Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most durable carry optic

Overscore

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 11:35 AM, Overscore said:

Just to follow up at the OP here, I bit the bullet and splurged on a Trijicon SRO a couple months ago.  So far, it's been great, and I'm not too worried about my dot anymore.

My brother and I where in the exact same position as you, we originally had vortex venoms on our SP01’s and the elevation went out during the same match on both guns. Vortex of course replaced the optics but we ended up buying SRO’s and they have been great. The have more rounds down range than the venoms did, plus with the larger window it’s much easier to pick up and not loose the dot.

I´d say, buy at least 2 Dot´s. Send one back, use the 2nd. Choose not only about what you like the most, but also wich are the fastest to get repaird or replaced. Wich does have the best warranty´s etc.

I´m pretty sure, they all break at some point. Maybe that will get better the next years.  

On 11/22/2019 at 1:35 PM, Overscore said:

Just to follow up at the OP here, I bit the bullet and splurged on a Trijicon SRO a couple months ago.  So far, it's been great, and I'm not too worried about my dot anymore.

I have had great luck with my SRO 5moa  as well. Large window is great and I really like how easy it is to sight in and stays sighted in. Easy to turn off/on and the brightness adjustment is perfect for me especially compared to the Leupold Delta Point Pro. 

I’m really interested if the SRO will be the new gold standard reliability wise. It’s new but I’ve heard  it’s pretty much an RMR with a new window, don’t know if that’s true or not though.

3 hours ago, JLB-US said:

I’m really interested if the SRO will be the new gold standard reliability wise. It’s new but I’ve heard  it’s pretty much an RMR with a new window, don’t know if that’s true or not though.

Isn’t the hardened doctor the gold standard? I know a few guys running them on slides on Open guns with no issues

20 minutes ago, JLB-US said:

I’m no expert on open at all, but I think the slide ride carry optics guns with bic pin recoil springs are much harder on the dots than open guns with frame mounted dots.

Frame mounted dots last forever. I stated slide mounted on Open guns running doctor sights seem to hold up.

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

Isn’t the hardened doctor the gold standard? I know a few guys running them on slides on Open guns with no issues

In the old days !!!!!!!!!!!!! 

it seemed there were a few people bullet proofing/hardening sights.

I haven't heard anyone doing that lately. Wondered why folks weren't doing it to some of the newer gen sights

Who is currently bullet proofing sights?

10 hours ago, JLB-US said:

Sorry misread the slide part, if they are running on the slide on open guns without issue that is impressive.

3 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

In the old days !!!!!!!!!!!!! 

it seemed there were a few people bullet proofing/hardening sights.

I haven't heard anyone doing that lately. Wondered why folks weren't doing it to some of the newer gen sights

Who is currently bullet proofing sights?

Rick Steele , the Area 5 Director and at least a few of his shooting buddies run them on their SV’s up in northern Ohio. You could probably email him and he’d tell you where and when the last time he bought one.

So I stand corrected. It is DoctEr not Doctor.

You can google DoctEr red dot sight. This is from their website 

Can Docter USA rebuild or bulletproof my Red dot Sight?
Docter USA can completely rebuild or BULLETPROOF your sight to withstand any vibration or recoil. The cost for a complete rebuild or BULLETPROOFING is $195 plus $5 for return shipping. Please contact us for more information.

The sight costs $429 before bulletproofing 

• 1 month later...

I'm late to the party but I didn't see any mention of Vortex Razor red dot sights.  I watched a lot of CO and optic Steel Challenge shooters and asked a lot of questions before jumping into buying a red dot sight.  Of the few who were running Vortex Razor, they all mentioned never having any issues at all.  So went that route.

My first Razor red dot ran about 2k rounds on the slide of a G34 MOS then 20k rounds on a PPQ Q5 Match poly and is still going.  I haven't touched that thing at all except to change the battery and it still has a perfect 40 yard zero.

My second Razor red dot is on a second Q5 Match poly with about 5k rounds on it and zero malfunction.  Also perfect so far.

Third Razor red dot is on a Mk IV 22/45 with 3k rounds through it, zero malfunctions.  I know, not slide mounted but supposedly rimfires have some sort of different, magical optic destroying shock wave that may or may not be relevant.

My $0.02

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the SRO for a few months now. So far, I can find no reason not to like it. Which is saying a lot more than I could about my DPPs.

But hell, with any of these, you can find someone who's had a problem of some sort.

On 12/31/2019 at 2:35 PM, Abflyboy said:

I'm late to the party but I didn't see any mention of Vortex Razor red dot sights.  I watched a lot of CO and optic Steel Challenge shooters and asked a lot of questions before jumping into buying a red dot sight.  Of the few who were running Vortex Razor, they all mentioned never having any issues at all.  So went that route.

My first Razor red dot ran about 2k rounds on the slide of a G34 MOS then 20k rounds on a PPQ Q5 Match poly and is still going.  I haven't touched that thing at all except to change the battery and it still has a perfect 40 yard zero.

My second Razor red dot is on a second Q5 Match poly with about 5k rounds on it and zero malfunction.  Also perfect so far.

Third Razor red dot is on a Mk IV 22/45 with 3k rounds through it, zero malfunctions.  I know, not slide mounted but supposedly rimfires have some sort of different, magical optic destroying shock wave that may or may not be relevant.

My $0.02

I had the opposite experience with the Razor, killed 2 in very short time. Decided to use the 3rd replacement on something else. I've got a Venom on a different CO gun in the 10K range, no problems. Bought a Holosun 507c and 407a to try out, low rounds but so far so good. Hoping they bridge the gap between the 510/512 and the 407/507/8 with a big window pistol optic one of these days..