too much thought into before and just ran with what it came with.

I have my Manny dot paired with a Wilson Combat adj rear using a 0.090 notch and it is a fast and precise system on my DW PM9. The Wilson adjustable rear is now out of production and a good alternative is the Brazos Top Notch adj rear, which can be ordered in 0.090, 0.110, or 0.130 notch. Price is right too - can find Manny dot and Brazos Top Notch together for just over 100 bucks. 

Edited by Slo147
Add clarity

I used to use a Dawson 0.090" front sight but am now a fan of the Brazos Micro Dot http://www.1911store.com/lightningrodmicrodotkimbernovak.aspx

The Micro Dot is 0.100" wide with a 0.040" recessed fiber.  The sight is thin without being too thin (too much light on the sides) and the dot is big enough to acquire quickly but small enough that it is not distracting.

I use the Micro Dot in conjunction with a Kensight adjustable rear with a 0.135" notch.

When I tried the Manny Dot, it was just too skinny for the rear sight notch that I have on my guns.

I switched to Brazos front sights after my Dawson front sights kept breaking.

I ran the manny dot on my edge for 2yrs. Loved it. Took some getting used to for a couple of rdry fire sessions, but it seemed faster to get aligned on closer targets (8-12yd) and allowed for precise tight shots at distance with a focused sight picture. I changed the fiber often because of how small it was I liked it to stay bright. I will say that going to any other iron sight made it look like a stop sign. I was running the dawson front on my 1911 9mm in single stack at the same time. I rarely shot it but when I did it threw me off. In fact I researched getting a manny dot for my 1911 to match, but Bob doesn't offer them with a Springfield front sight cut. I was/am using the springfield adjustable rear. My idea was to get one with a wider notch. I ended up selling the edge anyway so I haven't messed with the 1911. If I shot it more I'd still like a wider rear notch. That may be causing bias in my personal experience.

If I shot the manny dot again I would want all my iron sights to mimic it.