Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend me a new powder-- 9 minor

Truckin_Thumper

I have been loading major using AutoComp. 
I am now shooting carry optics and running minor and using AC as I had a bunch of it. Now its almost out and was looking to see what powder could replace this. 

If I can use less powder on my loads, thats perfect, as long as it feels the same. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Truckin_Thumper said:

I am just as confused as the beginning of the thread....LOL 

But it looks like Sport Pistol is in the lead 

Well you asked a question to which there are about 50 different right answers. The fact that so many different choices work well should tell you something. 

look at a burn rate chart  all of these are in roughly the same area, anything from Unique or faster would be fine,,, some are cheaper, some are cleaner, all will get you through a match and not amount to diddly in difference on the score sheet.

1 hour ago, Truckin_Thumper said:

I am just as confused as the beginning of the thread....LOL 

But it looks like Sport Pistol is in the lead 

Sport Pistol is like N320, which about a bazillion people use for 9mm and 40.  It burn clean and cool, costs way less and isn't so fast you risk a caboom with light bullets.  American Select, Solo 1000 and e3 work well also.  e3 will require lower charge weights than the other three.  I have very little AS left.  I'm hording my remaining Solo 1000 for 45ACP major. 

Until recently, I used e3 for all things minor, including my 45 bullseye load.  I started using the SP for 9mm minor in my compensated 1911 steel challenge gun.  It make just enough gas to work the poppels (but not the comp) and it shoots soft and flat.  I like it, especially with the coated bullets I'm required to use at one range.