Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most durable carry optic

Overscore

Earlier this year, I had my slide milled so I could shoot carry optics in USPSA.  I went with a Vortex Venom optic, but haven't had good luck with it.  Shortly after owning it, the dot dropped, and I couldn't get it even close to re-zeroed.  Vortex sent me a replacement optic.  Great.  Then a few weeks ago, the aluminum frame around the grass broke, which then also broke the glass.  I'll be sending this second optic in for another replacement.  I don't intend to put this back on my gun, as I've lost confidence it this optic's ability to handle life on a reciprocating slide.  I still want to shoot carry optics, and I'm wondering what optic has the best (and justified) reputation for durability.  I don't care if it costs $85,000.

I've literally shot only about 1,000 rounds with an optic on my gun, and I've broken two.  I'm looking for a more satisfying experience than this.  With the abuse these things take, I don't expect them to last forever, and I understand the idea of owning two and rotating them, but I'd like that swap to be less frequent than monthly.

I shoot an M&P core 9L with a Vortex Viper on it and (fingers crossed), it has been reliable through many matches. I shoot light loads with it so maybe it doesn't get punished as much as those running over the counter ammo.

Unfortunately there is just not a good answer to this problem yet.  From a longevity standpoint, the Trijicon RMR is probably tops.  The downside is that it has a pretty small window. large bezel/frame, and the tint of the glass doesn't work for everyone.  For anything else, at this point take your pick but at least make sure it has a good warranty behind it because you will most likely need to use it.

Don't know how your slide is milled, but if they didn't put the little columns in to help locate your red dot, and the screws that hold it on are not fitted to the red dot, the dot moves just a tiny bit at the end of each stroke open and closed and it beats the heck out of your dot. You can try to use angle head screws to help center your dot and take that extra beating off your dot. As an aside, I've installed a Venom and a Viper on two different CO guns and they are doing okay after thousands of rounds, although I had a Venom break at the housing after about 14K rounds,,,

broke vortex.jpg

I went through two venoms in less than 1,000 rounds and sold the replacement Vortex sent me the second time. I just got the SRO and if this one doesn't last atleast 10,000, I'll probably  ditch CO. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a Trijicon RMR on a G29 for a few thousand rounds of 10mm SigAmmo. Had another RMR on a G20. Same ammo, fewer rounds.

As semi-auto recoil goes, that's pretty stout.

One of the RMR's got repurposed to a G3K clone that I use for short range HM 3gun matches. Not a ton of rounds through this setup (not a lot of HM match availability) but again this is a rifle that is pretty tough on optics. Not just for recoil but also for that big hunk of BCG metal slamming forward, too.

No issues with the RMRs

Edited by chauncey
G3K

On 9/6/2019 at 11:49 AM, B_RAD said:

I've got 15k on one of my DPP. I seem to be the exception not the rule. 

OP, I'd choose one you think you'll like and cross you're fingers.  They all seem to break. 

I also seem to be the exception. I have three DPP's, each with thousands of rounds on them (3k-10k) and have had no issues of any sort.  I have a feeling the majority of DPP owners are just carrying along fine with no problems to report and so there's no reason to discuss them online.

5 minutes ago, ClangClang said:

I also seem to be the exception. I have three DPP's, each with thousands of rounds on them (3k-10k) and have had no issues of any sort.  I have a feeling the majority of DPP owners are just carrying along fine with no problems to report and so there's no reason to discuss them online.

Your time is coming. 

I've since had a couple dots go down.  

My main one has 25k in it. My others are crapping out at around 5k. 

• 4 weeks later...

Where did the concept for this division come from ?

was it a gun company. 

or a optics company or just USPSA thinking this is new and looks like it’s got a lot of interest from the competitors. 

I Only ask because it seems like the failure rate for these frame mounted optics is ridiculous. I mean it could be in the 60% or more range. 

2 hours ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

Where did the concept for this division come from ?

was it a gun company. 

or a optics company or just USPSA thinking this is new and looks like it’s got a lot of interest from the competitors. 

I Only ask because it seems like the failure rate for these frame mounted optics is ridiculous. I mean it could be in the 60% or more range. 

it was campaigned for by members that wanted a Production Optics division. they were seeing the rise of slide mounted optics in the gun community as a whole and wanted a place for those guns to compete. 

From a reliability standpoint the dots are actually great in real world terms. 99% of people will never shoot 5000 rounds through their gun ever! 

We are the weird ones that don't think someone putting 30k through a gun in a year is odd at all, and we are such a small segment of the population its crazy and even more the number of us that actually shoot 5k+ a year is pretty small. 

28 minutes ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

Gotcha. So it really wouldn’t be reaching to say that this is a great place to test products for a real world application. 

Not that’s what’s happening. 

we are a great place to see how your product works, if it can break we will brake it.

shooting 50 or 100 rounds once or twice a year is way closer to the norm for most gun owners than what we do

i have shot probably 20k rds through my canik with a FF3 on top .  has never went down and only changed the battery once.  CS from Burris has been great. i called to inquire about a new battery cover as mine was scratched from battery replacement and they sent me 2 new ones for free.