Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Blue Bullets for 9mm major?


chgofirefighter
 Share

Recommended Posts

Anyone using the blue bullets for 9mm major?  If so, care to chime in?  I keep hearing all this negative things about coated bullets, lead fouling, etc etc to only use Precision Delta JHP, etc etc...  The blue bullets are niceply priced too so it makes them even more enticing to purchase... So? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm always amazed by the 'I never had a problem' comments.  I'm sure they are accurate, but I don't know anyone who says that.  They all complain about buildup in the comp.  One friend, a sponsored shooter, use Blue Bullets in his Open gun.  His comp crudded up.  He switched to Montana Gold JHPs and his comp now stays clean.  The only manufacturer who doesn't hem and haw when you try to nail them down about leading and buildup is Egglestom Munitions.  Their pricing is so close to good JHPs, why bother.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Add me to the list of people who never had a problem with blue bullets in open

I’ve run thousands of 115 in my old supercomp at near 1500 fps and never had a problem with leading in the barrel

i got some crud build up in the comp similar to running fmj 

but swabbing the inside with kroil and letting it sit there until the next time I shot it minimized it

it does smoke a little but not enough to notice when I’m shooting

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2019 at 6:47 PM, chgofirefighter said:

 The blue bullets are nicely priced .. So? 

 

You hit the issue right on the head :   If you're willing to keep cleaning your comp,

the BB's are probably fine (if you're satisfied with the accuracy).

 

Us lazy shooters pay a very little more for JHP's and don't have to clean our comps.

 

Your choice -   $$$ or elbow grease.    :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

 

You hit the issue right on the head :   If you're willing to keep cleaning your comp,

the BB's are probably fine (if you're satisfied with the accuracy).

 

Us lazy shooters pay a very little more for JHP's and don't have to clean our comps.

 

Your choice -   $$$ or elbow grease.    :)

You're right there isn't much of a difference between Blue Bullets and Precision Delta's JHP only a few dollars, give or take $6 or $8 so I'm gonna stick with PDJHP and use blue bullets for minor~  :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2019 at 4:08 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

 

You hit the issue right on the head :   If you're willing to keep cleaning your comp,

the BB's are probably fine (if you're satisfied with the accuracy).

 

Us lazy shooters pay a very little more for JHP's and don't have to clean our comps.

 

Your choice -   $$$ or elbow grease.    :)

 

On 10/28/2019 at 10:40 AM, chgofirefighter said:

You're right there isn't much of a difference between Blue Bullets and Precision Delta's JHP only a few dollars, give or take $6 or $8 so I'm gonna stick with PDJHP and use blue bullets for minor~  :) 

Ive never understood the claim that there isn't much of a difference of running coated vs jhp. if you shoot 20,000 rounds a year, using standard discounts (not counting promotional sales) shooting for instance acme bullets vs PD jhp would save you roughly $526 per year. I could think of more than a few things I could spend $520+ every year. OR I could shoot roughly 9000 more bullets every year for the same cost assuming I would shoot 20,000 rounds a year. So if you had a set amount you could spend on practice rounds, would you rather shoot 20,000 or 29000 rounds? 

 

Were only punching holes in paper inside 25 yards for the most part... and again im one of the ones claiming I have yet to experience leading. 

Edited by Shmella
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Shmella said:

 

Ive never understood the claim that there isn't much of a difference of running coated vs jhp. if you shoot 20,000 rounds a year, using standard discounts (not counting promotional sales) shooting for instance acme bullets vs PD jhp would save you roughly $526 per year. I could think of more than a few things I could spend $520+ every year. OR I could shoot roughly 9000 more bullets every year for the same cost assuming I would shoot 20,000 rounds a year. So if you had a set amount you could spend on practice rounds, would you rather shoot 20,000 or 29000 rounds? 

 

Were only punching holes in paper inside 25 yards for the most part... and again im one of the ones claiming I have yet to experience leading. 

 Exactly  My thoughts 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, toothandnail said:

I used to, until I started shooting PCC, the coated bullets are just not accurate enough for me in a PCC. So to keep from having to have an additional setup to load.

 I switched to RMR, not much difference in cost , way more accurate.

Must be using the wrong coated Bullets. Seen every pcc eat up coated Bullets 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

 

You've fired 20,000+ rounds thru a comped pistol and never noticed

that your comp is full of lead ?

Like I said, coated Bullet’s don’t lead or carbon the comp noticeably more than anything else for me. Fmj exposes bases lead the comp way more than any coated I’ve ever shot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have/do run Blue bullets over HS 6 at major with no comp crud issues and just a little more smoke than JHP, because of the good experience with the blues I tried some other "Hi Tech" coated bullets and wow the smoke and lead build up was crazy, like steam train and need to clean out comp every 500 rounds. So I would say that what coated bullet you are using matters, not all coatings are created or applied equally.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I have/do run Blue bullets over HS 6 at major with no comp crud issues and just a little more smoke than JHP, because of the good experience with the blues I tried some other "Hi Tech" coated bullets and wow the smoke and lead build up was crazy, like steam train and need to clean out comp every 500 rounds. So I would say that what coated bullet you are using matters, not all coatings are created or applied equally.

 

I've heard some positives things about Blue Bullets and at the end of the year if you buy a lot of bullets you'll end up saving quite of bit of money.  However, PDJHP are just $6 to $8 more so it's not much of a difference but that $6 to $8 can add up over time~  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

I've heard some positives things about Blue Bullets and at the end of the year if you buy a lot of bullets you'll end up saving quite of bit of money.  However, PDJHP are just $6 to $8 more so it's not much of a difference but that $6 to $8 can add up over time~  

I run the Blues because my Tanfoglio open gun doesn't feed JHP very well so my only real option in round nose is Montana Gold CMJ for about 30% more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

PDJHP are $6 to $8 more 

 

That's $ 0.40 / box of 50    :surprise:

 

If you shoot 26,000 rounds / year, you save a total of $ 200 / year.

 

And every year you're going to spend more than that for gas, entry fees,

repairs on your gun.  Shooting 26,000 rounds / year, you might have to

replace the $4,000 gun every 4 years - which is $1,000/year.

 

No thanks, I'll stick to PD JHP's   :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

 

That's $ 0.40 / box of 50    :surprise:

 

If you shoot 26,000 rounds / year, you save a total of $ 200 / year.

 

And every year you're going to spend more than that for gas, entry fees,

repairs on your gun.  Shooting 26,000 rounds / year, you might have to

replace the $4,000 gun every 4 years - which is $1,000/year.

 

No thanks, I'll stick to PD JHP's   :) 

 Entry fees are $25 or less depending on the match, area matches are more expensive luckily I don’t spend money on gas since I drive an electric car 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for the thread drift but Precision Delta JHPs have been mentioned and recommended a few times in this thread so I'd like to get some thoughts about them. 

 

I have a fair bit experience with Montana Gold 124 gr Gold JHP in a 9mm 1911, and an S&W M&P9 and their 125 gr JHP in a .38 Sp. S&W 686.  All of these are loaded to minor power factors and in non-compensated guns and all work well.

 

I have also used Blue Bullets in the same guns and a couple of 9 mm PPC's with good results.

 

Now I notice the PD's are priced a bit above the Blue Bullets and a bit below the MGs for the equal quantities and all three offer free shipping so the price comparison is valid.  Are PD's worth the upcharge over the Blues and are they as good as the MGs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...