Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pre-Stage Ritual for Mental Focus

anonymouscuban

On 10/10/2023 at 10:21 AM, generjoe said:

Thanks all, this is something I've been having trouble with. It really became evident to me at a match last weekend. I have a habit of taping, scoring and resetting right up until I shoot. Then I'll grab a few mags, go over my plan quickly in my head, wait for the timer and watch it all go to s#!t.

A couple of the more experienced shooters gave me some of the same advice posted here. I definitely plan to stop resetting, when I get on deck. I'll try to start focusing on the stage and visualize what I need to do.

I do try to break it down into shooting positions, but one mistake usually causes a cascade. At least it's entertaining. 

Yeah you definitely want to grab some time before shooting to make sure you're totally prepared both gear-wise and mentally. Sometimes I'm the only one running the timer and if I have to run the timer up to my stage run everybody is gonna have to wait for a few minutes while I get myself together and walk the stage one more time. I'm happy to work hard but I'm there to do well.