Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

base pads for Shadow 2 mags

jmac2112

I've been shooting Production with my CZ Shadow 2 for about a year and a half now.  I've been using the stock mags with stock base pads, and so far I've never had a moment when I said to myself "Gosh, that reload would have gone a lot smoother if only I had something better than these crappy plastic base pads!"  😁   But seriously, it seems that most of the pros and a lot of us in the rank and file are using them, so there must be some advantage.  What exactly is it?  The only problem that I have that I could see being fixed by a larger base pad is my tendency to pinch the skin near the base of my thumb when shoving the mag in, but that alone might be worth it (I've drawn blood a couple of times). 

A second question:  I hear that some people have experienced a problem with overinsertion of the mag when using certain types of base pads.  This seems to be a problem only if you go to slide lock and then insert a mag really hard in order to get the slide to autoforward.  Maybe not a huge deal, but I have occasionally run the gun empty in competition, and I would not want to have to pull a mag back out of the gun in order to fix that problem on the clock.

A third question:  I got an email a while back from the Ben Stoeger Pro Shop announcing that they had new Shockbottle base pads for CZ that had undergone some slight revision, but I can't find out what the deal is.  I know that Shockbottle is one of the base pads that were involved in the overinsertion problem, so maybe they did something to fix that.  

A last question:  Any recommendations?  I actually have the money to spend on this sort of non-essential thing, but if I'm going to spend it I'd like to do so wisely.  I'm kind of leaning toward the Hennings, since I like the angle that matches the mag and fact that they specifically say that their pads won't cause overinsertion problems.  But really, I'm open to anything.

Thanks!

John

I like the Henning pro production base pads. Henning base pads are nice because they are flush with the front of the magazine. Henning base pads don’t over insert in either a shadow or shadow 2. The pro model is a little larger than the basic model and has some texture on the bottom and sides. 

On 10/10/2019 at 6:20 AM, jmac2112 said:

A second question:  I hear that some people have experienced a problem with overinsertion of the mag when using certain types of base pads.  This seems to be a problem only if you go to slide lock and then insert a mag really hard in order to get the slide to autoforward.  Maybe not a huge deal, but I have occasionally run the gun empty in competition, and I would not want to have to pull a mag back out of the gun in order to fix that problem on the clock.

A third question:  I got an email a while back from the Ben Stoeger Pro Shop announcing that they had new Shockbottle base pads for CZ that had undergone some slight revision, but I can't find out what the deal is.  I know that Shockbottle is one of the base pads that were involved in the overinsertion problem, so maybe they did something to fix that.  

The latest generation CZ pad is designed for the Shadow 2 and should not be able to be overinserted unless your frame is cut extra-short for some reason (we've seen a few, but they're rare)

I swear by Henning basepads. Work well with Henning grips. Havent been pinched ever. Empty mags drop free effortlessly and gives you some real estate to grab if you need to yank the mag out. 

Yeah, I've pretty much decided to go with the Henning.  Not that there is anything wrong with the others, but I like the design and the texture.   I would have bought them already, but it seems that everyone including Henning is out of them at the moment.  

2 hours ago, jmac2112 said:

Yeah, I've pretty much decided to go with the Henning.  Not that there is anything wrong with the others, but I like the design and the texture.   I would have bought them already, but it seems that everyone including Henning is out of them at the moment.  

Ben Stoeger Pro Shop has them. These are what I used for my production setup.

https://benstoegerproshop.com/henning-eaa-tanfoglio-small-frame-cz-75-uspsa-production-base-pad-basepad/

Thanks, George!   I was actually looking at the Pro model, which seems to be on backorder everywhere.  Looks like they would provide better traction in certain situations.  Can anyone comment who has used both?

I had purchased some of the henning pro base pads for my shadow 2 but ended up returning them.  I bought the red ones, but the red wasn't really a red, more a dark maroon and it just didn't match the cherry red of everything else....you can't shoot good if you don't look good darling...LOL!  I'm just going to either 3d print some red base pads or just hit the plastic factory basepads with some cherry red spray paint and call it a day.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:36 AM, jmac2112 said:

Thanks, George!   I was actually looking at the Pro model, which seems to be on backorder everywhere.  Looks like they would provide better traction in certain situations.  Can anyone comment who has used both?

The non pro model will over insert 

• 2 weeks later...

Hennings. Never a problem and I like the feel when grabbing them.  No over insertion issues on an S2 for me.

And CZ Custom. No problems there as well. I just happened to wind up with more Hennings these days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...