Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What 1050 "Upgrades" are worth it?

I have a 650 that has pretty much most of the upgrades out there and it runs extremely smooth.  I just got a hell of a deal on a 1050 and I'm looking at the upgrades that are out there, and am wondering which if any are worth it...  I see several from level10 better spring, stronger index pawl, delrin or Teflon index detent, shell plate washer (roller) CNC toolhead vs normal one, there's a lot of others that are listed on immortobot.com.  I appreciate your thoughts and input...

Well, I will disagree... while there are some gimmicky upgrades out there, there are also some pretty dang useful ones...

From Level 10, the toolhead spring upgrade, primer catcher upgrade, and carrier cap upgrade are worth the coin imo.

Better lighting is always a plus, I like Reloading Innovations's Starlight system (https://reloadinginnovations.com/products/dillon-1050-press-lighting-kit), but there are some less costly options as well like Inline Fabrication, Double Alpha, etc.

Speaking of, Inline Fabrication has some great erognomic roller handles and mounting/storage solutions as well...

This is all assuming you are manually indexing.  Once you go automated, there are other upgrades that are pretty universally recommended also :).

Here's a thread on the Starlight system... best 1050 lighting on the market imo.

Edited by 78Staff

When your Toolhead spring wears out I recommend the spring setup from level 10. My spring on my 1050 wore out about six months after I got it, so I upgraded it with the level ten and I like it I believe the level ten spring will last for years in stead of months.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats that do differently? 

Mine is stock with a primer catcher tube, bullet feeder and autodrive. The spring got replaced with a poly rod from somewhere too. 

I'd like one of those output tubes so I don't have to empty it so often when processing brass. 

Level 10 return spring and cup, for sure! The monet your toolhead/handle won’t stay fully raised? Buy those. A lifetime of positive spring pressure afterward. The spring is stronger and much less compressed when fully down, so it isn’t worked to death like Dillon’s.

Put a light on it. Call it good.

Level 10 return spring and cup, for sure! The moment your toolhead/handle won’t stay fully raised? Buy those. A lifetime of positive spring pressure afterward. The spring is stronger and much less compressed when fully down, so it isn’t worked to death like Dillon’s.

Put a light on it too.Call it good.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

25 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Level 10 return spring and cup, for sure! The moment your toolhead/handle won’t stay fully raised? Buy those. A lifetime of positive spring pressure afterward. The spring is stronger and much less compressed when fully down, so it isn’t worked to death like Dillon’s.

Put a light on it too.Call it good.

I am going to go against the grain here and say pick up a Guide Pin Bushing and ditch the spring.

Definitely second on the reloading innovation light kit. They're awesome and trow a ton of light at the work space ie shell plate.

Finally I would recommend an upgrade shell plate from TNT. IMO they higher quality than the FFB. When running rifle they greatly reduce wobble.

On 12/3/2019 at 5:35 PM, Laxman2809 said:

Here is also a great reddit post from a brass processor that shares his upgrades. My recommendation very closely mimic this.

Some of that stuff is questionable unless you're the type that just likes to spend money.  Like the primer chute for $19?  You can take a piece of 5.56 brass and cut the bottom off and it does the same thing.  For free.

29 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Some of that stuff is questionable unless you're the type that just likes to spend money.  Like the primer chute for $19?  You can take a piece of 5.56 brass and cut the bottom off and it does the same thing.  For free.

For sure a lot of mods that you can cobble together, but some might be looking to support a product and great company.