Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pre-Stage Ritual for Mental Focus

anonymouscuban

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you have a pre-stage ritual. Something you always do just before you're going to shoot a stage to clear your mind and get mental focus.

I have a very busy mind and focusing has always been an issue for me. When I played baseball, I had a ritual that I would go through while on deck and as I entered the batter's box to get focused. This is my 2nd year shooting USPSA and, although I am finding it easier to focus, I still struggle at times. One of the things I am doing now is to close my eyes and visualize the stage while I'm on deck. I also tried pantomiming shooting the stage from behind the line as the shooter ahead of me is actively running the stage. I saw JJ Ricaza do this on a few Instagram videos. Did this on a couple of stages at yesterday's match and seemed to help a bit. 

Curious to see if any of you have a ritual and what it is. 

Thanks. 

I stop resetting/ ROing/ scorekeeping when I’m in the hole. Go to my cart, mags on belt, coat off, powered ears off, right glasses. When I’m up next, step into the start position and finger gun my plan during reset. Then stand in the start position staring at the first target until Make ready. At make ready, draw and sight picture at first target, then load, etc.

3 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

I stop resetting/ ROing/ scorekeeping when I’m in the hole. Go to my cart, mags on belt, coat off, powered ears off, right glasses. When I’m up next, step into the start position and finger gun my plan during reset. Then stand in the start position staring at the first target until Make ready. At make ready, draw and sight picture at first target, then load, etc.

Thanks for sharing. I think one thing I can do is make what I do during make ready part of the ritual. Silly now that I think about that I haven't. I don't always do the same thing. I will usually draw to a sight picture but sometimes I will add a transition or two. I may just draw and get sight picture on first target always. Eliminate the transitions. 

On Deck...

I vape a crap out and drink water

Next Shooter..

I watch the next shooter right before me, doesn't matter what division

Load and Make Ready...

I draw, get a sight picture and DA shoot, twice. I grab and kiss my mag (habit from pcc.. good fortune / jam free stage) and load. I grip my pistol in the holster and raise the other hand, closed fist to visualize the stage a la JJ. From start position, I grab my pistol twice, simulating my draw. Finally a big sigh.

That's my 'NBA free throw' ritual 

once on deck.. walk back to range cart / bag

quit helping / socializing / talking
turn off ear pro
drink water
get a fresh stick of shooting gum
dry hands - re-apply dry-hand stuff
check mags are loaded
quit watching - face away and visualize whole stage a few times - and step through stage facing away.
get a good last walkthrough once RO calls range is clear -- looking at landmarks / index points
rehearse first few steps until RO calls make ready

Those are all good points and once you have all that in mind, STOP THINKING ABOUT THE STAGE!

To do that I have a mantra that I repeat mentally (eyes open or closed as necessary for you) until I hear the "Make Ready" command

Smooth

Safety

Sight Picture

Trigger Control

Center Hit

When you hear "Make Ready"

Wiggle your toes

Roll your shoulders if necessary

Inhale and exhale slowly while making ready

Breathe normally and inhale at "Are You Ready"

Very small slow exhale at "Stand By"

Run the program, observe and correct only if necessary

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is a tremendous benefit to a "pre-shot routine".  When i used to play competitive golf, I am many others had a pre shot routine.  Its important to get your mind in the same place every single time before you execute.  Only you can decide what that is.  For me I liked to focus on things that actually had nothing to do with swinging a golf club, alignment, wind, temps, yardage, etc....and let the swing happen.  Not sure if this translates directly to shooting but it certainly helps.  Oh and I agree with others, when I am on deck I completely shut off outside distractions and try to get in the zone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I’m chronically anxious and stage planning and pre-run always gets me all excited.

Brain is always running a million miles an hour. Usually this causes me to make crucial mistakes on a stage.

I always mentally go through the stage multiple multiple times to make sure it’s memorized. But sometimes if I’m not sure it’s in there I get nervous and then I can’t relax.

I’ve got a long way to go with the mental preparation.

• 1 year later...

Everyone says "visualize" the stage plan and memorize it.  I get what I'm supposed to do but in reality am having trouble memorizing large or complex stages.  Mentally I've been challenged to "see" the entire sequence and commit to my subconscious.  Any advice on breaking the stage into smaller segments or picking markers with a specific number of targets at each .  How can I best simplify the stage planning process, so my ageing brain can quickly comprehend it ? 

thanks in advance for any help/advice

Break it down to shooting positions. Shoot these 4 targets here.... in this order. Move ,reload, then shoot this array from here.... move, reload,  repeat.

I find it easier to remember each small section, and then stitch it together with movement/reload points. Trying to put the whole un in your head as one data dump can come with time and practice, but can be a handful. Like memorizing a phone number can be a lot of digits all strung together; but if you have a 1, and then 3 digit area code, then 3 digits then 4, it becomes easier to grasp.

Now, some stages are just crazy and designed to mess with memorization, and will test your ability to remember which targets are engaged already and which are not. Those take a little more, but can also be broken down to shooting positions etc....  the trick here is not overthinking it and reengaging a target (or skipping one).

If all else fails, like stated above in other posts, clear your mind, then shoot them as you see them, one trigger press at a time, and move as efficiently as possible from point to point til you are at the end. Sometimes pushing to hard and the rush to be fast disables your ability to just flow.

And I usually DO NOT watch the guy right before me shoot as I should already have a plan in my head and watching them may mess me up mentally. I should be executing my plan on deck, not anyone else's.

