Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bowling Pin Side Match

If one was thinking about having a Bowling Pin side match, just how and when would you have it? In the middle of or at the end of the end of the main match? Also how would you run divisions or just heads up, fastest time or use points to see who wins. Allow just iron sights or optics also?  Would having a side match like this make you more inclined to sign up and shoot a larger, normal 8-9 stage revolver match? Or would anything like that even matter to make you want to shoot a match?

run 3 divisions,, Major and minor revolver

Major is 5 pins front of table, Minor 8 pins back of table. revolver 5 pins back.

Run a 15 second par time. Score is on last shot fired, plus 10 second penalty for any pin left on table standing , rolling or otherwise at the 15 second buzzer.

Not to be "Johnny Raincloud" but you will have to give some thought to your pin table.

Most are steel plate because the rounds fired (especially at pins lying down!) will tear up plywood and eventually ruin the spots to place pins. They simply won't stand up at some point because of the divots. Tables are usually 4' x 8'. Big sheet of steel! Steel is best 3/8" or 1/2"also.

Pins are pretty easy to get. Normally free as they are NG for the alley to use.

We marked our table with 5 spots across, 3 rows. 1 ft from front (44 cal and above), 2 ft from front (above .38 and .40), and 1 ft from back (rimfire).

And yes, when word gets out Somebody will show up with a .55!

Have fun with it! It is the best in action shooting and what got me into the sport about 35 or 36 years ago!!!

The above is good concerning times, rules, divisions, etc.

As a disclaimer to my original post, what I am trying to do is see what I can offer to get more people to sign up and come and shoot the Revolver Classic in Mesquite, NV in March.  And I am wondering if it will be worth the extra effort to set up and try and run a side match like pin shooting to garner more attendance to the match. We are already shooting two days, with an 8 stage official Steel Challenge match on Friday the 13th and then an 8 stage Revolver match the next day which is the main match. We tried last year with the steel challenge on Sunday and did not have a lot of participation with the reason being stated that they need to drive/fly back on Sunday. We have also had the main match on Saturday and a man on man shoot-off on Sunday, again with limited success in prior years.

So I'm just trying to solicit some other possible things to try and get more wheelguns here for the Main Match.

Bowling pins can be great fun, and a great challenge. But then, an 8 stage match can be plenty for a day. Anyway, I remember times when I was pretty beat after an 8 stage IPSC match.

How do you reckon the timing? Are you 100% sure you have time to run a Pin match, in addition to the main or SC match? We calculate conservatively that we can do an 8 or 9 stage IPSC match in a day, even if there's some problems. Usually, there's no major issues - so we finish earlier than the worst case plan.

I like pins and for me its the only thing I shoot as its the only thing local.
We use plywood without issue,, 4X8,,    Lets see 9 matches, figure  16 ish strings per match,,, So they survived 144 strings,,,
Oh we set up 7 tables in a row, So seven people to line all go hot,, RO goes down the line to each shooter.

But really you have 16 stages over 2 days, I seriously dont see how adding a side match would bring in any additional matches,,,

I mean who out there is looking at a match flier with 2 days, 16 stages,, and saying dang, I aint going to that one, If only there was a side match.

The Pig Roast isn't a bad idea.... If people come for two days, you might as well have something for them to do in the evening of the first day.

I've only gone to one day matches, so far. Even there, the possibility to get hot lunch is appreciated.

A Man on Man is  great way to increase interest, This is one of the  shooting sports where the Revolver  is equal to any other handgun. I would recommend a J Ladder elimination . Andy and I should be down next week, we can discuss further.

As this is my local iCore location, I haven't seen a roast pig yet, but I'd have to say the food has always been excellent and they always put on a great match.  Mark,  As long as the wife isn't having surgery again, I'll be down this year.  I can't convince her to shoot a Revo yet, but if there's a pin match, she might be interested in shooting her glock.  maybe convince the resorts to allow us all late check-outs on Sunday... would go a long way to making it easier to stay for the Sunday match.  Especially with bringing the baby, it would be very helpful.  I'm with 357 on the Ladder, but anything you do will be fun!  My recommendation would be 5 pins at the front of the table, 8 shots max in guns. Pin must clear the table,  no divisions (no pcc)

Well a few years ago we had two whole pigs cooked  for lunch at the Icarus II match. BUT we have always had great hot lunches at our bigger matches. This year Bruce is thinking Philly Steak sandwiches on Friday and Brats and smoked Brisket for Saturday. We can't do anything about checkout times as that is corporate. If we do the pin shoot it will be on the same day as the main match with more than likely the same guns you are using in the match and would take place after the match when I am syncing the tablets and seeing who won the main match. Nothing is scheduled for Sunday to allow for travel back home as some have always said why they couldn't stay. Now on the Friday the 13th Steel Challenge match will have all 13 divisions available, with shooters allowed to shoot two different divisions if they want.

I shot a lot of sporting clays shotgun tournaments. At a big tournament (match) we'll typically have a hundred bird Prelim on Friday, a two hundred bird main event on Saturday/Sunday, as well as a fifty bird pump gun, SxS, .410, 20ga, and 28ga events.

None of the guys I shoot with are going anywhere to only pull the trigger 200 times.

The really big tournaments include a FITASC (international sporting clays) tournament too.

An average tournament will provide you the opportunity to shoot 700-800 shells.

Edited by ysrracer

On 1/2/2020 at 9:36 AM, mchapman said:

As a disclaimer to my original post, what I am trying to do is see what I can offer to get more people to sign up and come and shoot the Revolver Classic in Mesquite, NV in March.  And I am wondering if it will be worth the extra effort to set up and try and run a side match like pin shooting to garner more attendance to the match. We are already shooting two days, with an 8 stage official Steel Challenge match on Friday the 13th and then an 8 stage Revolver match the next day which is the main match. We tried last year with the steel challenge on Sunday and did not have a lot of participation with the reason being stated that they need to drive/fly back on Sunday. We have also had the main match on Saturday and a man on man shoot-off on Sunday, again with limited success in prior years.

So I'm just trying to solicit some other possible things to try and get more wheelguns here for the Main Match.

Why not set up a pin match (straight time) on Friday, as well as a falling plate match.

Give people the opportunity to pull the trigger. If you build it, they will come.

Edited by ysrracer