Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alien pistol

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are listed for $5k in the US.  I have both SVI and Alien, I don't know where they would ever compete against each other though, two different divisions.  I find it funny that people are happy to spend $6000+ on a 2011, but complain about the price of the Alien.  I have a hard time seeing the difference.  At $5k the alien ships with several magazines, two slides, a red dot, a holster, cleaning supplies, and a carrying case.  

$5k is a lot for a pistol many people have said has not much less muzzle flip than a CZ Shadow 2 and has problems with getting hot.

It's innovative, but... yeah, $5k is a lot.

Will they even be legal in USPSA Production/Carry Optics? If not, what will be the use case for them? They won't outperform open 2011s (much heavier, better triggers, compensators, etc.)

Edited by avastcosmicarena

Why are they selling another 500 signature Aliens at $5000?

What will the regular production run of Aliens cost?

Will the Alien go the way of the Hudson H9 or the Caracal?

Will Laugo Arms ship parts to Lancer or just guns?

As we all know firing pins break,extractors break, ejectors break, so on and so forth.

Though i was hyped about the release of this fantastic new firearm these other thoughts i mention came to mind about

its future in the american market.

26 minutes ago, sweetback said:

What will the regular production run of Aliens cost?

Will the Alien go the way of the Hudson H9 or the Caracal?

Will Laugo Arms ship parts to Lancer or just guns?

As we all know firing pins break,extractors break, ejectors break, so on and so forth.

Though i was hyped about the release of this fantastic new firearm these other thoughts i mention came to mind about

its future in the american market.

I was able to purchase a full spare parts kit in Canada.  The parts kit includes the following:

• x1 recoil stud
  • x1 firing pin
  • x1 firing pin spring
  • x2 pins
  • x1 extractor
  • x1 extractor spring
  • x1 screw

10 hours ago, sweetback said:

Probably still trying to recoup costs and gather up money for higher rates of production... Can use the excuse that it's "new to America still" to justify it.

Considering it took a year after the initial 500 release in Europe, I bet it's going to be quite a while until you can buy one of these outside of that kit.

On 1/16/2020 at 10:50 AM, Zerofade said:

Let me know if you have any questions, I could help answer for you.

Does it allow to attach the optic of your choice, or only the one that came with it? If you wanted to put an SRO or RTS on it, could you do it?

Apparently there's different rails available.

Looks like they've also made them so that a dot can be mounted on the moving part of the slide. That one should make it legal for IPSC Production Optics: http://www.laugoarms.com/ipsc-retro-pdo.html

A somewhat local shop has been advertising the Alien in different packages. The expensive one has irons, dot, all sorts of stuff, and the somewhat more "affordable" ones are more basic.

Edited by perttime

10 hours ago, YVK said:

Does it allow to attach the optic of your choice, or only the one that came with it? If you wanted to put an SRO or RTS on it, could you do it?

It ships with C-More RTS2.  I have seen detailed pictures of the retro mount kit for PO rules.  I have seen that kit mounted with C-More, Leupol DPP, he is just about to try a Trijicon SRO.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:26 AM, avastcosmicarena said:

$5k is a lot for a pistol many people have said has not much less muzzle flip than a CZ Shadow 2 and has problems with getting hot.

It's innovative, but... yeah, $5k is a lot.

Will they even be legal in USPSA Production/Carry Optics? If not, what will be the use case for them? They won't outperform open 2011s (much heavier, better triggers, compensators, etc.)

Curious to know how you can discern the difference between a new Innovative platform and a open pistol?  You have stated that this new Alien pistol will not outperform a 2011? Where exactly do you get your facts from? 

please share! 

On 1/16/2020 at 12:16 PM, Zerofade said:

I think they are listed for $5k in the US.  I have both SVI and Alien, I don't know where they would ever compete against each other though, two different divisions.  I find it funny that people are happy to spend $6000+ on a 2011, but complain about the price of the Alien.  I have a hard time seeing the difference.  At $5k the alien ships with several magazines, two slides, a red dot, a holster, cleaning supplies, and a carrying case.  

