FTP Alpha3 optic experiences

vgdvc

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 11:44 AM, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

1. No wasted illumination levels for night use. That means you get more usable levels for what most of us do which is competition shooting shooting outdoors.

I don't understand this. You make it sound like there are X number of brightness levels and if you use 2 of them for "low light" settings, then you would have 2 less settings available for higher brightness levels. Isn't it just programming?

If you have 10 (or however many) brightness levels, couldn't you have the programming changed to have 12, with 2 lower ones on the bottom end of the range?

My reason for asking about this is all the reviews that talk about the lowest brightness being borderline still too bright. 

Sometimes, my only option for practice is going to an indoor range that is not what I would call brightly lit. Based on the reviews, it sounds like even the lowest brightness setting on the A3 would be bright enough to have some bloom in that situation. 

I have some (only a little) astigmatism. When I shoot with a dot that is too bright, the star effect creates problems for me.

Also, a lower brightness setting can be useful when zeroing the gun or using it for other slow-fire shooting where you're trying to be precise.

So, why tout "no low brightness levels" as an advantage? What is the downside to having one or two lower brightness options (than you currently have) at the bottom end of the range? It could be a downside if you only had one button and had to cycle through them all to get to the one you want - but that's not what you have.

Even if you cannot add 2 more levels for some reason, if you have 10 now, would it really cause issues if you redistributed them to only 8 or 9 levels - still with the same max - and used 1 or 2 for levels that would work on an indoor range that is not brightly lit, for people attempting to zero their gun?

10 minutes ago, StuartV said:

I don't understand this. You make it sound like there are X number of brightness levels and if you use 2 of them for "low light" settings, then you would have 2 less settings available for higher brightness levels. Isn't it just programming?

If you have 10 (or however many) brightness levels, couldn't you have the programming changed to have 12, with 2 lower ones on the bottom end of the range?

My reason for asking about this is all the reviews that talk about the lowest brightness being borderline still too bright. 

Sometimes, my only option for practice is going to an indoor range that is not what I would call brightly lit. Based on the reviews, it sounds like even the lowest brightness setting on the A3 would be bright enough to have some bloom in that situation. 

The programming board on the optics limits the number of illumination levels you can have. When people comment about the lowest level being brighter than they would like, they are referring to the fact that they want to be able to see through the dot. That is a personal preference and not way you actually should be shooting a red dot optic. The dot does not starburst or bloom at low levels or even at high levels. The most common complaint of competition shooters is that dots are not bright enough under demanding sun conditions, the dot is too small and the dot sunbursts or is not circle when when turned up. We addressed all those issues in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to try one of these first hand recently.  The window size is fantastic.  The refresh rate of the dot seemed to make it look scattered while firing rather than the dot streaking.  Is this normal?

Also, is a dimensional print of the footprint available?

13 hours ago, Michael303 said:

I got to try one of these first hand recently.  The window size is fantastic.  The refresh rate of the dot seemed to make it look scattered while firing rather than the dot streaking.  Is this normal?

Also, is a dimensional print of the footprint available?

I believe different people see different things when it comes to the dots. I don't personally see any scattered look when I track the dot and we have a lot of high level shooters that have said the same thing. We have had a small number of people that have commented they see what you are describing.  I filmed the dot in 240 FPS and didn't see it either. The dot also appears to be perfectly round to most people but some people don't see any dots as round due to astigmatism etc.

Be sure to change the battery as well. When the batteries get low, the dot will strobe.

If you email us at sales@fasttoys.net I can send you a dimensional drawing.

Edited by FTP_Shooting_Sports

• 2 weeks later...

I received my FTP Alpha 3 10 MOA optic this afternoon. This thread is where I really learned about the FTP optics, so I figured I'd post and say thank you for all the info shared in here.

My new FTP is replacing the Holosun 8 MOA donut (407CO) on my pistol I use for USPSA CO.

If anyone is curious, this is a pic of them side by side.

On the left is the 8 MOA Holosun. On the right, the 10 MOA FTP. The Holosun donut looks bigger than the FTP dot, to me. I emailed with Phil and he said there is no industry standard for the red dots to compare one to another. So, I guess it can't be taken as surprising that a Holosun "8 MOA" is bigger than the FTP "10 MOA".

I like the bigger donut on the Holosun better. But, I like the bigger window on the FTP better. Hopefully, the bigger window will help my speed more than a slightly bigger dot has been.

In the picture, the FTP is set to its lowest brightness setting. The Holosun is turned down to where it appears (to my eyes) to be just slightly dimmer than the FTP. It could go much dimmer (and much brighter, of course), but I was trying to make them equal for this picture. In fact, I shot a USPSA match on Saturday and it was blazing out. I turned up the Holosun until it was easy for me to see. I don't know if it was at Max or not. I didn't try to turn it up higher, as it was plenty bright enough for me. I cannot say that it was so bright it had any "bloom", though. As big as it is, I'm not sure I need that anyway.

It's kinda funny how sharp the donut and dot look to me in that picture (which is to say both look reasonably sharp in the picture). I have a little astigmatism. In real life, the Holosun donut looks like a donut to me, but the FTP dot looks more like a scratch, not a round dot. Kinda like if you tried to make a dot with a medium point pen, using an unsteady hand. I assume that's my astigmatism - especially after looking at the picture.

Ignore how dirty the Holosun is. I haven't cleaned my pistol or optic yet since my match the other day.

DOTs-sm2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Friday (tomorrow) by 5:00 CST is cutoff for our next shipment to the U.S. Any orders placed before this time will arrive at your door by Friday of next week.

We ran some stats yesterday and were extremely happy that 65 % of optics customers are repeat customers (purchase a 2nd unit after receiving the first)! We are so thankful that people are loving our optic!

A3 Match Special!

Come find us at the Area 3 Championship match in Nebraska and you can check out the Alpha 3 red dot and get a special match special coupon code!

We will be in Squad 51. See you there!

For those of you not at the match, you can send an email to sales@fasttoys.net and we can give you the coupon code (valid until Monday only).

The cutoff for our next U.S shipment if Friday August 19th at 5:00 CST. Any shipments place before then will be shipped on Monday morning and arrive before the end of the week.

Can you use coupon code = BEDEAL to get 15.00 off your optic and free shipping within the continental U.S!

• 2 weeks later...