Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend me a new powder-- 9 minor

Truckin_Thumper

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using Shooters World Clean Shot in 9 minor and 40s&w. Clean Shot is very similar to Titegroup in burn rate but much cleaner. I'm also using Shooters World Major Pistol in my 9mm major loads, this one is a lot like  AA#7. 9mm in both major and minor im useing a 124 grain bullet and 40 I'm using a 200 grain bullet and I'm going to try 165s.

Another vote for sport pistol so long as you can find it reliably. It's pretty cheap, cool burning, easy metering, consistent velocities, and makes some very soft loads. Generally speaking it burns pretty clean though I tend to load fairly light (9mm 135 blue bullet TC at 128-135 PF depending on which barrel it's coming out of) where it's a little sootier but they are very soft and consistent loads.

Shooters world clean shot is my go to now for 9 and 40. It’s awesome, super clean, similar to n320 in charge weight for velocity and way cheaper than n320. It also meters amazing through the Dillon powder measure as well. 

• 4 weeks later...

There are soooo many good to excellent powders available, that I'm not surprised you got a ton of responses and recommendations. So I might as well add another one to consider: CFE-Pistol.

IMO, it performs as well as the more expensive powders, but at a lower price point. It is also very consistent through your powder measure. When I sit down to start a reloading session, I throw five charges that go right back into the hopper. I then throw ten more, measuring each one. With CFE, I'll usually get five charges that are right on, three charges that are less than .1gr off, and two charges that are right at .1 gr off. Pretty darn consistent.

If you happen to be shooting jacketed bullets, the CFE part of the name really is effective. I thought it was a marketing gimmick, but it really does help reduce/eliminate copper fouling. I don't shoot copper jacketed bullets anymore, but I still use CFE, as it really is a fantastic powder.

Just another option to consider. :)

On 11/10/2019 at 2:17 AM, Slide4949 said:

N320 is my favorite with 147 precision bullet

Im using 185 for my 40sw with this bullets and i was planning to get 147 for my 9mm..

Question would be, why use 147 precision led..vs fmj rmr 147fp

For $6 diff per 1000 rounds?

6 hours ago, perttime said:

FMJ bullets tend to need more powder to get the same velocity as lead, coated, or plated. That means more or different recoil. Some are able to feel the difference.

But also barrel also intent to get dirty quicker?

18 hours ago, Bjay said:

But also barrel also intent to get dirty quicker?

When I was using lead bullets, I got lead in the barrel and a lot of soot from the lubricants/waxes that were used with the lead.

With good quality plated bullets, I just get some soot - which is a matter of powder selection and pressures. No different from jacketed. I should really try a faster powder in .45 and a little more powder for more pressure in .357.

I have no idea about coated bullets.

Plated are the cleanest.  Closed back(no lead exposed), and no potential gas cutting issues like coated.  Whatever is left in the gun is from the powder.  Even Autocomp @ 5.6 - 5.8g is very clean behind a plated 124.  Cleaner than my usual minor load of 3.8g Sport Pistol behind a 125g coated Precision, and the Sport Pistol load is in its sweet pressure spot and inherently cleaner.  

N320 is my first choice for all styles of Bullets. 

Titegroup with everything except coated Bullets Is my second choice

Win 231 / HP-38 for all styles of bullets is my third choice

Those are my 3 favorites, but N320 is my first choice