It’s extremely interesting many spend far more than 5k on an open pistol but have a problem spending 5k on a new innovative platform. Sure the Alien MSRP will be 5k but the street price will be far lower than 5k. You’re getting a lot of a gun for the money, optic, etc etc for 5k. Most custom built 2011 you get only the pistol for far more than 5k, 7k+ without optics, mags, etc etc 

I’m intrigued by the Alien pistol and it will be a nice contender in the Carry Optics division, of course without the magwell installed! Also, a nice contender in the Limited division even though you’re limited to 9mm minor 🙄🤦‍♂️

4 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Curious to know how you can discern the difference between a new Innovative platform and a open pistol?  You have stated that this new Alien pistol will not outperform a 2011? Where exactly do you get your facts from? 

please share! 

Just look at the videos online.

- It still has muzzle flip.
- There is no threaded or compensated barrel available for it yet. (This will probably change... but has it even been tested with major loads at all? who knows?)
- It's lighter than most steel grip 2011s by a good 10-16oz.
- They advertised the trigger as going down to 2.5 lb. at the lowest... Good, but not amazing. About the same as the best striker fired triggers. And how crisp/clean is the break? What design does it even use?

I’m intrigued by the Alien pistol and it will be a nice contender in the Carry Optics division, of course without the magwell installed! Also, a nice contender in the Limited division even though you’re limited to 9mm minor.

How do we know it will be legal in USPSA Carry Optics? Doesn't it have a different trigger mechanism that's actually SAO? I've seen them advertised as a striker fired trigger, but have heard it's actually a quite different design. Do 2,000 of them exist yet?

Also, in IDPA carry optics, they were forced to make a new mount that makes the red dot reciprocate with the slide, because people (rightfully) complained about the fixed optic being an advantage. So, that advantage sort of goes out the window even if it were allowed in USPSA Carry Optics (which I am skeptical of).

Don't get me wrong. I think it's cool and innovative, but I don't expect it to instantly dominate everything. I don't even know where it will be legal to use in USPSA, outside of Limited, where you'd be stuck with minor scoring, and Open, where you're competing with really impressive compensated 2011s with frame mounted optics.

Edited by avastcosmicarena

2 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

It’s too soon to asume what we don’t know. It’s not out yet for anyone to be assuming what we don’t know but only what we see on videos or by listening to others opinion. 

The sad thing that the issue with the pistol platform is only made to compete in the Limited Minor division, which sucks! But let us remember that the platform is European made for IPSC which is a total but almost the same as USPSA game but different game. 

All guns suffer from muzzle flip, even open pistols but some perform differently than others. Some are better made and engineered and that’s why we pay 5k and up for a tool that has a specific purpose. 

But we shouldn’t assume something is not worth it 🤷🏽‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ People will pay regardless of our opinions. At the end it’s not our money is there many and they will spend it as they wish... sometimes is not fair because some of us can’t do the same but that’s life. Life is not fair! 

Just look at the videos online.

- It still has muzzle flip.
- There is no threaded or compensated barrel available for it yet. (This will probably change... but has it even been tested with major loads at all? who knows?)
- It's lighter than most steel grip 2011s by a good 10-16oz.
- They advertised the trigger as going down to 2.5 lb. at the lowest... Good, but not amazing. About the same as the best striker fired triggers. And how crisp/clean is the break? What design does it even use?

How do we know it will be legal in USPSA Carry Optics? Doesn't it have a different trigger mechanism that's actually SAO? I've seen them advertised as a striker fired trigger, but have heard it's actually a quite different design. Do 2,000 of them exist yet?

Also, in IDPA carry optics, they were forced to make a new mount that makes the red dot reciprocate with the slide, because people (rightfully) complained about the fixed optic being an advantage. So, that advantage sort of goes out the window even if it were allowed in USPSA Carry Optics (which I am skeptical of).

Don't get me wrong. I think it's cool and innovative, but I don't expect it to instantly dominate everything. I don't even know where it will be legal to use in USPSA, outside of Limited, where you'd be stuck with minor scoring, and Open, where you're competing with really impressive compensated 2011s with frame mounted optics.

21 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

I was told on Instagram by Lancer that there is also a picatinny top rail in the works. That would be cool for mounting things like the Holosun 510C (very popular on PCCs and open shotguns).

Picatinny rail is mentioned on the Laugo Alien website.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:06 PM, Zerofade said:

It ships with C-More RTS2.  I have seen detailed pictures of the retro mount kit for PO rules.  I have seen that kit mounted with C-More, Leupol DPP, he is just about to try a Trijicon SRO.

Where have you seen that kit?