Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Round counter

Years ago I built a digital one & installed on my 650. It was activated each time the shellplate was fully at bottom of travel using a roller microswitch.

It was less accurate than guesstimating from primer boxes: jams and discarded rounds threw the count off.

If you do this, install the switch or infrared LED in the discharge chute, so that it only counts finished rounds.

There is a $10 eBay digital counter that uses a magnet and a hall sensor.   The sensor could be shimmed into the center hole of the toolhead and the magnet simply placed on the shellplate bolt.  It would count strokes, but that is good enough. 

Here is a simple/temporary test installation of one on my Rollsizer. 

Edited by chevrofreak

On 11/28/2019 at 1:30 PM, Dirtchevy841 said:

Buddy built us a infrared it sensor counter mounting to the frame with just a simply led screen counter. All parts can be found on eBay. Pretty easy setup and reliable. Put a click button to reset, go back or foward on the red count 

I would like to see more about this . Could you get any pictures or likes?

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2019 at 10:42 AM, Bmans45 said:

I would like to see more about this . Could you get any pictures or likes?

Could you post a pic or pm with what you did? Thank you. I was looking into doing infared on the discharge chute so it would count completed rounds only

Armanov makes a mechanical one that I've been eyeballing for a while.  Seems like a good solid piece.  Counts at the end of every stroke.

Alternatively, I just use my primer alarm.  When it goes off, I've loaded about 90 rounds.

I have an arduino nano style MCU board, LCD, and IR breakbeam sensor I've been meaning to wire up and program to install on the output chute of my 650, but just haven't made the time to get around to it. Less than $10 in parts from china.

2 hours ago, thormx538 said:

I have an arduino nano style MCU board, LCD, and IR breakbeam sensor I've been meaning to wire up and program to install on the output chute of my 650, but just haven't made the time to get around to it. Less than $10 in parts from china.

Do you have a design for this? I like the idea of counting completed rounds instead of individual pulls.

Just now, admcd said:

Do you have a design for this? I like the idea of counting completed rounds instead of individual pulls.

Naw not really. I'm an EE so I was just going to wing it haha. But basically use the analog inputs of the Arduino to run the IR break beam sensor and increment a counter in code, and then use the I2C bus to display that data on the LCD screen. Shouldn't be much code at all since there are macros for most things in the Arduino world. The Arduino already has a reset button so as long your code sets the initial value to 0 for the counter you won't need any sort of external buttons.

Whenever I get around to doing it I can post a schematic and the code. 

Just now, thormx538 said:

Naw not really. I'm an EE so I was just going to wing it haha. But basically use the analog inputs of the Arduino to run the IR break beam sensor and increment a counter in code, and then use the I2C bus to display that data on the LCD screen. Shouldn't be much code at all since there are macros for most things in the Arduino world. The Arduino already has a reset button so as long your code sets the initial value to 0 for the counter you won't need any sort of external buttons.

Whenever I get around to doing it I can post a schematic and the code. 

That would be awesome!  I'm capable of following the directions but I don't think I could code or build it from scratch myself! Thanks!