Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What sort of tools and other supplies make up your match "kit"?

Hotchkiss

In addition to firearms and ammo, eyes/ears, something to drink/eat and possibly extra clothes, what (e.g. lube(s), screwdrivers, etc.) makes up your match "kit"?  Thanks.

Edited by Hotchkiss

I pretty much carry everything but the kitchen sink.  I carry a lot of parts not only for me, but for other shooters as well.  Let me See...Firing pins/firing pin springs, batteries for every optic I have, allen wrenches, a F.A.T. Wrench, 30 piece adapters for the F.A.T. wrench, a hammer, a squib rod, Various pics, punch set, oil, extra fiber optics, lighter, various screws, CED7000 timer, stapler, staples, loc-tite and grip tape to name a few things without looking.  Nothing worse than going to a match and having something break or come loose and not have what you need to fix it.

How many times has someone needed a part and not had it?  I'm trying to fix that.

2 hours ago, stick said:

I pretty much carry everything but the kitchen sink.  I carry a lot of parts not only for me, but for other shooters as well.  Let me See...Firing pins/firing pin springs, batteries for every optic I have, allen wrenches, a F.A.T. Wrench, 30 piece adapters for the F.A.T. wrench, a hammer, a squib rod, Various pics, punch set, oil, extra fiber optics, lighter, various screws, CED7000 timer, stapler, staples, loc-tite and grip tape to name a few things without looking.  Nothing worse than going to a match and having something break or come loose and not have what you need to fix it.

How many times has someone needed a part and not had it?  I'm trying to fix that.

Wow, quite a kit!  Thanks for your comments!

1 hour ago, Beef15 said:

Leatherman MUT, dowel for squibs, small bottle of oil, usually some Glock springs, Dawson fiber, loc-tite, 2032s, band-aids, quikclot, sunscreen, timer and 9Vs, random optic wrenches, optic cleaning wipes.

Thanks for the list.  That Quickclot is amazing stuff, aye?  It doesn't burn too bad...  🤪

Regular USPSA load out is gun, mags, ammo, eyes, ears (both electronic and molded passive), mag brush, brass rod, small hammer, sunscreen, bug spray, grip enhancer, multi caliber cleaning kit, hoppes spray, oil, tool kit, multi tool, pen, sharpie, stapler and staples, batteries (cr1156 (?), cr2032, AA, AAA, 123), timer, individual trauma kit, knee pads, couple bandaids medical tape, Neosporin. Bag of parts (springs, pins, all factory parts I've replaced) All that in my range bag. Belt and allied equip.

Then tripod chair, wagon, umbrella, cooler, gloves, cooling towel, or whatever else weather requires

12 hours ago, broadside72 said:

Regular USPSA load out is gun, mags, ammo, eyes, ears (both electronic and molded passive), mag brush, brass rod, small hammer, sunscreen, bug spray, grip enhancer, multi caliber cleaning kit, hoppes spray, oil, tool kit, multi tool, pen, sharpie, stapler and staples, batteries (cr1156 (?), cr2032, AA, AAA, 123), timer, individual trauma kit, knee pads, couple bandaids medical tape, Neosporin. Bag of parts (springs, pins, all factory parts I've replaced) All that in my range bag. Belt and allied equip.

Then tripod chair, wagon, umbrella, cooler, gloves, cooling towel, or whatever else weather requires

Great input, thanks!  Ever shoot at SLOSA's Hogue Action Pistol Range?

Edited by Hotchkiss

Microfiber towels, extra eye pro, extra ear pro (foam plugs, non-electronic head set), spare batteries for ear pro and timers (when a club's timer dies, I just put one of my own batteries in to save time), liquid chalk, extra magazines in case I get to practice after a match, flashlight because I shoot some night matches,  gun oil.  That's about it.

Edited by GunBugBit

I carry an extra everything almost. A complete gunsmith tool kit, extra mags, holster, ammo, guns.  I want to be able to bounce back from most anything that can happen gun wise, and want to be able to help fellow shooters out if they have issues. I have always been a fan of redundancy in my gear, just in case. 

11 hours ago, broadside72 said:
11 hours ago, Hotchkiss said:
Great input, thanks!  Ever shoot at SLOSA's Hogue Action Pistol Range?

Only the section's State Championship in Sept.

How did you like it?  That's my home range.

9 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

Microfiber towels, extra eye pro, extra ear pro (foam plugs, non-electronic head set), spare batteries for ear pro and timers (when a club's timer dies, I just put one of my own batteries in to save time), liquid chalk, extra magazines in case I get to practice after a match, flashlight because I shoot some night matches,  gun oil.  That's about it.

"Liquid chalk?"  Please 'splain.  Thanks!

I don't carry any spare parts or tools to do anything more than minor adjustment/tightening of external screws.  If a gun goes down in a local match, I just pack it up and go home as I don't drive more than an hour to a local match.

If it's an important match, I take a back up gun.

10 hours ago, Hotchkiss said:

How did you like it?  That's my home range.

Other than being fairly far away for me (4 hours) it was a nice range, especially in the summer where it's not as hot as in the Central Valley. The covers/shade structures and tape/paint boxes are nice touches. 

18 hours ago, broadside72 said:

Other than being fairly far away for me (4 hours) it was a nice range, especially in the summer where it's not as hot as in the Central Valley. The covers/shade structures and tape/paint boxes are nice touches. 

Thanks for the feedback.  I can imagine the SLO/Morro Bay fog must feel great to a valleyite during the summer...  :)

On 11/11/2019 at 6:03 PM, Shootymacshootface said:

I've never used a tourniquet and hope that I never have to, but I would think that a Boresnake in any caliber would work in an emergency. 

You would be horrified to learn how difficult it can be to stop an arterial bleed without the right equipment.

A boresnake is really bad idea.

In my earlier response I talked about redundancy of spare parts, but I also should have mentioned that I take note of issues other shooters have at matches. Today I saw a guy that somehow developed a burr somewhere in his pistol. He was having repeated FTE issues. He searched high and low for some small files or sandpaper. I will now put a little bit of sandpaper in my parts box.