Recommend me a new powder-- 9 minor

Truckin_Thumper

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/19/2019 at 7:52 PM, Furrly said:

If you can manage the cost, there is nothing like N320 

the cost is really not bad, still the cheapest part of reloading ... the last time I price checked Win231 ($87, 4#) vs N320 ($117, 4#)

equivalent $0.009 per bullet using Win 231

or $0.013 per bullet using N320

so $0.004 more...

I have been having good luck with win 244. Meters well, has good single digit numbers even when loaded below starting weights, accurate with several bullet weights. WSF and sport pistol are also good to go. Have seen the temp sensitivity of the WSF with my 160 gr RN. Loaded 3.2 in the summer and was getting around 850. Was going to use them in winter and the brass was showing pressure signs so backed it down to 3 grs and that helped. Shot my chrono so waiting to get another one.

Edited by Joedirt199

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Titegroup in both 9mm and 45acp for a couple years.  I like it - very efficient - doesn't take a lot of powder to make PF.  Downside is that it's A. Dirty and B. Hot (Load wise and temp wise). My barrel is frequently hot to the touch after a long stage.  Makes unload and show clear exciting sometimes.

I take EXTREME care using it in my handloads - It's dead easy to double charge and have a very bad day.

Plated are the cleanest.  Closed back(no lead exposed), and no potential gas cutting issues like coated.  Whatever is left in the gun is from the powder.  Even Autocomp @ 5.6 - 5.8g is very clean behind a plated 124.  Cleaner than my usual minor load of 3.8g Sport Pistol behind a 125g coated Precision, and the Sport Pistol load is in its sweet pressure spot and inherently cleaner.  

I have some WAC I need to use up & been looking for a carry optic load for practice rounds. How hot would you say this loaf is at 5.6-5.8 gr? Hotter than Winchester White Box.

Trying to see if it’s worth trying to use up the powder. Thanks.

22 hours ago, KellyB said:

I have some WAC I need to use up & been looking for a carry optic load for practice rounds. How hot would you say this loaf is at 5.6-5.8 gr? Hotter than Winchester White Box.

Trying to see if it’s worth trying to use up the powder. Thanks.

I'm running it in my P09 with a small comp.  Still experimenting with it really along with a couple other powders in addition to Sport Pistol to see where the gun shoots the flatest with good accuracy.  I can tell you it makes pretty accurate loads, but I never shot any out of my non-comped guns.  I'd estimate it's hotter than white box, somewhere between there and +P.   Being you have it try it.  Might be OK for practice especially in a steel gun.