Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Blue Bullets for 9mm major?

chgofirefighter

22 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

Well, how much "accuracy" is needed?  If you want 1 MOA, of course you won't get it with nearly any pistol bullet in a handgun or a PCC. What level of accuracy do you expect and require?

With RMR bullets, a Ballistic advantage barrel and hand loads,  1.5-2 MOA, tried several coated bullet brands, couldn't get 5 on an 8" plate, always at least 1-2 fliers that missed.
We shoot out to  75-100 yds quite often. Just as with my pistol and rifle, I want the best accuracy possible - when I miss, I know it's me, not my equipment.
I'm not like 368, and rely on accuracy by volume. Why shoot 1 round to hit a target, when you could shoot 6-8😅

Edited by toothandnail

On 10/31/2019 at 3:16 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

Sorry for the thread drift but Precision Delta JHPs have been mentioned and recommended a few times in this thread so I'd like to get some thoughts about them. 

I have a fair bit experience with Montana Gold 124 gr Gold JHP in a 9mm 1911, and an S&W M&P9 and their 125 gr JHP in a .38 Sp. S&W 686.  All of these are loaded to minor power factors and in non-compensated guns and all work well.

I have also used Blue Bullets in the same guns and a couple of 9 mm PPC's with good results.

Now I notice the PD's are priced a bit above the Blue Bullets and a bit below the MGs for the equal quantities and all three offer free shipping so the price comparison is valid.  Are PD's worth the upcharge over the Blues and are they as good as the MGs?

PD are good bullets, I’ve never had any luck with Montana golds

black Friday/ cyber Monday is coming up and both blue bullets and PD had a great sale last year, I would buy a sample pack to try then then buy in bulk when the sales come

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 8:16 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

Sorry for the thread drift but Precision Delta JHPs have been mentioned and recommended a few times in this thread so I'd like to get some thoughts about them. 

I have a fair bit experience with Montana Gold 124 gr Gold JHP in a 9mm 1911, and an S&W M&P9 and their 125 gr JHP in a .38 Sp. S&W 686.  All of these are loaded to minor power factors and in non-compensated guns and all work well.

I have also used Blue Bullets in the same guns and a couple of 9 mm PPC's with good results.

Now I notice the PD's are priced a bit above the Blue Bullets and a bit below the MGs for the equal quantities and all three offer free shipping so the price comparison is valid.  Are PD's worth the upcharge over the Blues and are they as good as the MGs?

It all boils down to cost to some shooters, what works for others may not work for you.  Some prefer Blue Bullets, or other coated bullets, meanwhile others prefer MG or PD's.  If you purchase a lot of bullets per year or shoot 15k+ etc than the savings do add up~  I'm leaning towards PD's after I run out of my 8k rounds of Blue bullets and Ibijeads, I think that's their name lol~ 

• 1 year later...

I've been an avid RMR JHP user over the last couple of years, but given their price increase switching to Blue Bullets will save me over $1k/year @ 30K rounds/year.  I might have to give them a try. 

5 hours ago, clw42 said:

I've been an avid RMR JHP user over the last couple of years, but given their price increase switching to Blue Bullets will save me over $1k/year @ 30K rounds/year.  I might have to give them a try. 

Order .356. More accurate than .355 in open guns. No blow back

i ran blues in .356 tc for the past year in both open and pcc and have had no issues at all. If you dont clean your gun of course it will lead up. i have an ultrasonic and i just toss everything in there once every 5 or 6 matches and everything stays perfectly clean. 

i actually started casting my own lead bullets for open and pcc and those work perfectly.  I actually just shot a match yesterday using all my own lead cast bullets. why should i pay for blue prices when i can spend half the amount and get twice the amount of lead and cast them myself.

On 2/22/2021 at 4:20 AM, AverageJoeShooting said:

i ran blues in .356 tc for the past year in both open and pcc and have had no issues at all. If you dont clean your gun of course it will lead up. i have an ultrasonic and i just toss everything in there once every 5 or 6 matches and everything stays perfectly clean. 

i actually started casting my own lead bullets for open and pcc and those work perfectly.  I actually just shot a match yesterday using all my own lead cast bullets. why should i pay for blue prices when i can spend half the amount and get twice the amount of lead and cast them myself.

What solution are you running in your ultrasonic?

• 3 weeks later...

It’s amazing how fast things can change. 

I’ve always been in the “JHP’s aren’t that much more expensive all things considered” camp. But man how that has changed in a 12 month period. Prices have doubled and tripled. Availability is spotty. No bulk ordering or discounts. Might be deal breakers

I completely left plated and coated bullets behind years ago because the cost of FMJs and JHP’s was only a a buck or two when buying in bulk. Now I’m starting to try coated bullets again based on cost and availability.

I tried SNS and Gallant in the past and wasn’t impressed. Still much dirtier and not that much cheaper at the time.

Just ordered some Precision, and BBI. Think I’m gonna put an order in for Blues as well. Loaded up the BBIs to try tomorrow hopefully. BBI shipping was great btw. At my door in AZ in less than week.

Still not sure about coated in the open gun? I have about 10,000 Everglades JHPs left so I have a while to mull it over.

On 3/23/2021 at 10:48 AM, iflyskyhigh said:

It’s amazing how fast things can change. 

I’ve always been in the “JHP’s aren’t that much more expensive all things considered” camp. But man how that has changed in a 12 month period. Prices have doubled and tripled. Availability is spotty. No bulk ordering or discounts. Might be deal breakers

I completely left plated and coated bullets behind years ago because the cost of FMJs and JHP’s was only a a buck or two when buying in bulk. Now I’m starting to try coated bullets again based on cost and availability.

I tried SNS and Gallant in the past and wasn’t impressed. Still much dirtier and not that much cheaper at the time.

Just ordered some Precision, and BBI. Think I’m gonna put an order in for Blues as well. Loaded up the BBIs to try tomorrow hopefully. BBI shipping was great btw. At my door in AZ in less than week.

Still not sure about coated in the open gun? I have about 10,000 Everglades JHPs left so I have a while to mull it over.

This is exactly where I was coming from in my earlier post.  And it hasn't been 12 months for the price increases.  I get it, these guys are inundated with orders and backlog and they have to buy new equipment and hire more people.  On top of that the cost of raw materials is rising but the price difference is such that exploring alternatives has become necessary.  I may end up deciding it's worth the cost to switch back, but I have a fiduciary duty to myself to at least explore the possibility of using Blues.  I've used other coated bullets in the past and wasn't thrilled, but this is my first time trying Blue Bullets.  I guess I'll find out if they're any better than others.