Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What sort of tools and other supplies make up your match "kit"?

Hotchkiss

I think the most important think I bring is lead off hand wipes.  Lead is nasty stuff and its important to get it off your hands before you grab a snack or after the match.

The longer I've been shooting the more stuff I seem to bring, but looking at the above lists it doesn't seem like I'm alone.  In my range bag goes bottle of lube with some patches, qtips, leatherman type tool, markers, bore snake, couple of paper towels, mag tool, glock tool, glock front site tool, flashlight (for low light matches) extra batteries for ear pro, optic. Extra foam ear plugs, small screwdrivers, picks, sunscreen, bug spray, , lense cleaning wipes, mag reloader.  This year I bought a cart and its probably been my best investment yet.

I like this topic.

Always:
Mag brush
Spare recoil spring
Spare extractor
Spare Fiber (multiple sizes)
Leatherman multi tool
Lighter
Lube ( i use lucas oil )

Roll of pasters

Obviously Gun, Mags, Eye/Ear Pro, and spare gun if possible

Edited by Rosswoodford

• 1 month later...

I take a RealAvid Pistol Multi-Tool to every match, a Leatherman, punches and a bench block. They just live in my bag just in case.

A timer and some extra tape/stapler for when, inevitably, the one my squad is using dies or runs out. We can keep going until someone goes to and gets back from the supplies cabinet.

Small cleaning kit with brushes and patches and some solvent and lube.

I've got an emergency kit in one of the side pouches of my bag with a TQ, combat gauze and the like, too.

• 2 weeks later...

My match kit usually includes some spare recoil springs, a hammer spring. I usually always have spare parts to fix holsters and mag pouches with. I have used them more to fix squad members stuff than anything. I also always bring a couple of various size screw drivers and a rod that is used to clear a squib if that were to happen. I also carry a cleaning kit and some oil and cleaner. 

Yes Yes & Yes

All of the above. Only thing I didn't see mentioned that I keep in the bag is a few zip lock sandwich bags & a clean cloth to make a quick ice compress with. I also always have at least a small ice chest just in case. Hardly ever necessary but nice when you or someone else needs one. 

• 3 weeks later...

If it’s a bigger match or I can’t park close to the bays for quick access to my vehicle, I bring my cart with fully loaded shooting bag. It helps to have one or two large plastic garbage bags in which to place your shooting bag in case it rains. And an extra hand towel or two is often useful.

Being tall I like a higher folding stool. Walmart has one for $16 which works well.

• 3 weeks later...

I try to always have a couple towels with me. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that will go to a match in the middle of summer and spend the whole match trying to use their sleeves to keep the sweat out of their eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like when I started shooting competitions that I took everything but the kitchen sink with me and the more and more that I went I took less and less stuff.  But now I am back on the upswing and I am taking more stuff every time I go to a competition or just the range in general.  I've seriously considered getting a range cart.

Recent additions are chalk/hand grip stuff, wipes (regular wipes to clean off the chalk and Lead-off), and a pair of Mechanix gloves to help with tear down in both indoor/outdoor matches.

A huge add-on was a rolling cart/wagon for the outdoor matches!  But make sure you get the one with the fatter wheels lol.

Recent additions are chalk/hand grip stuff, wipes (regular wipes to clean off the chalk and Lead-off), and a pair of Mechanix gloves to help with tear down in both indoor/outdoor matches.

A huge add-on was a rolling cart/wagon for the outdoor matches!  But make sure you get the one with the fatter wheels lol.

Sounds like you are speaking from experience on the cart wheels, haha. I really do need to get one of those!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...