So I would like to practice the advice from sfinney in the above post--trying to break down the the stage into smaller sections and then stringing them together.  The challenge is I only see large/medium size stages at matches.  So yes, I'm willing to learn from those real live experiences but are there any mental exercises that would enhance my ability to subconsciously imprint the stage plan.  Would looking at  USPSA stage diagrams be helpful for visualization ?  Is it memory that I need to improve or finding the ability to make the "movie" in my head of me shooting the stage ?

8 hours ago, bludog said:

So I would like to practice the advice from sfinney in the above post--trying to break down the the stage into smaller sections and then stringing them together.  The challenge is I only see large/medium size stages at matches.  So yes, I'm willing to learn from those real live experiences but are there any mental exercises that would enhance my ability to subconsciously imprint the stage plan.  Would looking at  USPSA stage diagrams be helpful for visualization ?  Is it memory that I need to improve or finding the ability to make the "movie" in my head of me shooting the stage ?

I only use the stage diagrams/WSB to look for starting conditions, target arrays and any other "specials" to look for and ensure that there is nothing I'm not familiar with, or already trained before. If I do see something that I'm unfamiliar with I dry and live fire it prior to the match to increase my self confidence. I do not use them to built my stage plans, since they rarely reflect the real life conditions on the ground. One of the big advantages between USPSA and IPSC is that in USPSA you can actually walk the stages prior to the match and use that time to do your walk throughs, analyze options, do your risk/reward analysis and construct your actual stage plan based on that. In IPSC that's not possible. We're not allowed to go onto the stages. We have to do everything withing 3 to 4 minutes after the RO stage briefing. Visualisation is the final step after you have selected your actual stage plan. Memorize the stage and airgun it as much as you can with your eyes closed. If you built and visualize your stage plan based on the WSB, the likelihood of issues increases.

Thanks for posting the "mental aspects" video. I've read the Bassham book, but will go  to the youtube link for a video reminder. Having had a couple of matches with problems memorizing stage plans I have lost some confidence in my ability to subconsciously put a plan in my head. I think what I'm hearing is stay positive, keep the plan simple, visualize it in my head and then just concentrate on putting the dot on the target and pressing the trigger.

On 3/28/2022 at 8:38 AM, sfinney said:

Break it down to shooting positions. Shoot these 4 targets here.... in this order. Move ,reload, then shoot this array from here.... move, reload,  repeat.

I find it easier to remember each small section, and then stitch it together with movement/reload points. Trying to put the whole un in your head as one data dump can come with time and practice, but can be a handful. Like memorizing a phone number can be a lot of digits all strung together; but if you have a 1, and then 3 digit area code, then 3 digits then 4, it becomes easier to grasp.

Now, some stages are just crazy and designed to mess with memorization, and will test your ability to remember which targets are engaged already and which are not. Those take a little more, but can also be broken down to shooting positions etc....  the trick here is not overthinking it and reengaging a target (or skipping one).

If all else fails, like stated above in other posts, clear your mind, then shoot them as you see them, one trigger press at a time, and move as efficiently as possible from point to point til you are at the end. Sometimes pushing to hard and the rush to be fast disables your ability to just flow.

And I usually DO NOT watch the guy right before me shoot as I should already have a plan in my head and watching them may mess me up mentally. I should be executing my plan on deck, not anyone else's.

Found I do something similar as far as ‘stitching’ the stage together. I’ve also avoided watching the two or three guys before me and can usually be found mentally shooting the stage somewhere off in the back of the group.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I make sure to close my eyes and visualize the stage, knowing each shot. With this I think it’s important to stick to the plan, only make makeups as necessary, as if you visualize a reload you should be doing it as visualized, otherwise it always messes with my original plan. 

more recent matches I have stuck with this and it’s worked out for me.

• 1 year later...

In addition to stage memorization, visualization, physical rituals mentioned above, I remind myself why I’m out there and what my expectations are.  I’m there for something besides just having fun.  I’m there because I decided to make shooting part of my journey toward mastering myself, but oh yeah, this really IS fun.  I think about grip consistency from shot to shot.  I remind myself to watch the mag into the magwell on reloads.  I play a quick mental movie of me shooting the stage, put my hand on my gun one last time, assume the start position, and fix my eyes on where my sights are going to manifest in front of the first target for my first shot.  And then I’m ready.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, this is something I've been having trouble with. It really became evident to me at a match last weekend. I have a habit of taping, scoring and resetting right up until I shoot. Then I'll grab a few mags, go over my plan quickly in my head, wait for the timer and watch it all go to s#!t.

A couple of the more experienced shooters gave me some of the same advice posted here. I definitely plan to stop resetting, when I get on deck. I'll try to start focusing on the stage and visualize what I need to do.

I do try to break it down into shooting positions, but one mistake usually causes a cascade. At least it's entertaining. 

I normally have good stage plans and execute them pretty much to my level of ability. I've forgotten a target once or twice. But this weekend I had my worst stage ever. I was the first shooter on our first stage at 8am on day two of our match. I had a plan and had run it through my mind many times. 

At the start I shot the first few targets but didn't turn to shoot two more targets that were visible from that position. Instead I moved to the second position and shot those targets. Moving laterally to the right I forgot another target. Plus usually at some point I'm aware that I didn't shoot my plan but I didn't notice until I saw the first fresh target with 0 holes in it. Followed by a couple more. 6 misses, 3 procedurals, zeroed the stage.  Completely brain dead on that one.  The rest of the match went completely fine. To top it off at chrono I just made pf it at exactly 165. Usually 175-177.

Under “make ready” it doesn't really matter to me, at that point im ready to go. If its a speed shoot I’ll practice draw along with a reload to load the gun but that’s really only for classifier. Before all that though I need to be able close my eyes and visualize every target and my stage program, so I can execute without hesitation.