• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

The obvious questions:

reliability?

cleaning?

How does the alien compare to the(great) Phoenix?

Still in doubt choosing Alien (they are available now in Europe) or Redback... Thanks a lot!

Reliability has been great, no issues there.

Cleaning is different but not really a problem, you need to use their special tool to clean the carbon from gas delay system.  Its not a big deal, I probably clean it more than my redback, I should just test to failure once.

Honestly, I will likely compete with Redback this year, I think it just fits me better.  In all honesty I need the 'Retro' to arrive before a real comparison can take place.  At this point without the retro kit, my alien isn't IPSC legal for PO.  I ordered the retro kit almost a year ago and I still don't have it.  In all honesty, I don't think this is manufacturer issue, I think it is an importation issue in Canada as the second batch of Aliens is coming in.  I am sure there was a bit of delay from manufacturer as they were trying to get the first 500 aliens shipped to USA, but I know my retro kit is ready and just sitting now. 

4 minutes ago, Zerofade said:

Reliability has been great, no issues there.

Cleaning is different but not really a problem, you need to use their special tool to clean the carbon from gas delay system.  Its not a big deal, I probably clean it more than my redback, I should just test to failure once.

Honestly, I will likely compete with Redback this year, I think it just fits me better.  In all honesty I need the 'Retro' to arrive before a real comparison can take place.  At this point without the retro kit, my alien isn't IPSC legal for PO.  I ordered the retro kit almost a year ago and I still don't have it.  In all honesty, I don't think this is manufacturer issue, I think it is an importation issue in Canada as the second batch of Aliens is coming in.  I am sure there was a bit of delay from manufacturer as they were trying to get the first 500 aliens shipped to USA, but I know my retro kit is ready and just sitting now. 

Thanks. Is recoil softer / do sights return quicker on the Alien compared to Redback??? If not I would opt for the Redback..

Just now, Fasthenk65 said:

Thanks. Is recoil softer / do sights return quicker on the Alien compared to Redback??? If not I would opt for the Redback..

For a quick answer I would say recoil is softer on the Redback.  The alien recoils quicker right now.  However, I shoot 147g from Redback and a hotter 124g from alien.  Admittedly, I can split the Alien faster, 0.12 splits are not that uncommon when I push it, I can split the Redback around .15/.16 (maybe the odd .14).  This may also change when the Alien actually receives the slide ride dot instead of stationary dot.  I feel conflicted because I actually 'wanted' to like the alien more and shoot it, but I am not convinced its actually better.  I wish I was more help, but I am still trying to decide myself.  If I had a match tomorrow, I would take my Redback.

1 hour ago, Zerofade said:

For a quick answer I would say recoil is softer on the Redback.  The alien recoils quicker right now.  However, I shoot 147g from Redback and a hotter 124g from alien.  Admittedly, I can split the Alien faster, 0.12 splits are not that uncommon when I push it, I can split the Redback around .15/.16 (maybe the odd .14).  This may also change when the Alien actually receives the slide ride dot instead of stationary dot.  I feel conflicted because I actually 'wanted' to like the alien more and shoot it, but I am not convinced its actually better.  I wish I was more help, but I am still trying to decide myself.  If I had a match tomorrow, I would take my Redback.

pff I need them both then 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

I got mine last month and it’s well worth the $5000.  The first run of 500 seems to be the better value considering what it comes with.

The standard model is supposed to be $800-$1000 less, but won’t come with the extra top rail and optic or the holster.  Not even sure it will come with two extra magazines.

People are flipping them for huge profits, but I’ll keep mine.  I wouldn’t mind getting a standard model if and when they become available.  Hopefully in different finish schemes.

1 minute ago, Zerofade said:

We have matching pairs!  My Redback is that exact same colour combination too!  Enjoy!

Very cool to hear.  Thanks

Yeah I have all sorts of high end pistol, but the Phoenix is one of my favorites.  I plan on getting a Drake when they finally make it stateside.

Just now, bac1023 said:

Very cool to hear.  Thanks

Yeah I have all sorts of high end pistol, but the Phoenix is one of my favorites.  I plan on getting a Drake when they finally make it stateside.

The drake does look awesome.  You do have good taste, I currently own an Infinity Standard/limited 5.4" pistol, the Alien, and a Phoenix Redback Optic only for Production optic.  I really only shoot with a dot now, so I don't see myself purchasing a Drake, unless it gets added to production list and offered in 9mm, then I would buy one and add a dot!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 8:31 AM, Zerofade said:

I have been shooting my alien more in the off season.  I am still waiting on my retro kit for it, so I don't have big plans to use it in production optics.  I really like the gun and it has run flawless for me.  I do more training with my Phoenix Redback  (and I really like it) so i don't know if I will ever switch to the Alien for competition.  However, the gun works well.  I am happy to answer any questions if you have them.

I shoot with Redback and is amaizing good. One of my friend win silver at Europen Chapionship carried optical. so better stay with Phoenix.

On 1/9/2021 at 10:54 PM, Fasthenk65 said:

You have to be a in top shooter league to exploit these potential difference. Myself I apreciate slower slide cycled who is easier to track the front sight. It should help to find these pistol.s front weight distribution or better to compare them in the muzzle flip.

5 hours ago, Uomu said:

You have to be a in top shooter league to exploit these potential difference. Myself I apreciate slower slide cycled who is easier to track the front sight. It should help to find these pistol.s front weight distribution or better to compare them in the muzzle flip.

agree

also the ammo does a lot (147's easier to track dot then lighter bullets for me..) I feel that if you shoot factory the Alien might be the better choice...

Edited by Fasthenk65

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/8/2021 at 7:05 AM, SiLaHtAr said:

Did anybody shoot major loads with this gun I wonder? I see there is at least one European manufacturer working on a compensator. If it safely shoots major loads, then it may work as a great open gun as well...

Can you specify which European Manufacturer you are talking about?
I have been looking far and wide for a compensator to run this gun in Open.

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2022 at 5:07 PM, Moonraise said:

Can you specify which European Manufacturer you are talking about?
I have been looking far and wide for a compensator to run this gun in Open.

According to the Alien owners FB group, Laugo is making them.  They seem to be selling in only a few places, one of them being this Spanish website

http://casapuntos.com/laugo-arms/4218-freno-de-boca-laugo-alien.html

9 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Tnx friend. I stopped reloading for pistol now I shoot a lot of PCC and couldn't resist buying this gun 🙂 and I love it... praying it keeps healthy 🙂

👍

Enjoy it. It is truly a unique toy with many benefits. Just keep it always clean and if you use it for competitions make sure you have extra pistons, which keep a  minor factor. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve shot the iron, non reciprocating and retro. 

The retro is the better shooting pistol. It is flatter and returns to zero better than the original non reciprocating. I expected the opposite results. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...