Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTP Alpha3 optic experiences

vgdvc

Since a 2011 can't be used in production, I am not sure why would you want to slide mount it instead of going with a frame mount? The frame mount can be removed easily and there are tons of mounts available. It is beneficial to the life of the optic and also keeps the optic in a static location. 

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just got my new Alpha 3 amd noticed a really awesome update on them. The battery tray has two screws that hold it in unlike the old version. I really really like this. On my older ones they would start to pop out. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

FTP Optics Christmas Sale!

Now until December 27th, you can get 30.00 off your FTP Alpha 3 red dot and free shipping!

Use coupon code = HOHOHO at checkout

Discover why the majority of competitors that buy our red dots purchase a second one after trying them out!

Order on our web site:  https://fasttoys.net/shop/FTP-Optics-Alpha-3-Red-Dot-Reflex-Sight/

Awesome! I have 5 and will order another. Love these things!

On 12/10/2022 at 10:24 AM, Bakerjd said:

Just got my new Alpha 3 amd noticed a really awesome update on them. The battery tray has two screws that hold it in unlike the old version. I really really like this. On my older ones they would start to pop out. 

Id be curious to hear if anything else changed with that revision. Mainly the flicker effect that the dot has at medium brightness.

On 12/10/2022 at 10:24 AM, Bakerjd said:

We implemented this change to resolve a small percentage of optics that suffered the battery tray retaining clips breaking :)

On 12/22/2022 at 2:01 PM, JM_ said:

Id be curious to hear if anything else changed with that revision. Mainly the flicker effect that the dot has at medium brightness.

We were not able to replicate any flickering issues even when testing the topics with ultra slow motion video.

19 hours ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

We were not able to replicate any flickering issues even when testing the topics with ultra slow motion video.

Doesn't require any special technology to show it. Romeo 3xl on top (solid straight line) and cmore rts2 (dotted lines) on bottom. The rts2 does the same thing as the alpha3. All three optics are made in the same factory and are obviously using different emitter/circuit board tech with the 3xl having no flicker and better battery life.

B02E86A0-B8FD-46C0-B283-B54B1186A258.thumb.jpeg.63686934377b304a34c963cbe859afc4.jpegF3CB47EE-7282-46F9-AD6A-BCD0518B8B0F.thumb.jpeg.3c6959044b8a15de47b0dc964e6d376b.jpeg

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

Doesn't require any special technology to show it. Romeo 3xl on top (solid straight line) and cmore rts2 (dotted lines) on bottom. The rts2 does the same thing as the alpha3. All three optics are made in the same factory and are obviously using different emitter/circuit board tech with the 3xl having no flicker and better battery life.

B02E86A0-B8FD-46C0-B283-B54B1186A258.thumb.jpeg.63686934377b304a34c963cbe859afc4.jpegF3CB47EE-7282-46F9-AD6A-BCD0518B8B0F.thumb.jpeg.3c6959044b8a15de47b0dc964e6d376b.jpeg

Is this just from taking a picture? I’ve never seen a dot look like a straight line or a line of dots before…. 

1 hour ago, Vanniek71 said:

Is this just from taking a picture? I’ve never seen a dot look like a straight line or a line of dots before…. 

I was rapidly moving the optic back and forth to show this effect.

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

If you change brightness it sometimes changes the refresh rate.

I did have it blinking once on me and then died on a stage, but that was due to battery dying. I hadn’t realized the shorter battery life on these. I just change the battery more often now

42 minutes ago, Posvar said:

The first time I had a battery die on one it would blink every time I shot a round. Was not sure what it was but then quickly realized the battery was about to die. 

Same, except mine was on a Texas star lol made it rough 

54 minutes ago, Posvar said:

The first time I had a battery die on one it would blink every time I shot a round. Was not sure what it was but then quickly realized the battery was about to die. 

I was checking zero for the gator classic this year and had this happen.   I thought the dot might be crapping out on me.  I replaced the battery and it stopped but man was I nervous heading to the gator.  

20 minutes ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

I was checking zero for the gator classic this year and had this happen.   I thought the dot might be crapping out on me.  I replaced the battery and it stopped but man was I nervous heading to the gator.  

Way to sort it out!

If the dot has a pulsing frequency higher than 60hz then the human eye can't "Observe" it flickering. Can you catch this On/Off behavior in an electronically captured image (Picture/Video)? Absolutely.

Many Red Dot manufactures purposefully flicker the LED dot off/on (Above 60hz) to reduce battery consumption. This is actually how they get the small 2032 style batteries to last tens of thousands of hours.

A human observable flickering dot can be due to marginal battery connectivity, component solder failures on the Circuit Board, or mechanical failure within the sight itself. I have also observed a "Flickering" dot scenario while shooting when my scope mount was cracked.

Lastly I want to point out that NOTHING lasts forever and $hit happens. If you shoot a lot, stuff will break. I always have 2 - 3 spare Red Dots on hand regardless of what brand or model I prefer to use. This is the cost of competing. The expense of 2 - 3 Red Dot sights is chump change in comparison to the grand total expenses the practical shooting sports costs.